Harvey

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
It's big news here in the UK. I know it won't apply to many BoB members but it's impact seems to be far reaching.

Here's hoping that everyone is safe and well.

Aye mate, it's awful isn't it! Some of the flooded neighbourhoods are expected to be under water for a full month according to the news.

My good mate and his wife who live in the greater Houston area have not had flooding since they're well inland and are on a slight elevation. And they've held onto their power as well. They're a few of the lucky ones, but the area will take months to recover.

Perhaps years when one thinks of all those homes that are now ruined and uninhabitable. This will be on a par or above with Katrina which hit 12 yrs ago today, and the population of the Houston area is far above that of 'nawlins. And Harvey has moved into Louisiana with 12" rain on the Texas/Louisiana border in the Lake Charles area.

Apparently there is also a dusk to dawn curfew in Houston to prevent looters. How anyone could take advantage of families who have lost everything in the flood is beyond my ken!

:no:

No Cheers,

RR

My oldest daughter lives there, and they followed the mayor's dictates and hunkered down for the storm. I have yet to be able to reach her after the first day and the phone circuits were 'busy'. Fortunately she is as delicate as a pro wrestler, so I am keeping the thoughts she and her kids are well enough, where ever they were displaced to. (I know she was displaced because her whole subdivision was all but washed away) If nothing else she stole a boat and escaped, or cast a spell on the water and has it repelled, and is sacking the neighborhood...........

Oz, I certainly hope your daughter and family are hunkered down safely. Please let us know when you hear some news. Our immediate family in Houston (wife's father & brother + wives) are all OK. Other extended family members OK but homes trashed and/or flooded. Many had to be rescued by boat!! Send what you can, guys. Thousands of these folks are wiped out. 80% of homeowners had no flood insurance!! Blees all their hearts!! FTRPLT

Ozark, it's a long shot but a third wave of Meade Co Kentuckians put convoys on the road this morning headed for the area. If you pm me her name, maybe they'll run across her. It's killing me to sit this one out. Katrina broke my heart but it also made me feel alive like I never have before or since.

Has Monbla or Cart signed on? I'm not sure exactly where they are but they both talk about Houston like it was near at hand.

It's killing me I can't help, Head Man of The Cajun Navy is my buddy, he told me Old Man you did your part a long time ago, stay home I may need your advice. Two sons in Texas, one in Houston, high and dry, one in Dayton Tex , house was inches from flooding , then it started receded . Port Arthur and Beaumont TX are in worse shape than Houston, Beaumont has no drinking water at all. Very dire situation. Help if you can.

cajun":am28pra5 said:
It's killing me I can't help, Head Man of The Cajun Navy is my buddy, he told me Old Man you did your part a long time ago, stay home I may need your advice. Two sons in Texas, one in Houston, high and dry, one in Dayton Tex , house was inches from flooding , then it started receded . Port Arthur and Beaumont TX are in worse shape than Houston, Beaumont has no drinking water at all. Very dire situation. Help if you can.
Your buddy is 100% right. Leave it to the younger guys and you supervise and give them the benefit of your years of experience. So glad your family is safe. It's great to see you here again. I miss your wisdom and experience that , in the past, you shared so freely. I was away for a good while due to health issues but now I'm taking it one day at a time. I surely hope to see a lot more of your posts in the coming weeks and months. :)

AJ

puros_bran":kfjvsv01 said:
Has Monbla or Cart signed on?  I'm not sure exactly where they are but they both talk about Houston like it was near at hand.
Monbla posted in the other Harvey thread. He's well north of Houston-

Monbla256":kfjvsv01 said:
It's not expected to effect us all that much up her in the metroplex as we are around 400 miles north of Corpus Christi where it's supposed to hit Saturday!! We might get some rain over the weekend but not like what they are gonna get down on the coast!
Cart posted one of his pipes for sale yesterday in the Town Crier so he must be OK too. And he's also well north of the disaster area.

Cheers,

RR

Jevverrett":nqe1he96 said:
I know these guys are down there helping right now. Also, it's a safe way to donate for the relief effort. (Or, at least I trust them with my money) A lot of fake charity telemarketing scams go on after these huge disasters.

https://www.samaritanspurse.org/article/relief-units-rolling-texas-hurricane-harveys-punch/?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=m_YYHH-B17V_HHSP
+1 Samaritans Purse is a great org. Has a high rating as a charity by independent groups that track how many cents on the dollar that actually go to the cause it is meant to. IMO I would give to them before American Red Cross.

So, I'm here, with my daughter Stephanie and her kids. It took some doing. They are downstream from where water was released from the Addicks res. She is glad they live on a 'hill'. (smirk) some hill. more like a rise in grade.... They only took a foot of water in the house, but across the street it was three feet. The power went out and when they ventured into the waters they got shocked from live power lines still being active.

very sad goings on here. Many out of state rescuers are being turned back by National Guard because of fear of looting. However, it was told to me that the Mexican army is present and helping. Good to see a global community in action. Humanity never ceases to amaze and confound me. At this point I'm grateful for your lack of consistent behavior. It may yet save y'all, in the bigger picture.........

So. I'm trying to avoid bringing a family of five and 9 pets back with me. It seems there will be a bout of realism, and careful political negotiations pending before I get to go home.

Details pending upon personal request.

Good run bombers, and let us look forward to future grand endeavors! Gotta go and slap some civility into a foul mouthed grandchild.

One must indulge themselves in some joy, after all!

Glad to hear everyone is safe. Maybe the blessing in here is you get to have more of a hand in the raising of your newest generation.

Ozark Wizard":k6zaybj3 said:
So, I'm here, with my daughter Stephanie and her kids. It took some doing. They are downstream from where water was released from the Addicks res. She is glad they live on a 'hill'. (smirk) some hill. more like a rise in grade.... They only took a foot of water in the house, but across the street it was three feet. The power went out and when they ventured into the waters they got shocked from live power lines still being active.

very sad goings on here. Many out of state rescuers are being turned back by National Guard because of fear of looting. However, it was told to me that the Mexican army is present and helping. Good to see a global community in action. Humanity never ceases to amaze and confound me. At this point I'm grateful for your lack of consistent behavior. It may yet save y'all, in the bigger picture.........

So. I'm trying to avoid bringing a family of five and 9 pets back with me. It seems there will be a bout of realism, and careful political negotiations pending before I get to go home.

Good run bombers, and let us look forward to future grand endeavors! Gotta go and slap some civility into a foul mouthed grandchild.

Very relieved to know your daughter and chillin' are safe Ozzie, along with the critters. It must've been a job to find them. Now the ordeal of what to do next!

:!:

Cheers,

RR

Ozark Wizard":42u9tew2 said:

Well done Wiz. I too am relieved to learn they're all safe. I suspect they were relieved when you appeared.

Keep us posted if you can.

Regards to you all,

Stick.

Phew, that's a relief to hear that your daughter and kin are safe and sound Oz. Also really glad to hear the rest of you are clear too. 

I'm always enheartened to see humanities response to these terrible situations, pulling together to see things through. Shame about the bad apples looting and scamming but they are the minority thank heavens. 

Be safe

Tim

An amazing thing about the news coverage of Harvey is the tough stoic grit of those caught in it. They look at what used to be their home and say, "We're still here." And hurricane season is not over by a long shot. Very best wishes to everyone caught up in this and to those who have come to their aid.

KevinM":c9h3hk56 said:
An amazing thing about the news coverage of Harvey is the tough stoic grit of those caught in it. They look at what used to be their home and say, "We're still here." And hurricane season is not over by a long shot. Very best wishes to everyone caught up in this and to those who have come to their aid.
True grit indeed.

OW,
Glad all is well with your family and thank God they live on a hill. Absolutely devastating the damage and destruction caused by Harvey. Anyone who has the opportunity too also donate please do, many firehouses are set up to accept donations. The Red Cross needs our help as well.
Now Hurricane Irma is back to a category 4, this can possibly cause severe damage to Florida and all along the East coast. I still remember the destruction by Tropical Storm Sandy along the coast of NY and NJ, Irma will be far worse. Let's hope this hurricane changes course and heads back out to sea.