Has Anyone Used Pipe Tobacco..........

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Has anyone used pipe tobacco for roll-your-own cigarettes? I haven't smoked a cigarette in 42 years and am not planning on starting.
I have a friend who is a social worker, working with primarily the indigent homeless. He's a single parent with a 19-year-old son with some challenges. In dealing with the population he serves, he's found that a "bribe" of a few cigarettes will often get these folks to open up a bit on their circumstance and afford my friend the opportunity to get them the help they often desperately need. Many are PTSD veterans, homeless, lingering in an area near the local V.A. hospital. My friend confided that some weeks he spends $100 and more out of pocket on cigarettes just so he can open the door to conversations.
I've thought about buying a tube injector machine and tubes to make cigarettes out of the pipe tobacco I have that I know I'll never smoke and giving the cigarettes to my friend to distribute to his prospective clients.
Several sites note that about 600 cigarettes may be rolled from one pound of tobacco. The question I have pertains to the "cut" of pipe tobacco versus the shag of cigarette tobacco. Does anyone know of these injector machines can handle most pipe tobacco?
In my 20s, I rolled many cigarettes using $2.00 rolling machines and gummed Job papers. I wouldn't do that for this quantity.

I have asked my friend about whether pipe tobacco would be palatable. He said 99.9% of his clients would be happy with any kind of tobacco or other smoking material.

Way back when when I was much younger, men (and many women!!) rolled Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Half & Half, George Washington, Masterpiece, etc. In other words, most any of the "drugstore" blends as we call them today did "double duty!"

I use Sansepolcro and Three Sails.
Do you use tubes and an injector?
or one of these with gummed edge papers?
or freehand?
s-l1600.jpg

Steve, I frequently smoke pipe tobacco in RYO tubes. It gets too bloody cold here in the winter for a pipe. You should have no problems with most pipe tobacco in a cigarette injector. I have a lever manual one and an electric one and both work well with most pipe tobacco. The big issue will be if the blend is dry enough. Too wet and you'll have a solid brick of tobacco that won't smoke, too dry and it'll turn to dust as it's worked.

Bless you for what you're doing
Jim

I frequently smoke pipe tobacco in RYO tubes. It gets too bloody cold here in the winter for a pipe. You should have no problems with most pipe tobacco in a cigarette injector. I have a lever manual one and an electric one and both work well with most pipe tobacco. The big issue will be if the blend is dry enough. Too wet and you'll have a solid brick of tobacco that won't smoke, too dry and it'll turn to dust as it's worked.

Bless you for what you're doing
Jim
It sounds very workable. I'll start with a lever machine and go from there. Thank you for the information and kind words.

When I was at my previous church, we had a fairly robust outreach program. It was no secret that I was a pipe smoker, and so I frequently had people come by telling me they needed some cigarettes to get them to Friday or something. I bought bags of various RYO tobaccos from Low Bob's. I would give them about an ounce in a ziplock baggie. I would always ask if they had papers, and they always said yes.

I would buy bulk RYO tobacco locally for $12 a pound or something for your project. You know that will work with the tubes, and it is going to be the cigarette experience they are expecting.

Check if you have a local tobacco shop, I can get actual RYO for about a buck something an oz
But is it any good. I have rolled pipe tobacco in the past. Peter Stokkebye does some thin ribbons that are dual purpose (Amsterdam, etc.). Chunkier cuts don't usually burn right.

I have always enjoyed English blends rolled as cigarettes, and fine cut dark stuff like Black Irish X is good.

But is it any good. I have rolled pipe tobacco in the past. Peter Stokkebye does some thin ribbons that are dual purpose (Amsterdam, etc.). Chunkier cuts don't usually burn right.

I have always enjoyed English blends rolled as cigarettes, and fine cut dark stuff like Black Irish X is good.
Yea the stuff I get here is pretty good, as far as cigarettte tobacco goes (don't smoke much cigarettes anymore). It far above regular branded cigarettes.