Have pipe will travel

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2027

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
So what do you use to carry your pipes and tobacco?

For the day I will usually fill tobacco pouch or two or pocket a tin and two pipes in my front pocket.   If I am camping or planning a smoking a lot I use an Rothco G.I. Mechanical bag.  I have individual cloth bags i put the pipes in to keep them from banging around and several tobacco's for all occasions.

Here is a link to the bag https://www.massdrop.com/buy/rothco-g-i-type-mechanics-tool-bags?utm_source=linkshare&referer=ACTW4A.  I loved it so much I ordered another bag for the car to hold emergency supplies. Which also has a pipe and tin of tobacco.  I mean hell if it is an emergency I definitely need something to calm me down.

When I travel it's typically with a rucsac in the hills or a duffle bag lobbed into the back of my VeeDub van. For this reason I tend to favour a plastic tuppaware container with a snap lid that is just large enough to hold 2 pipes, cleaners, pipe tool and lighter. I put each pipe in a small cotton sports sock to stop them getting dinked. If I'm travelling light in the hills the tuppaware container has enough space for several bowls of a preferred baccy decanted into a zip lock bag. If I'm not travelling light I'll simply toss several mason jars into my duffle. Works for me!

I have a five-pipe leather pipe bag with two outside zipper compartments for matches, pipe tool/s, etc. If I just take smaller straight-stemmed pipes, five fit comfortably. If I go with larger "straights," four may be a max fit. Bents cause problems due the space bent stems use. Sometimes one bent and two or three straights. Just depends on the size of the pipe/s.
Tobacco is another problem. The above pipe bag came with a matching roll up/snap pouch, which has somehow managed to disappear!! Just this past week, I purchased one of the vintage tobacco pouches that LJ Peretti has for sale. It arrives today. Large zippered with a zippered pocket for a pipe. This will do me for short day trips. For longer trips, I just put various tobaccos (tins and glassed) in a strong paper bag with extra pipe cleaners, wipe rags, etc. :cheers: FTRPLT

Mine looks something like this-

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=290924

001-069-0531.9885.jpg

001-069-0531_1.5725.jpg

Can hold 4 pipes, a lighter, tamper, cleaners, and a pouch of toby. Got it years ago at the local T-Box.

Cheers,

RR

I've had a nice, leather one similar to Brewdude's above for over 20 years now. However, I'm going to actually use it for the first time on a trip in a couple weeks. Usually, my pipe travel bag is a one-quart freezer weight Ziploc bag. (No one has ever accused me of having class!)

Most trips for me these days are backpacking or canoe camping, so light weight and waterproof are essential. For a weeks trip, (two bowls a day plus a cigar every couple days) I'll usually fill several snack-sized Ziplocs, each with two or three bowls of different tobaccos, two of my lighter pipes, a folding pipe stand, a half-dozen pipe cleaners, a mini-bic, a small pack of tissues, and two or three good cigars in plastic tubes. They all fit into a quart Ziploc bag and weigh under a pound.

Natch

I use my traveldor for all the stuff in bags I haven't jarred up. Didn't think of that for holding pipes. That is a great idea for traveling!

I have pipes, tobacco and pipe cleaners strategically located in my office, the car, etc. When I leave the house I usually have the pipe in my mouth I will be smoking on the drive and at work.

If I go on retreat somewhere or visit the in-laws, I will put a few supplies in a gallon zip-lock freezer bag.

I use a 1 pipe Savinelli pouch in camo out and about. A 2 pipe Peterson in brown suede for work and a brown sorringowl and son 2 pipe for fancy times lol.

I have a lot of pipe luggage to choose from but thankfully I don't have to travel overnight for work anymore (knock wood!) and I rarely travel anywhere but when I do I use my Smokin' Holsters 8/16 Ultimate Pipe Bag.:shock:

Today is pipe and accessories picture day. I use a travel kit for wrangling the stuff and a pipe case. The travel kit is pretty old and I am not sure where it was purchased. The pipe case holds two pipes and a pouch of tobacco and lighter or matches.

When backpacking or hiking, which I unfortunately don't make time for anymore, I used one of my larger felt pipe socks that came with a pipe at one point. You know, minimalist and less weight. If I didn't have one, I'd probably modify a men's dress sock. Stuff a pipe, tobacco, lighter, and tamper in there.

When traveling, I have a Preben Holm leather case, which is basically a small shave kit like thingy, with a single compartment that is quilt-lined and zips at the top. Each pipe in a pipe sock etc. Could probably comfortably fit six pipes in there with all the other necessary stuff. I had a Dunhill 6-pipe bag a long time ago, but I didn't find it anymore convenient, or safe, than the Preben Holm situation. Sold or traded the Dunhill bag. I don't much care for the slotted bags like the Dunhill. Feel the pipes are safer in their own socks than slid next to each other, and geez again, minimalism is almost always my preferred solution.