Hal O' The Wynd Tin

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happypipester

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just got a tin of Hal O' The Wynd yesterday from my tobacconist's and noticed it was different in its markings than the Kohlhase, Kopp & Co. KG tins I've seen of say Red Rapparee or Black Mallory for example.. the bottom of the tin didn't have the white label with the tobacco's description, barcode, etc. The metal on the tin is a golden color rather than silver. The paper label on the side of the tin is a little different also, it says 4oz net instead of 100g., and the small KK&Co. KG design I've seen on the other blends I've bought wasn't anywhere on it... any info you guys could give me on who produced this tin and maybe roughly how old it is?

If I haven't been clear enough in my description of the tin, just ask :) Thanks in advance!

happy, let's see a pic of the tin so we can see what you're talking about.

Hope these help... I tried to take pictures from all the angles I could... the parts of the label in between the front and back illustrations have no text or other designs on them. The bottom of the tin is much more gold looking than it is in the pic (the top is silver colored). Perhaps KK&Co. doesn't put their name on the tins of HOTW like they do with, say Accountant's Mixture or Black Mallory? Or maybe it's from a previous blender? I really have no idea.

Holy cow! :shock: Wow, I'm glad I asked... now the question is save, smoke, sell, or trade lol...

Smoke it (or better still, share with me and I'll help you smoke it!).

-Andrew

I'm curious as hell as to why any local shop would have a tin of 1970's/80's pipe tobacco still on it's shelves!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Before smoking that, happy, I must say that I am a trained professional in being able to determine fraudulent tobaccos being passed off as gloriously aged originals. Well, ok, not really any training but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and I'd be glad to help you smoke some of it. :heart:

I'll be making a trip there ASAP (it's a long drive, and working around my schedule may be a bit tricky...)... I will post any new info in the Tobacco Jar section.

Also, keep an eye on the Trading Post... I may offer this tin and possibly any other tins of interest I find for sale/trade...

This post has been delayed by a couple days (didn't have a lot of time to get online)... went to the tobacconists and guess what? There was one more tin of the McConnell's made HOTW!

I didn't see any other particularly interesting tins in the store, but the owner sometimes brings in tins from his personal cellar from what I've heard from one of his grandsons, so I'll keep an eye out...

Well fellas, I do believe I'll be making a post in a short while in the trading post section for one of the HOTW tins... so, if you're interested, see the trading section and pm me!

Oh, man, that's a nice score! HOtW is absolutely one of my favorite smokes -- I enjoy it on a daily basis!

Congrats and ENJOY big time! :D

Had a similar encounter myself, however I got one of the early 70's tins. The blended BY Charles Rattray with the silver bottom; only $15!
Gotta love hidden tins in small tobacconists!
(I posted a thread in the PAD / TAD section with pics)

Cheers and Smoke Well!!
-- Brent

Congrats! :cheers:

Ain't that the truth! Wonderful thing about it is the tobacconist has great taste, and from the sound of it, he has a huge cellar at home and it isn't uncommon for him to bring in tins with some good age on them to sell (at the normal price, not the big sums you'd find them going for on eBay).. plus he's just a wonderful guy to be around.

Cheers!

happypipester":2uv0yra4 said:
Congrats! :cheers:

Ain't that the truth! Wonderful thing about it is the tobacconist has great taste, and from the sound of it, he has a huge cellar at home and it isn't uncommon for him to bring in tins with some good age on them to sell (at the normal price, not the big sums you'd find them going for on eBay).. plus he's just a wonderful guy to be around.

Cheers!
Where are you from if you don't mind me asking. That would be funny if you are talking about the same tobacconist that Brent and I got those Rattray tins from!

I'm guessing it's not the same place, but I got them from Ted's Tobacco in Lincoln, NE. It's a smaller place, but the tobacconist (Ted Wright) has good taste in tobacco and pipes, and is just a wonderful fellow to talk to, so I try to support them. If you ever get a chance to stop there (or the Omaha store, though the focus there is more on cigars), it's a nice place.

Cheers!
HP

I plan to make an order later on today. #1 I will definately order some highland targe, and two other rattray tins what are the best other two blends? Hal o the wynd and red rapparee? Just wonder. Have only tried highland targe and black mallory amd marlin flake. Marlin flake and highland targe were the best imo. But im onoly gonna purchase the highloand targe of those three, buit would like to purchase maybe two others that are highly recommended.

You have only mentioned one of the Big Four that are usually extolled, Marlin Flake. Hal O' the Wynd, Brown Clunee and Old Gowrie are the other three. All are straight VAs although I believe I read a reference that said HOTW contained Perique. If so I would say that like the Heinrich Curlies, it is a small amount.

I got a similarly aged tin of Black Mallory at the local Tinderbox, but it had already been opened and needed some TLC before it resumed being glorious.