Greetings from Virginia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunello

Reaction score
With the disappearance of pipe shops in my area I sort of let the hobby fade away over the years. I was down to just a single bowl of vintage (1979) Balkan Sobranie every year for my birthday. Then one day I did a Google search and discovered a whole world of online retailers and a vibrant community of fellow pipe smokers!

But it seems I missed the Golden Years when everything was available online, because I landed right in the middle of all the FDA mania and disappearing import brands. I've put my other hobbies on hold and spent all my expendable income trying to catch up on blends that are disappearing faster than I can buy them. I know a lot of hobbyists are doing the same and holding off on buying pipes, and that makes it tough for any remaining retailers to survive because pipes and accessories are where the profit is at, tobacco being a low margin "convenience."

Anyhow, happy to have found some fellow enthusiasts to join in keeping the piping culture alive!

Very happy to have you among the brethren. Better late than never.

btw, that avatar pic looks interesting. What pipe is that? Italian perhaps?

:D

Cheers,

RR

Welcome to the group. Glad you are getting back into it and are able to get some blends you are looking for, there are still plenty of good ones out there

The pipe in the avatar is one of those inexpensive Golden Gate pipes from Ukraine. I chose it only because it is one of the few pipes to fit in that antique knight in armor pipe holder that I like.

I know I said I've been focused solely on tobacco, but I have bought a few pipes online. I have two Golden Gates, each cost about $45 delivered. Evidently the quality of the briar varies. One gets quite hot to the the touch, while the other smokes better than the last two new Petersons I bought. But maybe I'ts too soon to open that can of worms.

BriarBeagle":8wlug7gc said:
Welcome to the funny farm.  Straight jackets will be handed out after your fire hose shower. :cheers:
...and then there's the 'initiation' ;)