Hair Tonics, Creams, Pomades, etc.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire

Reaction score
A lot of people who are into wet shaving are also into other sorts of "old school" grooming products. Not to mention that the popularity of the television show "Mad Men" has led many guys to get into classic grooming methods and styles.

Even if you aren't into wet shaving, or Mad Men, you may enjoy a good, old-fashioned, hair tonic. As a guy who feels lucky to have as much hair as I have, I plan to keep it looking good as long as it's up there.

So which is it, and why do you like it? Vitalis? Brylcreem? Murray's? Clubman?

Spill it, brothers. How do you keep that mop looking fresh and clean?

Years ago I used Brylcreem and loved it, recent years before I began shaving my head I used Vitalis. liked it a lot as well.

Before my lush forest turned into a desert as sparse as the one I reside, I was a Murray's guy.

Only downside: stuff turns pillows yellow, makes 'em greasy and weigh about three times as much after a while. Yuk!

Glad I just buzz-clip down to the scalp, now. Sick of fussin' with hair, anyway. I hit 30 and stopped caring about my dead cells. I can "get ready" and go out the door, shower, mustache trim and deodorant and all, ten minutes tops. :lol:

Vitalis and Brylcreem smell wonderful to me, but leave my hair extremely oily. I still use them occasionally, just for the smell, which reminds me of the barbershops I went into as a kid.

Murray's is great, but I only use a tiny bit when I use it. If you use too much, it is impossible to wash out and will, as Kyle said, stain everything your head touches. I'm kinda skittish of it nowadays, though. Every time I put it in my hair it seems my comb pulls out a wad of my diminishing resources.

Lately I've been using Clubman Eau de Portugal and Eau de Quinine hair tonics. They have a lighter hold and a a good smell. The Portugal smells like oranges, but the Quinine has a floral or rose odor that I don't care for as much.

I've heard that James Bond specifically uses Eau de Quinine in a book or two, and John Wayne supposedly loved the stuff.

Clubman Eau de Quinine is awesome.. I certainly don't need but always rub a little in my bushy goatee and what little hair I have left. The ladies when I was working would always stop by for a sniff.

I actually landed on Royal Crown pomade long before any retro grooming interest. I am blessed with a wild Scotch-fro that eve trimmed short is a natural mess. I did Murray's but I hated to unwashableness of it. RC keeps me neat, keep dandruff non-existent and as a side benefit these days blends in the grey nicely.

I've been using that stuff that comes up and out in the middle of the sink. Works on all but the windiest days. Doesn't take more than a little dab to do me.

I have baby fine hair. [blush]

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: 
Your a bad influence Ken

I have used Murray's, Brylcream, Groom 'n Clean, as well as others. They all work, depending on your needs.

The two i kinda settled on after a while were two of the "new school" products called Layrite and Suavecito. They are both water based, but hold a nice pomp. And, then they wash out if you want.

I just left the barber the other day with a pomade in my hair for the first time. This barber used a product called lay rite but when my wife asked what it was I said stay hard. A joke that flew well over her head. Anyways, I may try this pomade from time to time but not everyday.

I'm looking for one, too. I've looked at some of the AXE products, and wonder if anyone has used them.

Only time I ever used a hair dressing is when I was a young pup back in the early 60's, and my Pap cut my hair. I wanted a flat top, which was similar to what he had (a butch, but "turned up" in the front).

Think this is what I used-

CRUButch001.jpg

This crap was sticky and gross. And it smelled bad too. I gave up on that idea pretty damn fast.

Also remember the TV ads for Brylcreme -"a little dab will do ya". Never could understand why a guy would want to put that garbage in their hair. But then I wasn't a "greaser".

Haven't had much hair to worry about anymore. Much easier this way!

:joker: 

Cheers,

RR

I used 3 flowers, royal crown and several others. (Aqua net when I had a moehawk several years ago.) Switched to Brylcreem, havn't looked for anything since. If it was good enough for Grampa, it's good enough for me.