HAD

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger107

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Afternoon all. Okay, besides PAD and TAD I also suffer from HAD (horse acquisition disorder). Gentlemen, meet Kings Warrior Cochise, aka Cochise. A 15/1 hand buckskin, 3/4 quarter horse and 1/4 Tobiano Paint. Believe me, for what he cost, I could have bought a ton of pipes and tobacco, lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211031-154738_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20211031-154738_Messages.jpg
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20211031-155150_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20211031-155150_Messages.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 84
Congrats, Looks to me like a beautiful horse.Hopefully you will have many happy years and adventures together.

Cochise looks to be quite happy.
He must have taken a liking to you already.

As I've written previously, my first wife was an avid competitive equestrian. She persuaded me to buy her a horse when we lived in Northern Minnesota. He was a gelding, failed race horse. For a reason I don't understand but I've mentioned in a past post, he liked me and always nuzzled me, but detested the ex. He was a lot more perceptive than I was.

I think Cochise knows that you'll treat him well and that you'll have a mutual respect.

Last edited:
My wife loves your horse. She thinks you should rename him with some kind of Halloween related name…Jack (jack-o-lantern)…Diablo…Phantom…Casper…Freddie…Hannibal…Bones…Lucifer…Sauron…Spooky…for just a few of her ideas.

Such a beauty. How old is he? Is he just for fun or will he be a worker?
He just turned 14. Strictly pleasure, trail riding, parades, maybe carry a flag at the rodeo. His "working" days are over. He's been a ranch horse in the past but the last 4/5 years he's primarily been ridden here in the mountains. Super gentle, bomb proof, sweet disposition.

His "working" days are over. He's been a ranch horse in the past but the last 4/5 years he's primarily been ridden here in the mountains. Super gentle, bomb proof, sweet disposition.
"Ah, semi-retirement. It's gonna be fun" said Cochise.

My wife loves your horse. She thinks you should rename him with some kind of Halloween related name…Jack (jack-o-lantern)…Diablo…Phantom…Casper…Freddie…Hannibal…Bones…Lucifer…Sauron…Spooky…for just a few of her ideas.
That's a nice suggestion and since I did officially get him on Halloween it would seem appropriate. However, there is an old cowboy superstition about renaming a horse. Not sure I believe in it but I like the name Cochise, although Diablo has a nice ring to it.

"Ah, semi-retirement. It's gonna be fun" said Cochise.
Yep, that's probably why he looks happy. No more chasing steers, dragging calves, cutting cattle. Just hang around the stables, eat, get treats, and take my fat ass for an easy ride couple times a week.

Believe me, for what he cost, I could have bought a ton of pipes and tobacco, lol.
"Susan Brown, program manager for Second Stride, a horse rescue nonprofit with farms in Prospect and Pleasureville, says it costs $900 per month to care for a horse, not counting veterinary or farrier costs."

That number doesn't surprise me. In 1974 I paid $150 to $175 per month for stall rental, feed, etc. In today's inflated dollars that's close to $900. Supporting a horse is kind of like alimony, without the arguing.

"Susan Brown, program manager for Second Stride, a horse rescue nonprofit with farms in Prospect and Pleasureville, says it costs $900 per month to care for a horse, not counting veterinary or farrier costs."

That number doesn't surprise me. In 1974 I paid $150 to $175 per month for stall rental, feed, etc. In today's inflated dollars that's close to $900. Supporting a horse is kind of like alimony, without the arguing.
Actually not that bad around here. Board where I stable him is only $325 a month. Farrier every 2 months is another $125. Worming and annual shots maybe $200. Biggest expense with him was the 15K purchase price
But worth every penny. Good well trained geldings are at a premium around here, especially buckskins. But a sound well trained mountain horse can go for up to 25K.

Yep, that's probably why he looks happy. No more chasing steers, dragging calves, cutting cattle. Just hang around the stables, eat, get treats, and take my fat ass for an easy ride couple times a week.
Plus, he gets to meet your lovely wife, maybe take her out for a leisurely stroll and make you jealous. That horse must be so happy!