Haddo's at 5 y/o

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
Five years ago, I opened a tin of fresh Haddo's and smoking it was an interesting but overwhelmingly intense affair. I smoked 3 bowls of it and jarred the rest up. Shortly after, Shane Ireland had gifted me a nice bit of this blend from 2002 which I recently finished turning to ash. I loved every puff of it. Wanting some more, and not having any as well aged, I unearthed that jar from 2012. It has darkened down a bit, and wow does it smoke well. There's a hint of the brandy in the room note and on the finish, but the intense acerbic, rotten banana twinge of its youth has been replaced by a gentle sweetness and a clarity that's quite remarkable. Spicy yes, but perfectly toned down with ample richness in flavor strength. I think I like this better than the 10 year old stash I smoked. I hardly need anymore tobacco, but I think I need to cellar up for 2022. :face:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Chris. Like you I find aging it a few years hammers it place near the top of the list of great VaPers in stone. I've never smoked any that was more than 5 years old but I find that most blends, that are aged, reach their peak of goodness around the 5 year mark. :)  

AJ

AJ":ap5rs4i0 said:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Chris. Like you I find aging it a few years hammers it place near the top of the list of great VaPers in stone. I've never smoked any that was more than 5 years old but I find that most blends, that are aged, reach their peak of goodness around the 5 year mark. :)  

AJ
I agree. Especially when it comes to perique heavy vapers. A beautiful smoke, Haddo's. And surely one to put away a few tins of for future enjoyment

DrumsAndBeer":4vshk9x7 said:
I agree. Especially when it comes to perique heavy vapers. A beautiful smoke, Haddo's. And surely one to put away a few tins of for future enjoyment
I agree with you 110%! Last year I smoked a bowl of Haddo's when it was fresh and I remember posting these exact words...." I wasn't delighted "! This is definitely one blend due to the Perique that needs a few years of aging. I too noticed after a few years how much darker the blend was and an extremely enjoyable smoke. Definitely worth the wait :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

That's funny, it seems like we all feel the same about Haddo's. Fresh from the tin it's a little too top heavy for my taste...meaning the topping is very present. I had the pleasure of smoking some 5+yo stuff and it was a totally different beast. Wonderful.