Haddo's Delight

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
I just received 2 tins of Haddo's from brother Jim ( Ol'Dawg) today. Tin dates of Feb. 05
and a nice sample of GLP Cumberland from 02'. This Tobacco will be reserved for special occasions. Thanks Jim. Just goes to show what a great group of folks we have here at BoB....

That's quite a nice gift. I'm ordering some Cumberland on my next round. It's been getting a lot of talk on this board lately.

I agree, quite a nice gift to receive those fine tobaccos. The very generous Alfredo Buscatti gifted me with a healthy sample of Cumberland and it is as fine as any blend that I have ever smoked. Verrrryyyy.......Smoooottthhhh.

As Jason, I too am getting ready to order a couple of 8 oz. tins to put back for safe keeping.

And yes, there are some nice folks that participate on this board!

Dan,

You're quite welcome and I hope you enjoy them.

Others,

Actually, it wasn't all a gift. The Haddo's was a deal and I put in some of the Cumberland as a bonus.

Jim

Ol'Dawg":w1gg7cn1 said:
Dan,

You're quite welcome and I hope you enjoy them.

Others,

Actually, it wasn't all a gift. The Haddo's was a deal and I put in some of the Cumberland as a bonus.

Jim
Jim anytime I receive 3 year old Vaper I consider it a gift! Thanks again my friend....

I tried a tin awhile back. I puffed a bit too greedily on it, felt quite ill afterwards. :no:

I don't know if I should give this one another chance...?

Matt

pipedirector":znc7p5bx said:
I tried a tin awhile back. I puffed a bit too greedily on it, felt quite ill afterwards. :no:

I don't know if I should give this one another chance...?

Matt
Get an 8 oz. tin, then spread it across 3 or 4 pint size mason jars. Then don't touch any for at least 6 months.

You won't be sorry.

I finally opened the tin of Haddo's that I've been sitting on. WOW, its AMAZING! The tin aroma is overwhelmingly sweet & rich, like rum soaked raisins & plums. The topping actually comes through while smoked, & it is quite satisfying. I smoked it in a new meer, haven't tried it in a briar yet, but this will be in my permanent rotation from now on. It is a quality smoke, under the flavor is very good tobacco, just absolutely satisfying,

As it was cold & rainy out when I went to smoke last night, I only packed about three quarters of a bowl of this tobacco. I smoked fairly quickly, I was walking the dogs while I smoked, but it didn't even hint at becoming hot, nor did it even suggest that it was possible for it to bite. It tastes very 'Full'. I don't know how to describe it, but it is satisfying, leaves nothing to be desired. By the time I was working onmyhe bottom of the bowl (which was bone dry, even though I packed directly out of a freshly opened tin) I noticed I was slightly light headed. By the time I was trying to coax just one more puff out of the final ash left in my bowl, my stomach was warning me that I had more nicotine than was prudent.

This is the first really potent nic hit that I've experienced. Its not unpleasant at all. I went to bed about a half hour later, & it was nice to have the little head buzz from the tobacco as I fell asleep,

If you haven't tried this, you really should try it. I'd be more than happy to share some with anyone that would like to try before they buy.

I had a local pipe bud gift me with a very old tin of Haddos a little while back. Took a couple pipe loads to appreciate the flavor, but by about halfway through the tin it had certainly proven itself enough to warrant getting some more in.

Haven't opened up any of the new stuff yet, as I'll probably sit on it for at least a year before cracking one open.

Cheers,

RR

I was just reading Pease's tin notes of Cumberland:

The Mahogany, which is a type of dark-fired
Matured and stoved flue-cured VA
Red VA
Perique

I don't think I taste the Perique as such, but I know the blend to be quite complex and satisfying. The magic of the blend derives, I would say, from the Mahogany. I have quite a bit of it that is six years old, and as it aged the Mahogany doesn't loose its flavor—it's still the strongest taste—but it has toned down and married wonderfully.

I smoked several tins before beginning to lay it in to the cellar, and they were enough, even when fresh, to prompt me to do so.

It's very good fresh, but of course it is quite wonderful when aged.

I like other GLP offerings much more personally. I believe the topping on Haddo's is the same as that on C&D Old Joe Krantz. It's distinctive.

I've found that Haddo's Delight is a tobacco that really needs aging to be at its' best. Fresh, it can be harsh and overwhelming. Six months down the road, it smooths out and is a much better smoke. If you have some, don't give up on it until you have aged it.

Smokey

I just got a tin of this from 4 noggins.....1st bowl was in my boswell that I dedicate to VA/VApers. Upon opening the tin I noticed that this tobacco is definately topped. It has a rum mixed with....mint?...smell. It was quite moist from the tin so I let it dry for about 20 mins...after that it seemed about perfect.

Upon 1st light it tasted kindof cherry like sweet. After 1st tamp and subsequent lighting the sweetness was a little more subdued....although I didn't really feel the generous amount of perique that is supposed to be in this blend....about halfway through the bowl this blend settled into a heavy kindof sweet mixture of a bunch of flavors....still the virginia and cavendish sweetness but darker and also a hint of what I think is saltiness...almost like seawater?....lol idk I'm not very good at picking out specific flavors.

Anyways I was really hoping I was going to love this blend after reading all the rave reviews for it....but it wasn't what I hoped it would be...wasn't into the saltiness much. But having said that this was my 1st bowl so I'm definately going to give this stuff more chances....prob finish half the tin before I decide if this is one that I'll buy again.

As for GL Pease I absolutely LOVE JKP. I'm halfway done with a tin after like a week...and thats fast for me seeing that I have so many different tobaccos now. I'm thinking cumberland or filmore is next on the list to try

Boxerbuddy":1c8f2tt3 said:
I just got a tin of this from 4 noggins.....1st bowl was in my boswell that I dedicate to VA/VApers. Upon opening the tin I noticed that this tobacco is definately topped. It has a rum mixed with....mint?...smell. It was quite moist from the tin so I let it dry for about 20 mins...after that it seemed about perfect.

Upon 1st light it tasted kindof cherry like sweet. After 1st tamp and subsequent lighting the sweetness was a little more subdued....although I didn't really feel the generous amount of perique that is supposed to be in this blend....about halfway through the bowl this blend settled into a heavy kindof sweet mixture of a bunch of flavors....still the virginia and cavendish sweetness but darker and also a hint of what I think is saltiness...almost like seawater?....lol idk I'm not very good at picking out specific flavors.

Anyways I was really hoping I was going to love this blend after reading all the rave reviews for it....but it wasn't what I hoped it would be...wasn't into the saltiness much. But having said that this was my 1st bowl so I'm definately going to give this stuff more chances....prob finish half the tin before I decide if this is one that I'll buy again.

As for GL Pease I absolutely LOVE JKP. I'm halfway done with a tin after like a week...and thats fast for me seeing that I have so many different tobaccos now. I'm thinking cumberland or filmore is next on the list to try

It took me about half a tin of Haddos to develop a taste for it. After that it became it became a go-to. Funny how that works.

Keep at it, try it in different pipes, etc. Chances are it'll grow on you.

Cheers,

RR

It should come as no surprise that I'd urge you toward Cumberland. Like Haddos I feel that it can be enjoyed best with 6-12 months of age; but I think you'll get what the blend is about, the harmonious interplay of the perique, VAs and the venerable mahogany as the ascendant in the blend, as it is used. The perique is a soft-touch, but I have no doubt that its affect isn't felt at the edge. As you know you'll definitely not find perique dominating in Cumberland in the same way as you find it affecting the blend in Haddos.

Yeah man I've smoked about 6 bowls of this stuff now and I'm starting to get it. Idk what that salty taste was but I haven't gotten it since the 1st bowl. It's definately growing fast on me....but I wish it had less of that rummish topping.

Boxerbuddy":tib8ixiz said:
Yeah man I've smoked about 6 bowls of this stuff now and I'm starting to get it. Idk what that salty taste was but I haven't gotten it since the 1st bowl. It's definately growing fast on me....but I wish it had less of that rummish topping.
I have several 10+ year-old tins of Haddo's left in my stash. Next time I crack one open I'll have to send you a few bowls worth... The topping is worn off just enough to be perfect. I do enjoy it fresh but if there was ever a blend tailor made for long term aging, Haddo's is it.