Greetings! I'm coming out of my laughably early retirement!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernLights

Reaction score
Greetings!

I began smoking a pipe when I was about 17, shortly after beginning cigars on occasion at 16. I started with my father's pipe, which he had given me years ago for keepsakes, after quitting all forms of the leaf. I wandered down to the local variety store, and bought some Amphora blend. Acrid stuff. The pipe itself is not a good smoker, although I love the look of it.

Over the next few years I began a small collection. Buying online, and hunting in antique stores. Found a really neat, extremely blocky oddity that I loved. Poor girl's hole was a good 4 mm up one side, but I loved her so that I spent hours researching this pipe mud, bought a couple cigars (Oh, the torture!) and doctored her up.

After some research, finally bit the bullet and bought my first brand new, good smoking pipe, a Brigham 3 Dot. Tried my (not handy) hand at restoring some estate pipes, even had a GBD that I found at an antique shop.

My fave blend is Brigham's Cambridge Blend. I have *very* little experience with different tobaccos, as I have no friends who smoke pipes. All cigars! Knew I hated aromatics, and wanted to try more quality tobaccos. (Yes, I know Cambridge is a 50% aro.) Tried a few loose blends from a shop. I do enjoy blends with a fair bit of Latakia. However, if I have a Latakia heavy blend, I need to have at least one other, zero Latakia on hand. It's not an all day, every day smoke for me.

Was talked into a tin of Samuel G.'s Perfection. Loathed the stuff. Nice front aromas, but the finish and aftertaste had a weird funk that was absolutely horrible to my palate. I tried to like it, for 3 or 5 bowls. Actually made me nearly wretch, and I threw out my small cardboard smoke box that I kept all my paraphernalia in because it reeked like the stuff.

At the ripe old age of 21 or so, I retired, for a number of reasons. Sold all the pipes, save for my dad's, and my Brigham 3 Dot. Man I wish I had kept my blocky oddity. Gentlemen, NEVER throw away or sell a pipe you love, even if you swear you'll never smoke again. Keep it, or gift it to someone!

But boy did I miss enjoying a pipe, trying new tobaccos, and checking out new pips. So with a Brigham 3 Dot in my hand, and near zero tobacco knowledge, I'm looking to get back into it.

I've joined the mailing list for a local pipe club that meets once a month. Not 100% sure where to start to get to familiarize myself with the different *good quality, non-aromatic* tobaccos.

What I'd love to do is to buy a handful of pipes that look like they will be excellent smokers, but have little value because they are unbranded, or poor man's brands, or blemished, from someone who just has way too many and wants to clear some space.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to try great tobaccos, without having to buy whole tins. I'm thinking about trying to get some Canadians (only to avoid customs problems) together to start a "tin sample group" of sorts. We would vote on the tins, one person would buy them and then divide and mail the samples out. Not sure what the best course is.

Any advice as to how to best acquire a handful of excellent smoking (but not necessarily "nice") pipes at a good price, and ways to try various quality tobaccos would be greatly appreciated! Also, recommendations on a reference in terms of categories, or classes of tobacco blends that I should try, would be awesome. Are there such things as 'families' of blends, where each one shares certain characteristics?

I want to stay away from pipes that have been smoked more than just a few times. Ideally not at all.

Look forward to chatting with you all :)

Welcome to the forums NL! Maybe check out pipesandcigars.com samplers that they offer. If you and 4 of your like minded friends went in on a $20 sampler, you could get your feet wet for $4 each, or one of the $40 samplers at $8 each. Here is the link to their sampler page-http://pipesandcigars.com/samplers.html

I remember when I first started buying pipe tobacco, I was really disappointed that there was no clear definition between aromatics and non-aromatics. After you educate yourself, you will most likely begin to learn what you are looking for, just by reading the tin descriptions. Also, googling pipe reviews online can be a great way to get educated. Of course, you can always come here to the forums and get lot's of advice about particular blends that you cannot already find that have already been discussed using the search function.

Also, brand names can tell you a lot about certain tobaccos. My favorite brands that tend to shy away from heavy casings, are G.L. Pease, McClelland, Rattray's, and Samuel Gawith.

Even brand names such as MacBaren that are known for heavily cased aros, can also have some high quality tobaccos in their line that tend to please the nonaromatic smoker.

Welcome to the BoB. Glad to have you on board. The advice Dutch gave is, as with all of his advice, right on. Concerning good pipes that are cheap let me say that Missouri Meerschaum  Corn Cobs are a sure bet. Most seasoned pipe smokers began by smoking corn cobs and they still have some in their regular rotation. They're inexpensive, readily available, require no break in, and provide an excellent smoke. I suggest the Country Gentleman, the Legend, and the Washington as the styles that offer the best diversity and will fulfill all of your requirements. Keep us posted on your progress and feel free to join in our discussions and ask any questions you might have. As you will soon discover we have the best pipe smoking forum on the web and our members are the best of the best. I'm proud to be a member and grateful for all that I've learned here.

AJ

Welcome (back?). I had a similar encounter with a Samuel Gawith product....

Check out Pipeworks & Wilkie and Boswell blends, they both will put together "Sample Packs" of their fine products for you and are great to deal with. Smoking pipes.com also has tinned sample packs and i believe they have a cob pipe bulk bag (10 or so) on slight cosmetic rejects from MM for a great price. Can't beat them and perfect for sampling.

What Dutch and Aj said. Welcome...they are both right. This is the best forum you will find. Great people, outstanding in ever way. So join in...

Have a local tobacco shop? Or you can do this online . . . Ask for a couple ounces of a Virginia, also a Latakia blend (not too strong), also a burley and a quality aro. (Not something that will goop up the briar.)  Then just puff away for awihle 'til you have the general idea of what each one tastes like. After that, you're free to wander as you please.

Sold my 70 pipes and ~125 lbs of tobacco a year ago. Came back. Now have about a dozen pipes and 159 lbs. You're right, never sell your stuff.

Welcome! I'm new here too, and did the same as you. Had a pipe and a few tobaccos about 10 years ago. Have em away, but shouldn't have.

Now I'm back with a handful of pipes and bunch of samples.

Cornell&Diehl will put together a little sampler for you too, you just have to call em

Welcome aboard and welcome back to the wide world of piping. Hope you find your stride :D