Haddo's Delight

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas james

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
I'm not a reviewer but it IS time for Haddo's to have it's bells rung again. I am working on a 04/06 tin that is just singing to me.

Anyone?

I enjoy Haddo's, it's on my list of favorite VA/Pers. The Perique is evident without being overstated and the VAs are of the highest quality. There appears to be a bit of Cavendish present to add a little sweetness and I like the pouch aroma. It also has a pleasant room note. All in all, a top flight tobacco.

Smokey

I may have more to say about Haddos in addition to my review, but I doubt it. I felt absolutely confident in what I wrote; I felt I thoroughly understood the blend.

I have just over 5 lbs in the cellar but am waiting until my youngest tin has 3 or 4 years of age before I open it.

I need to dig in the cellar again. I did a trade the other day and I needed a Haddos tin. Only found one. :( I need to look around down there and see if some restocking is in order.

I've yet to appreciate this blend (ok, ban me if you must for such blasphemy).

I've a tin with quite some age on it I may have to visit. I've tried it with at least a year of age. To me to is very complex, but not harmoneous. A cacaphony of flavors and, for me, too much perique.

But it has been a while and so many, whose tastes I admire, love it so. Soon, I'll study it again. Perhaps this Spring.

thanks for the encouragement,

TC

I recall having several tins open at the same time for some strange reason. The differences in how they had aged were remarkable. Sometimes the blend retains the mix of color and other times it's all very dark brown. I don't recall the why at the time.

Getting old I guess. I may have sent a couple of those to another Bob for him to experience.

In the spirit of resurrecting old threads, I had to pick this one from 08.

I am a huge fan of Haddo's. Probably my favorite blend that I smoke in spring and summer. Its light and almost citrus. Love the perique!

Brewdude":r5j7qdeo said:
One of my all time faves. Recently splashed out on some aged tins from pipestud's site. Will be opening one soon!

8)

Cheers,

RR
Oh yeah! I forgot about that site. Great place for stuff like that.

I have a nice little stash of Haddos. Special occasion smoke for me, as it packs a punch!

I'll have to try this as I just can't get into VaPers. The ones IVe tried just seem to taste like cigarettes to me. I'm not sure why. I did relativeley enjoy Stookabys bulls eyes and it makes me wonder if I need a cavendish in there to tame it or something. Still in search for one I would like, albeit I haven't tried that many, so I'll get this on my next smokingpipes order.

Beware, it is a different animal fresh as opposed to aged.

However, it def doesn't tast like cigarettes, lots of interesting things going on w that one.

Being British, I don't have easy access to Mr Pease's wonderful blends but did manage to get a tin of Haddos which is now 3 years old.
Is it old enough to pop now or should I keep it a while longer before opening?

Adam

alandadp":ig0dy1kt said:
Being British, I don't have easy access to Mr Pease's wonderful blends but did manage to get a tin of Haddos which is now 3 years old.

Adam
afaic 3 yrs is the minimum for this one. 5 is better, and 10 is sublime.

Fresh, it's far too raw and harsh plus muddled flavours. IMHO of course.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":k83bxuzt said:
alandadp":k83bxuzt said:

Adam
afaic 3 yrs is the minimun for this one. 5 is better, and 10 is sublime.

Cheers,

RR
Cheers BD - back to the back of the shelf with it then.

Adam

Fight'n Hampsters":zmz9mizv said:
Brewdude":zmz9mizv said:
One of my all time faves. Recently splashed out on some aged tins from pipestud's site. Will be opening one soon!

8)

Cheers,

RR
Oh yeah! I forgot about that site. Great place for stuff like that.
Yes it is, and the price of this wasn't terrible at all. Got a couple of the old style tall/skinny tins from '02. Hope they aren't dried out as I've had a few from that era that had bad seals.

Cheers,

RR

alandadp":io14a7ru said:
Brewdude":io14a7ru said:
alandadp":io14a7ru said:

Adam
afaic 3 yrs is the minimun for this one. 5 is better, and 10 is sublime.

Cheers,

RR
Cheers BD - back to the back of the shelf with it then.

Adam
I've actually found Haddo's at 6 years to be the best, honestly. At 10 years aged, at least for me, it loses a lot. It's still good at that point, but it's over the hump for me.

Over the hump how, Josh? I think Ian also says it's best in that 4-6 year range... I have a tin from 2012 that I'm smoking now, and it's very good but I was thinking it could have used a little more aging... then I have a tin from 2009 that I was going to wait till 2019 to open, but maybe I should crack into it sooner than later.... hmm

I have really enjoyed it with just a few years on them, but I can see how they would get better with more. Good thing is that this blend at least is not going anywhere (at least as of now) ;)