Greetings!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpt.retro

Reaction score
I've been lurking on this forum for a while and I decided to join as it appears to be one of the best communities out there. I'll share a brief story of my rather short pipe smoking journey.

I've smoked roll your own cigs for more than a decade, mostly Golden Virginia and Amber Leaves with the occasional cigar. I was gifted a basket pipe with some Captain Black many years ago, but it wasn't a pleasant affair due to my inexperience. Fast forward to 2020, I decided that I no longer enjoyed cigarettes and I realized I was smoking them during the day like it was a "duty". I always try to savor the moment when it comes to whisky or coffee with a quality over quantity attitude, and I wanted to apply this to tobacco. As a result, I quit smoking cigs and I got rid of the addiction part. After 2 months of no smoking, I began my piping journey armed with good advice using a corn cob and English blends. Now, I own a few briars and a healthy stock of English and Va/Per blends. I smoke a bowl or two a day, and I try to make the most out of it.

That's my story!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard sir, your experience sounds very similar to mine, I'd rather savour the experience, though that doesn't stop me pigging out when I enjoy something. I've been known to go through a 50g tin in less than a wek. When I started piping I was at six or seven bowlfuls of English blends per day, that is now down to one or two if that. My whisky comsumption on the other hand is propbably best not mentioned. :whistle:

Welcome Capt, I’ve found this to be a most enjoyable site with some excellent folks and I’ve learned quite a bit having been pretty green in the ways of piping myself.