greetings from the UK

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitobi

Reaction score
Hi all

names andy, 45 father of 4 ex military and now working in health services in the UK
long time cigar smoker, but total noob when it comes to pipes, so much to learn that I never knew existed!!
been trying various blends for the last 2-3 months and still unsure what I like and don't.

really enjoying the hobby of actually collecting pipes as well as using them, so far mostly using a corncob for sampling and im saving my 2 briars for re-trying blends that were good in the cob to see how they change.

so far really enjoyed macbaren cube silver. disliked other blends mainly the lesser tasting ones that were just tobacco, I have cigars for that itch.

today acquired some macbarren 7 seas gold, Gwaith Hoggarths American ultimum blend and Gwaith Hoggarths honey dew which ill be sampling over the next few days.

really looking for flavour and as I have a sweet tooth some background sweetness also, realised quite quickly that I cannot replicate the flavour profile of my loved shisha pipe for actually tasting the " flavour" of the fruit/blend on the pack so going for something close.

anyhoo enuff waffle and a warm hello

kind regards

andy

Ey up Andy. Pleased to make your acquaintance, and welcome to BoB.

You'll find a smattering of other mates from Ol' Blighty, Stick and Briar Spirit to name a few. They'll be along in due course to give you the secret handshake!

Where do you hail from? I know your green and pleasant land fairly well, having visited it some dozen times over the years.

Cheers,

RR

Welcome BoB! If you like sweet topped tobacco, may I suggest Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake? (more of a rum & maple flavor). Some of the GH twists sold for chewing tobacco also have some strong sweet flavors, and can be smoked.

"T"

hi all and thank you for the warm welcome

bredude I live in Plymouth ( down at the wet end of the country) if you know it

Dr T I have been reading a lot on here and read with interest that chewing tobaccos are smoke able, and sometimes sweeter, I will see if I can get hold of some to sample soon, will be trying some honeydew tonight when I get home from work tonight.

take care all :)

andy

[Rolls up his right trouser leg, bares his left breast and extends hand for secret handshake]

Hullo Andy old bean. One of the BoB's Blighty contingent here. Good to make your acquaintance matey!

Ex Service, living in Plymouth (Guz), I'll plump for RN? I'm from Exeter originally and was 'home' visiting the folks only 2 weeks ago. I'm now living in Shropshire. Many fond memories of Plymouth though. Is Ivor Dewdneys still there?

As it happens I know there's another fella and fellow BoB who lives in Plymouth, but I'll let him introduce himself. A jolly decent type he is too.

Looking forward to sharing a BoB bowl or two...

kitobi":1l9nlk6a said:
hi all and thank you for the warm welcome

bredude I live in Plymouth ( down at the wet end of the country) if you know it

Dr T I have been reading a lot on here and read with interest that chewing tobaccos are smoke able, and sometimes sweeter, I will see if I can get hold of some to sample soon, will be trying some honeydew tonight when I get home from work tonight.

take care all :)

andy
Andy: some of the twists certainly are smokable: https://mrsnuff.com/gawith-hoggarth-twist-c-186_188.html

Some of the flavors wouldn't appeal to me, but the sweet pigtail, sweet coffee, and sweet rum were good!

"T"

lol stick, yes I am also a brother of the craft, so happy to share or half a password with you

not navy although I did work for them for a while as a civvy instructor for a few years

I was Devon and Dorset light infantry until 2007 then we were rebadged to the rifles, saddest day when we were in Exeter cathedral and our colours were laid to rest, although the next year I was invited to have a garden lunch party with her majesty the queen, so not all memories of rifles were negative.
we were based in Wyvern in Exeter with detachments in Plymouth, did 10 years and 6 of them as a Sgt instructor training new recruits.

Dr T thank you sir, I am looking to expand my tobacco learning, i'm on holiday from the 16th in Majorca ( cant wait!!) but when I get back in July I will be looking for new ideas.
already did a reccy on Google earth and found a good baccy shop in Majorca ill be visiting when we are there so see what Spain can offer but if nothing good ill order when home.

Welcome, Old Boy! :cheers:

The Cube series is really great, one of the very few aromatics I enjoy. Silver is the best of the 3.

kitobi":ieh6qhmv said:
lol stick, yes I am also a brother of the craft, so happy to share or half a password with you

not navy although I did work for them for a while as a civvy instructor for a few years

I was Devon and Dorset light infantry until 2007 then we were rebadged to the rifles, saddest day when we were in Exeter cathedral and our colours were laid to rest, although the next year I was invited to have a garden lunch party with her majesty the queen, so not all memories of rifles were negative.
we were based in Wyvern in Exeter with detachments in Plymouth, did 10 years and 6 of them as a Sgt instructor training new recruits.
Wow, small world. I was born in the Royal Devon and Exeter, only 200 yards or so from Wyvern Barracks. And then as a lad I was in the ATC and our HQ was based at Wyvern Barracks! We may have even worked out of the same room! Good job on your Service time matey. Top respect.

hey all

thankyou stick, yup its a small world really which is amazing thinking of how many people actually use the internet!! had many happy days at wyvern and many unhappy mornings running around its walls at 6am lol..

we were in Exeter a few days ago, sat outside the cathedral and had some food on the grass, happy days :)

on a related note just paid for my first meerschaum pipe, expecting it in the post soon, pics as soon as it arrives :) bargain on fleabay

AMERICA! Sorry, completely instinctual. Welcome. Glad to have another Brother from across the pond. Enjoy.