Group size??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
What exactly are the rough categories of grouping bowls? I cannot seem to really get it down. I realize it a standard for Dunhill sizing that ( I think) is applied to pipe bowl in general...but I just cannot get the system of rating....anyone?

Davey the Ignorant

In general the higher the number the bigger the bowl in height, width, and smoking chamber diameter, and the longer the length. In Dunhill pipes the numbers are not consistent so you may find a Group 5 that holds as much tobacco as a Group 6, thus saving money. OB, specialty and root flamegrain series may also have an XL stamped on them.

Davey":qmsefbwb said:
What exactly are the rough categories of grouping bowls? I cannot seem to really get it down. I realize it a standard for Dunhill sizing that ( I think) is applied to pipe bowl in general...but I just cannot get the system of rating....anyone?

Davey the Ignorant
Your trypical sized pipe is a group 4... Not too big,not too small,let's call it the average size of any drugstore pipes you'll see i.e. Graybows or Medicos. I myelf prefer a little bigger group sized pipe.My average would be considered a group 6 or even larger.I find that a Group 4 sized bowl does'nt last long enough for me to bother filling & lighting. :eek:

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

Ok, good start here.

Points of reference: My 80s..group 4? I have a Stanwell 624 inbound- it's 13/16 inside by 1 3/4" deep...group 5?

peterson Prince bowl 3/4" by 1 1/4" deep....group 3?

Thanks fellas.

Oh, a Comoy Meer. 13/16" by 2" deep...group 6??