Haloween

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Today is Halloween.

Halloween's origins date back about 2,000 years, to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. The Celts lived in the cold parts of Northern Europe — in Britain, Ireland, and the north of France — and so for them, the new year began on November 1st, the end of the fall harvest and the beginning of winter. The night before the new year, on October 31st, the division between the world of the living and the world of the dead dissolved, and the dead could come to earth again. This was partly bad and partly good — these spirits would damage crops and cause sickness, but they also helped the Celtic priests, the druids, to tell the future, to make predictions about the coming year. The druids built huge bonfires, and regular people put out their own fires in their homes and crowded together around these fires, where they burned sacrifices for the gods, told each other's fortunes, and dressed in costumes — usually animal skins and heads. At the end of the celebration, they took a piece of the sacred bonfire and relit their own fires at home with this new flame, which was meant to help them stay warm through the long winter ahead.

First the Romans co-opted Samhain and combined it with their festivals, and then the Christians co-opted both the Celtic and Roman celebrations. In the ninth century, the pope decided that these pagan festivals needed to be replaced with a Christian holiday, so he just moved the holiday called All Saints' Day from May 13 to November 1. All Saints' Day was a time for Christians to honor all the saints and martyrs of their religion. The term for All Saints' Day in Middle English was Alholowmesse, or All-hallowmass. This became All-hallows, and so the night before was referred to as All-hallows Eve, and finally, Halloween.

Excerpt taken from http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

There is a somewhat lessor known holiday today...

Reformation Day: In Honor of Martin Lawrence... No Martin Luther(not a king) nailing his 95 theses to the door of Castle Church in Wittenburg (no doubt named after Jason Witten) Germany on Oct 31,1517.

Its not recorded as to why he picked Oct 31, but it is rather obvious. Clearly he was trying to counter the pagan holiday Haloween. It turned out that it was a lot more fun to knock on a door and get candy than it was to nail theses to chirches and run from priests.

Get out your hammers boys... Its Reformation Day!!!!!

Excerpt takin from Pb's mind. :D

When my grandson does the round and comes back home, there are usually about 4 or five "religious tracts" in the bag. He's not impressed... now you reminded me whom he can blame. :lol:

If his Grandfather taught him as he should he would rejoice at the being given material to nail to church doors...

Your a pagan.

Slow Puffs":eorqa6zk said:
When my grandson does the round and comes back home, there are usually about 4 or five "religious tracts" in the bag. He's not impressed... now you reminded me whom he can blame. :lol:
Most of those tracts have a publisher, I would tell him to write in hate mail. Then he can use all the tracts to start a bonfire and celebrate Samhain.

Cute little tidbit... they don't celebrate Halloween at my grandson's school. After swimming lessons yesterday, he told me the students could dress up as a character from the Bible. His name is Stone.

When we got home he asked grandma if he could wear all gray clothing tomorrow to school.

It took a while to sink in, but he wanted to dress up as the "stone" that was rolled away from the tomb.

Clever, eh?

Yes very clever indeed...

He tricks them into believing he is celebrating haloween when in reality he is getting camoflaged up to nail theses to church doors... Maybe there is hope for him yet, despite his pagan Grandpa. :D

In all seriousness. I fell like a piece of crap dad.

This will be Bubba and katies first haloween without me...
It sucks! I'm going to get home in time for the victory/defeat icecream tomorrow but I'm going to miss their soccer tournaments, and its their last games of the year.

Long story, I got hung in florida..

puros_bran":ie9byy27 said:
Pb2,

You are also a pagan!
If by pagan, you mean one funky-ass, cool cat :afro: . Then, yes, yes I am.

puros_bran":ie9byy27 said:
In all seriousness. I fell like a piece of crap dad.

This will be Bubba and katies first haloween without me...
It sucks! I'm going to get home in time for the victory/defeat icecream tomorrow but I'm going to miss their soccer tournaments, and its their last games of the year.

Long story, I got hung in florida..
That really sucks. My son's due date is November 27th (Thanksgiving Day this year), so I can't say that I know how you feel and I hope I don't have to. I've helped my dad coach my 12 year old brother's football team this year and we lost our championship Thursday night. We lost to a "rich, recruited from all of over the city" team. So, maybe since we lost, you all will win. Balance things out and all that jazz, or as Earl would say, "It's karma."

Slow Puffs":a856klbt said:
Cute little tidbit... they don't celebrate Halloween at my grandson's school. After swimming lessons yesterday, he told me the students could dress up as a character from the Bible. His name is Stone.

When we got home he asked grandma if he could wear all gray clothing tomorrow to school.

It took a while to sink in, but he wanted to dress up as the "stone" that was rolled away from the tomb.

Clever, eh?
Very clever, perhaps too clever as PB alluded.

REPORT ... Oct 31, 2008 Strategy & Statistics

a. month prior, buy candy for 300 kids

b. two weeks prior, buy more candy supporting 150 kids

c. day of, buy more for 40 kids

d. Night of... 68 kids (plus two fathers demanding beer... Canuk tradition)

e. lots of candy for next month :lol: :lol:

This method works every year :lol: :lol:

WHOA WHOA WHOA,,,, two fathers demanding beer??? Canuk tradition???,,,,,never knew about that,,,I'm only a stones throw from the border,,,,,,,,,,,

next year it's hockey costumes for the squirts and I'll be knocking,,,EH ?

Most popular costumes:

princesses & hockey players

... none of that sissy Joe the Plumber stuff :lol:

mark":c8efiwwg said:
WHOA WHOA WHOA,,,, two fathers demanding beer??? Canuk tradition???,,,,,never knew about that,,,I'm only a stones throw from the border,,,,,,,,,,,

next year it's hockey costumes for the squirts and I'll be knocking,,,EH ?
Actually, I knew both of the fathers (both razzing me). Next door neighbour and a Philiadelphia Flyers fan down the street. Both nice guys... just breaking balls...

Slow Puffs":h9g82n5i said:
... (plus two fathers demanding beer... Canuk tradition)
Only two? What kind of neighbourhood do you live in?!! :face: