Guy ordered not to smoke in HIS house...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermit

Reaction score
Temporary injunction bars man from lighting up inside his Washington home after neighbors sue
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/10/temporary-injunction-bars-man-from-lighting-up-inside-his-washington-home-after/

WASHINGTON –  A temporary order by a Superior Court judge is keeping a man from smoking inside his home in the District of Columbia.

WJLA-TV reports that Edwin Gray's next door neighbors in northeast Washington have filed a civil suit claiming they're being harmed by smoke that sneaks into their home through a hole in the basement. They are seeking an injunction and $500,000 in damages.

A judge issued a temporary injunction last week saying neither Gray nor any family or guests may smoke in the home the family has owned for 50 years. Gray's sister, Mozella Johnson, says they will fight.

In court filings and a statement, the neighbors say they tried to work with Johnson and Gray, and filed suit when mediation attempts failed.

WJLA-TV reports
WASHINGTON (WJLA) – Under D.C.'s new law, anyone can smoke pot in their home. But a temporary decision by a Superior Court judge means one man in the District can't light up anything at his home—including pot and cigarettes. The 7 On Your Side I-Team found the decision could also impact you.

Edwin Gray loves a cigarette to relax, but now he's got to smoke them outside.
"You want me to stop what I've been doing in my house, all my life,” he said.
Gray is not quitting cold turkey by choice. Instead, it's by a temporary order of the court that Gray can no longer light up in the Northeast D.C. home that's been owned by his family for 50 years.
"We were floored," said Gray's sister, Mozella Johnson.
Johnson says she was shocked a lawsuit filed by neighbors who moved in last year could now dictate what the family can do inside its home.
D.C. real estate attorney and Washington Post columnist Benny Kass was also surprised to learn a judge recently issued a temporary injunction in the civil lawsuit filed by Gray and Johnson's neighbors. Court filings show the couple that moved in next door has one child and another on the way. They claim they're being harmed by smoke they say sneaks into their home through a hole in the basement.
"I think it’s an excellent precedent to start, so people can realize you can't just ignore your neighbor," Kass said. "Your home is no longer your castle."
But with no moat and only shared walls in many D.C. homes, the habits of your neighbor can rise to what Kass calls a private nuisance. A judge agreed in a decision last week, saying in the injunction that Johnson, Gray and any guests or family cannot smoke cigarettes, cigars or marijuana in their home—even if it's legal in the city where they live.
"If this judge has done this, who will be next? What other neighbor will be next?" Johnson asked.
She and her brother are vowing to continue fighting. Kass believes others may fight as well, with this decision setting precedent for public nuisances in the District.
"I think this is going to open the door to a lot of thinking, a lot of cases," Kass said. "I gotta believe once this comes out there's going to be 100 cases filed in Superior Court tomorrow."
The couple suing Johnson and Gray declined 7 On Your Side’s request for an interview. Court filings and a statement they supplied to ABC7 say they tried to work with Johnson and Gray, but had to file suit when mediation attempts failed. In addition to the injunction, their lawsuit asks for $500,000 in damages. The case is ongoing.
Why don't the assholes just fix the hole in the basement?   :evil:

Hermit":d5zwfush said:
Why don't the assholes just fix the hole in the basement?   :evil:
My exact sentiments or he should start complaining about the smell coming from
there home, like there toxic methane gas. That outta be worth a couple 100 grand.
If this isn't a frivolous law suit I don't know what is. :suspect:

I fully support the couple in this.. He smoked in his house and it may or may not have found its way into my home too! I want half of the $500,000.

JUST 500K? Second hand smoke is worth at LEAST 2 to 3 mill I'd say !! :twisted: :twisted:

The poor guy probably can't sell his home, either. Who would want THOSE neighbors.

How come no one has mentioned the third hand smoke yet? If he has smoked in that house for 50 years, there's no telling how many casualties have taken place within a 50 mile radius, and been attributed to death by natural causes.

This certainly borders on genocide, but I'm not sure if the courts will find that a group of a$$holes could be considered an ethnic group. If this isn't a classic case for a class action lawsuit, I don't know what is. :confused:

WTF!?!?! EFF them. The injunction says cigarettes, cigars, and marijuana. I'd start chain smoking pipes every waking minute. FU#* them. Tell those whiny britches to tape some plastic over the hole and get over themselves. This just pisses me off to no end.

Ever heard the phrase "a hanging judge?" It refers to a judge that doesn't mollycoddle criminals. The image I have in my mind after reading this is slightly different...a judge, hanging. Get my drift?

This is just foolishness. Fixing the hole would probably solved this some time before it got out of hand. I'm guessing there is more to this than is being reported.

Jevverrett":31irg0et said:
This is just foolishness. Fixing the hole would probably solved this some time before it got out of hand. I'm guessing there is more to this than is being reported.
That's usually the case. The no smoking part is more the focus than the whole story !! :twisted: :twisted:

Become obsessed with tunes with heavy bass lines; begin playing them at midnight; no need for a lot of volume, the bass will get the china buzzing.

Agree it sounds like there is some history to this. "Nobody can mind their own business" is a paraphrase of the "It takes a village etc." philosophy.

I work in the DC metro area, and although I didn't see the specific neighborhood this occurred in, it wouldn't surprise me if this is also related to the NEW vs OLD DC and Gentrification.  Not long ago some of newly moved-in members of a different up-and-coming neighborhood in DC complained to the city council about sirens being too loud in the area and waking up their baby....the sirens were from a nearby firehouse that has been there for roughly 100 years.

Hey, I only picked up on this thread now. Some of that smoke could have ended up in the stratosphere and landed here in SA (cough, cough).

I want. . . no, demand, my share of that dough.

The thoughtless, murdering bastard!