Halloween Turkey Box Pass

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I got to thinking about it and realized it's been a age since anyone did a box pass. So...let's do one! Gotta act fast though to take advantage of the Halloween theme opportunity. But it'll really be a Halloween/Turkey Pass (since the time span will usually run a little long on a pass. I'll put a lid on it re sign ups so it doesn't go too long...gotta keep outta Santa's way, etc.

Thinking now that it will be organized as a sealed tin or equivalent bulk minimum...no American Aros...maybe done in categories (put in a VA/Per to take a VA/Per sorta thing)...but maybe not. There will be a limit on 'takes' and duplicates. There will be a top tier and regular section so some goof doesn't try to take all the ten year aged VA's and slop in a five pack of white owl cigars...don't laugh. I've seen it happen.

Those wanting in should be known members of the community, in good standing.

I'll think about it a bit more and come up with a bunch of other unreasonable and conflicting rules and then post 'em to the horror of all concerned.

But for now...let's get an interest list up and running prior to the weekend. I'll start digging in the cellar for the good stuff.

The List of Players*

Any and all members wanting to be in this must PM me with your request to be added to the roster. Posting here that you want in or 'are' in will have no effect on your status as a player.

1. Blackhorse (host)
2. nismo270r
3. DocT999
4. PozzSka
5. fsu92john
6. juanmedusa
7. d4klutz
8. GrampaGrossbart

* no Grinch's Allowed!

Had a question re just what a box pass entailed. Here's the scoop...

Box Pass = host fills up box with goodies (tins & bags) and sends box off to first guy on list. He gets box and picks X, Y & Z from box for himself and replaces items he took with items of his, of equivalent value or higher, bringing inventory for next guy back to original numbers (or higher). He then sends box off to the 2nd guy on the list. Etc., etc., etc. til the box arrives full circle, back with the host.

Must haves:

1. Drugstore blends will not be represented in this pass, so players should have some desirable, unique, hard to obtain and or well aged blends to rotate into the inventory when it gets to them. If you question whether or not potential items from your stash will be suitable, PM me and ask.

2. A box pass takes time, especially as the box has to be mailed from person to person via USPS PRIORITY (a requirement). So players will need to be able turn it around quickly. Very quickly. The guideline is to obtain the box the day it arrives...use one day to make your 'takes' and 'puts' then get it into the mail the day following that...three days turn around...or less.

Think about it. If there are ten players, total time for the pass would be...

Yeah. A MONTH! So time is a thing.

3. A "pass order" will be published beforehand so players will know (via the three day thing) the approximate ETA of the box at their castle. If you plan to be out of town, we need to know that up front so as to not have the box arrive on your doorstep on the first day of your two week vacation.

4. Players are required to be attentive to the event thread and to watch for and return PMs quickly. If you drop off the radar for an extended period, you might get dropped off the pass roster.

5. Players need to stay within genres for their trades. This means if you take a tin, you replace a tin. If you take a bag, you put in a bag. If you take a cigar, you replace it...well, you get it.

6. A complete list of pass items will be published prior to the start date. Players will update the thread by listing their 'takes' and 'puts' as they are made. This should enable guys down the line to PLAN their raiding and stay within the three day turn around thing.

The whole thing is really pretty simple, when you get down to it!

Last call! One more hole to fill!

Also...This is already a non-Aro pass. I'm also thinking of having this be a 'non-English' (meaning non-Latakia) pass. Anybody have any problems with that? If so, sing out now or forever hold yer water, etc. This'll be a good test to see I'd anyone is paying attention.

Blackhorse":quqbwjhh said:
Last call!  One more hole to fill!

Also...This is already a non-Aro pass. I'm also thinking of having this be a 'non-English' (meaning non-Latakia) pass. Anybody have any problems with that? If so, sing out now or forever hold yer water, etc. This'll be a good test to see I'd anyone is paying attention.
It doesn't matter to me, but you could just say what you want to end up with 8)

Doc...like I could skew what ended up here? Ahhh...the POWER!

Actually, I all but cleaned out my drawer of tins to be able to put this together. And since there's very little chance of having things returned to me that I would choose for myself...you should see this as my doing something for the good of the order rather than as my trying to reap a vast harvest.

So fine, we'll make it an open substitution event. So long as the 'equal quality or better' aspect is adhered to.

And here's the final list of Players.

1. Blackhorse (host)
2. nismo270r
3. DocT999
4. PozzSka
5. fsu92john6.
7. juanmedusa8.
9. d4klutz
10. GrampaGrossbart

So now your task is to send me the address you want to use for this event, via PM...and in the following format, listing your online user name first:

Blackhorse
Billy Bob Horseblanket
222 Blackhorse Barn Road
Blackhorse, OR 97222

Do it so I can copy and paste it without having to go in and reform at things.

Blackhorse":5572bmib said:
Doc...like I could skew what ended up here? Ahhh...the POWER!

Actually, I all but cleaned out my drawer of tins to be able to put this together. And since there's very little chance of having things returned to me that I would choose for myself...you should see this as my doing something for the good of the order rather than as my trying to reap a vast harvest.

So fine, we'll make it an open substitution event. So long as the 'equal quality or better' aspect is adhered to.
Seriously, the 'no latakia' rule is fine with me. Looking over the players, I don't think any of us would grab a wide variety and add in all of any one type (all English, all Lakeland, etc)

Oops! The sharp eyes of a Player spotted a gross and obvious typo changing the way the name list comes out. We still have two slots open...three if I don't consider myself a a 'listed' player. The corrected list is in the first post.

The tins for the initial run have been selected and set aside. Now on to the selecting, weighing and bagging of the bulk blends.

I've got a fair amount to pick from for bulks. If anyone has specific or general requests, I could try to accommodate.

I'm also thinking of doing a cigar bag...as I have about a bazillion stogies around here.

All in all, this is shaping up nicely.

As always, kudos in public, bitches via PM.  lol

No lat rule is fine with me too. However you want the rules to be. I will play. I have both bulk and tins to chose from.

No Lat rule doesn't bug me either...it's your pass, make up whatever rules you want! :twisted:

And so, as the moon rose in the Eastern sky, bright and full of spooky promise, there remained 2 vacancies...

images

All this non latakia talk amuses me because that's already my collection for the most part. I have one latakia blend in my cellar and it's really a Va, cigar leaf,latakia blend. If the box were to get to me full of proper English I'll have to troubleshoot. With Blackhorse as the genesis of this I doubt it'll start completely proper English. But, yeah, if this goes non-lat I'd be fine too.

OK players, and interested peanut gallery lurkers, I have two things. First, status...second, a question.

First, here's the crew roster as it stands now. Two slots open. I'd like to fill 'em. I'll put a small burden on you guys. If you have an acquaintance here that you believe would be a good addition to our group of merry pranksters, send 'em a PM urging them to join up...er, requesting admission. Yeah, that's it. Easy.

1. Blackhorse (host)
2. nismo270r
3. DocT999
4. PozzSka
5. fsu92john
6. juanmedusa
7. d4klutz
8. GrampaGrossbart

Second...questions. This will drive home the point that those paying attention to what goes on here get special treatment.

Q1. I can go a number of different ways with the bulks I start the pass with. One way is to include a number of the Gawith Lakeland style blends...another way is not to, so much. Which do you prefer?

Q2. As we all likely do, I have a number of small size very well aged items...not really of sufficient amount to put in 1 1/2 - 2 oz. But I COULD put in a sample of a couple of bowls worth. Do you believe it would be good to include a section of small yet unique samples like this? Players would be directed to only swap for similar small highly unique samples (maybe a half oz., etc.).

So that's two questions. Respond at your leisure but don't snivel if you get a box full of stinky Lakelands to pick from and you didn't pay enough attention to the thread to scream, "No!". lol

At this point I'm thinking of five sections in the box. Players need to keep to like categories when replacing items. The categories are, 1) Tins, 2) Bulk Flake, 3) Bulk Loose Blends, 4) Small Unique and/or Aged Samples and 5) Cigars. That should give a nice spread of items, covering most interests and collections.

Do it with 8?

I'd join but I have no cigars, no tins (lie, I have two but no one will ever get either) and basically just Gawith and stokkbye bulk (that I can identify.. Never ever stick tobacco in a jar and say, eh I'll know what it is)

Do it with 8? Yeah, we could go that way. But I'll give it the weekend and get the thing active on maybe Monday. That'll be fine.

And PB...any and all players can do any or all categories as they like. No one has to do everything. I'd feel pouty if someone only took and replaced one thing...but that's their privilege.

In most passes I've done most guys took let's say six things...and ended up putting back seven to ten. I have a way of going overboard too. Likely there will be some freebies in there.

These things sometimes have a life of their own. lol

I would love to have sample sizes of some baccys. Also, I would prefer a mix of lakelands and others. I do like SG Chocolate Flake, but not Black XX. LOL, I know this isn't geared towards me, but thats my 2 cents ;) Anyways, I am looking forward to having fun with this.

Ya know, I'd actually be very interested in trying some more Lakelands, so that route appeals to me--I always assumed I'd hate'em, as I never liked aros before, but then I cracked a tin of aged Firedance I chanced on and cats alive, did I scarf that stuff down! That said, in my case it would be impossible to snag a sample of such things, if I had to replace'em with other English aros, since I ain't got none--or does the replace-like-with-like rule mean I could take a sample of a Lakeland and replace it with Virginia blend, so long as it was bulk for bulk or tin for tin?

And yeah, bring on the antique midget samples! I've got a few such things up my sleeve, too...

Tins trade for tins and are their own category. So a tin of your blackberry cream could be traded for a tin of C&D Five O'Clock Shadow, etc. Look at the categories I listed for bulks and it should be clear...Flakes, Loose Blends...it's really pretty open.

Here's a question for a'all:

Would it be a benefit to make ALL the bulk items more a sample size...like one oz? As opposed to the roughly 2 oz standard. If the goal of a player is to obtain some stash items, then the larger sizes are more appropriate. If the goal is to try new and different things, then the smaller sizes work well.

A tin is a tin, can't change that. But if the bulk bags were 1 oz I could put in maybe double the number of things and even 2 or 3 of some things that more than one guy might want to try.

The small super aged samples would still be a separate thing.

Thoughts?