Gurgle or not

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have been smoking a pipe for a couple years. I tend to smoke it on the hot side, and before the end I usually get some gurgle. I do smoke mostly aromatics that I dry to my liking before I smoke. (not looking for advice on how to stop that)

I do have one used Neerup churchwarden that has not gurgled at all. its a bigger bowl than any of the others I have and was curious as to the opinions of why it doesnt gurgle.

neerup.jpg

Do you normally clench? Sometimes saliva can travel back down the stem over the course of a bowl and eventually add enough moisture to give you gurgles.

If you aren't clenching the churchwarden, that won't be an issue. Just a guess!

Sometimes a new stem can make a huge difference. I had a couple of gurgly Petes and when I had new stems made they stopped. I think the air flow was improved. Or something.

I’ve got a couple of Neerup churchwardens like that one and they never gurgle. Not sure but it’s probably because you are smoking aromatics. There’s no way I can clench those pipes for more than a second by the way.

Sorry. I put this comment in the wrong discussion thread. A member was asking for help with a tight stem fit and I was giving him the advice about using beeswax as a lubricant solution.

That is a good idea. Where did you get your stems done?
Sorry not to reply sooner scallywag. I'm not checking in as frequently these days.

Long time BoB member George Dibos of Precision Pipe Repair made them for me. I haven't seen him post in a while but look him up. Incredible stem work.