HAD attack!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billmess

Reaction score
That's right, no typo, a HAD attack. Today I received 24 lbs. of honey from Florida.
This is going to be my first attempt at making mead. If anyone shows any interest in this post I will keep everyone updated.
So, with any luck everyone will be welcome to come over to my house for some aged mead and tobacco.

Bill

Hey! better idea, why dont you just bring some damsels in distress out to Montana with that there mead. I'll drop the bridge over the moat, and open my castle to ya.

:D :D :D

Just joshin with ya bill, but hey, good on ya, I hope it comes out good for ya.
I dont drink anymore, but somethin like that sparks my interest , just wondering what it used to be like for them back in those days.

Have you done this before, ? or is it your first try at it ?

It is my first attempt but have done alot of research.

Bill

I'm very interested in hearing how this turns out for you, Bill. I love all types of homemade booze :cheers:

I tried some mead a little while back at a friends house. He's very into the homebrew thing as well.

Keep us posted!

I love all types of homemade booze that doesn't cause blindness! :cheers:

I also like mead. Just finished a bottle of this stuff:

Klapojster%20Mjod.jpg

I have never had mead. I do like beer and honey. What exactly is mead? A brew sweetened with honey or do the sugars in the honey ferment?

I will have to buy some to try. We went on a tour at Bacardi a couple of months back. I thought fermented molasses was great but cannot wait to try honey. :cheers:

A friend of mine made mead not to long ago. 1st batch turned out really bad but instead of tossing it, he let it sit in the bottles for 6 months to a year and tried it again. Low and behold it was amazing after sitting. The batches he has made since then have been great. So the lesson is, if you don't like it, don't dump it just let it marinate for a while. Kinda like Tobacco.

Mead is great stuff and you can do a lot with it. Add a little of your favorite fruit juice to it (real fruit juice) before fermentation. Really good with a hint of cherry.

Just an update. The first pack of yeast that I tried to activate did not do so well. For some stupid reason I used tap water which killed my yeast. Luckily I did not pitch the yeast into my carboy. However, the two following attempts were successful and those two batches are fermenting as I type this.

Bill

I'm not a brewer myself, but mead was REALLY popular in brewing circles here in the early 90's. Do yourself and your friends a favor: keep it simple. The fad got out of control when folks started getting cute with it. Cran-apple mead. Cherry chocolate mead. Mountain Dew mead. Soon the novelty became the norm. It's hard to compare the subtlety of different organic honey blends when all you can find is the latest blueberry/saffron/orangutan brew.

George,

This is great advice and I will try to adhere to it.

Thanks,
Bill

George Kaplan":guhewm1t said:
I'm not a brewer myself, but mead was REALLY popular in brewing circles here in the early 90's. Do yourself and your friends a favor: keep it simple. The fad got out of control when folks started getting cute with it. Cran-apple mead. Cherry chocolate mead. Mountain Dew mead. Soon the novelty became the norm. It's hard to compare the subtlety of different organic honey blends when all you can find is the latest blueberry/saffron/orangutan brew.
Actually the best mead I ever tasted was brought to a graduation party in Pittsburgh by a hardcore home brewer. Of all the varieties he had, the jalepeno mead tasted the best. It sounds disgusting, but it was just a wee bit of jalepeno to give it a touch of spice. Excellent stuff. Brew it for a longer period of time rather than a shorter. The sweet stuff is gross.