Gun Cleaning Patches - great pipe bowl cleaners

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoosierPuffer

Reaction score
Well, for the first time tonight, I gave my main pipe a good cleaning.

The day after I smoke my pipe, I always take it apart and clean it well with doubled up pipe cleaners.

The other week I ordered some pipe sweetener cleaner. I finally decided to use it (and smoke my Peterson Calabash instead) as I've decided to dedicate the Savinelli Bing's Favorite to Virginias.

Lo and behold it had quite the gummy buildup in the bowl from the Shortcut To Mushrooms and occasional aromatic blend! :shock:

So, I set out to cleaning it.

I decided to really clean the bowl down - removing most of the cake. (I know you're not really supposed to do this, but I wanted that sludge OUT! :x )

I was cleaning it on my bench (where I clean my firearms) and low and behold there were some gun cleaning patches. :idea: "I know! I'll swab my bowl out with these after putting a little cleaner on them!"

Worked like a charm!

So, I definitely recommend using gun cleaning patches to clean out that bowl should you need to. They are designed to hold alcohol-based liquids (like my pipe cleaner fluid) and withstand some tough sludge without tearing.

They fit the ticket!

Hermit":9lik39uf said:
A twelve gauge brass bore brush works well too.
Just don't use gun cleaning solvent. :lol!:
Ooops That explains the rancid taste in my mouth! :joker:

I will always fondly remember the smell of Hoppes #9 and cosmoline.
When I smell either it takes me back to my teen's and my first surplus
military rifle. :)

Winslow :sunny: