Greetings from SoCal!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dooder

Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm coming back to my pipes after a while of time away. I noticed that the pipe community is considerably smaller than it was 20 years ago. Some of my favorite tobaccos are no longer available anymore either. Anyways I'm in the Los Angeles area and am hoping to find some local enthusiasts, informative threads and to hopefully have something useful to contribute. See you guys around!

Welcome! Still plenty of good blends out there but you may have to battle the hoarders for some of the frenzy tobaccos. I came back to it a little less then a year ago. Had 8lbs stashed and now around 25lbs. Figure if the tobacapocolypse happens I will have enough on hand to learn to grow my own and make ropes and plugs.

Thank you for the welcomes!

I was bummed that the Nording Hunters, Frog, and Springwater are no longer around. I had a tin of Springwater that has been sealed and marinating for about 18 years but that's now gone heehe. I had some Nording that was a few years old. A couple months ago I bought the last few tins of Nording Labrador that pipesandcigars.com had. I really enjoyed a tin of CAO Black recently.

I'm really finding enjoyment out of the heavy Latakia blends right now. I got a tin of Punch that was great, tried White Knight that's pretty good and my new favorite is Boswell's Rail Road Station. I picked up some Bengal slices and Fusilier's Ration recently. I'll let that marinate for a few months before I break into that. I found a sealed big tin of Mac Baren Black Ambrosia from 2014 in my stash. Never tried it before but hope I can sip on that until my other tins are ready to break into.

As far as pipes go I have a few of my old pipes and have been getting some new things. My old reliable is a 2002 Nording Hunters Moose. I have a couple other Nordings but that Moose is a real cool pipe and smokes great. I have an old large Wiley freehand that's interesting. After all these years I finally broke down and got a couple Boswell's. Have some Missouri Meerschaums too. I'm looking for a Neerup next.

If you’re looking for info (fact and opinion) you’ll certainly find it here. There are YEARS of posts on every imaginable pipe subject stored behind the search function. Welcome.

Greetings Dooder! Good to have you with us.

I too am a SoCal guy, located a bit south of you in South Orange County. There is a small but active piping community in SoCal, if you're looking to get involved and meet some of the more local brothers and sisters in person for a smoke. I am a member of both the Orange County and L.A. Pipe Clubs. Both meet monthly. If you want any info on them, please feel free to reach out.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy your time here on B.O.B. There're some mighty fine folks around here with a wealth of information to share.

BB

BriarBeagle":fqyjurf1 said:
Greetings Dooder!  Good to have you with us.

I too am a SoCal guy, located a bit south of you in South Orange County.  There is a small but active piping community in SoCal, if you're looking to get involved and meet some of the more local brothers and sisters in person for a smoke.  I am a member of both the Orange County and L.A. Pipe Clubs.  Both meet monthly.  If you want any info on them, please feel free to reach out.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy your time here on B.O.B.  There're some mighty fine folks around here with a wealth of information to share.

BB
Thank you for the kind welcome and recommendations. I saw the LA Pipe Club webpage, there's not much to look at, but it says they meet at an alehouse in Arcadia. It's like 20 mins from my place and I want to go but life has gotten in the way the past few meets. One of these times I'll make it out there.

I hope there better shops down south. Over here in Pasadena and some in LA, the cigar shops sell pipes and tobacco but only allow cigar smoking. I have to get back to things but thanks again for the welcoming and I hope to cross paths with you someday at an event.