Have you been knocked on your keester lately?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
Calling all bad-asses.

Sometimes I need a tolerance check and when I do I cut up one of the many bits of rope that I have. I recently smoked some Sam Gawith Brown Rope No. 4, small bowl, really small. I am talking half a Stanwell Featherweight small. I took a nap right afterwards that was more of a limp uneasy slumber than a peaceful rest. At least I didn't yak.

Tonight I am enjoying some Triple Play which I feel is right at the edge of my happy zone. I am wondering, how do I get to the rope zone? I want to smoke the ropes, enjoy them and experience what they have to offer. I just can't seem to get there. Is there a constitution that one has to have that either you have or you don't? Thoughts?

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice. Assuming you're in good health, I'd say that you could build up a tolerance for extra robust weed by using it a bit every day. Can't say I empathize with the endeavor, but do whatever turns ya' on, especially when in pursuit of bad-assery.  :pirate:

A strong rope blend is a good smoke right before bedtime. Start off slow, if everything starts spinning stop immediately! Me I'm enjoying a pipe for over 47 years and enjoy a good rope any time of day. A friend from Germany recently sent me just under 6 oz. of Strang. To me Strang is the BEST tobacco I've ever smoked, and I've smoked many blends in my day. Including cakes/kakes and plugs. :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

today we have a wide choice of tobacco to choose from.  different styles , taste and octane.  why would you force yourself to like something that you really do not feel comfortable with?.  my suggestion , forget the ropes and continue with 3play or whatever you enjoy.

I had a fairly large bowl of Pete Irish Flake a few nights ago. It was so good, I chased it with a second, equally large, bowl. That was a poor, poor decision!

lb":uuxfkwpf said:
today we have a wide choice of tobacco to choose from.  different styles , taste and octane.  why would you force yourself to like something that you really do not feel comfortable with?.  my suggestion , forget the ropes and continue with 3play or whatever you enjoy.
Good question. I love bold & spicy tasting tobacco. The flavor strength and characteristics of Brown Rope No. 4 were practically a revelation for me, I just wish the nicotine wasn't so high. If I could find a way around it, I would smoke it a lot more.

I'm cautious with my 'baccy. I'm just not a fan of the strong stuff. I don't smoke at all for the nic hit, so I avoid it. If I start to get that feeling, I rest the pipe and dump. I just don't like the feeling at all.

DrumsAndBeer":hxv1t9lg said:
lb":hxv1t9lg said:
Good question. I love bold & spicy tasting tobacco. The flavor strength and characteristics of Brown Rope No. 4 were practically a revelation for me, I just wish the nicotine wasn't so high. If I could find a way around it, I would smoke it a lot more.  
Chris, it just occurred to me that perhaps we could both enjoy strong ropes more without the full nic-hit by blending it with something more benign, like straight burley 50/50. It would decrease the flavor intensity a bit, yet might make it more manageable. Think I'll give this a whirl and report back.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":d88qx7sc said:
DrumsAndBeer":d88qx7sc said:
lb":d88qx7sc said:
Chris, it just occurred to me that perhaps we could both enjoy strong ropes more without the full nic-hit by blending it with something more benign, like straight burley 50/50. It would decrease the flavor intensity a bit, yet might make it more manageable. Think I'll give this a whirl and report back.

Cheers,

RR
That's the spirit!

Brewdude":qy5jrqlq said:

Cheers,

RR
Perhaps. I do have some plain but high quality straight burleys lying around. Uhles Perfection Plug and Sutliff Breckenridge. That might be the ticket. Thanks for the suggestion.

Stick":m5ikdp9f said:
I'm cautious with my 'baccy.  I'm just not a fan of the strong stuff.  I don't smoke at all for the nic hit, so I avoid it.  If I start to get that feeling, I rest the pipe and dump.  I just don't like the feeling at all.
That's where I am. I guess I was born to be moderate to mild. I'm after the sense of relaxation that comes with rhythmic breathing. If / when I feel a Nic hit coming on I usually stop. Lots of ways to get there.

Lots of good testimony here. I use these:

1. Yes to a small portion. And...It's OK to stop before the bowl is done. Also OK to smoke VERY slowly.
2. Don't like to mix the stuff. It changes that flavor dynamic to 'something else'. Of course, if you LIKE that something else, then go for it.
3. Yes to the N absorption being buffered by a big meal.
4. Being tired, run down or sick will allow the N to hit you harder.
5. Doing the deed earlier in the day might therefore be an asset. Try having a big lunch, or even breakfast, followed by the rope.

These tactics work for me. YMMV

Blackhorse":i02q0qv1 said:
Lots of good testimony here. I use these:

1. Yes to a small portion. And...It's OK to stop before the bowl is done. Also OK to smoke VERY slowly.
2. Don't like to mix the stuff. It changes that flavor dynamic to 'something else'. Of course, if you LIKE that something else, then go for it.
3. Yes to the N absorption being buffered by a big meal.
4. Being tired, run down or sick will allow the N to hit you harder.
5. Doing the deed earlier in the day ma[y] therefore be an asset. Try having a big lunch, or even breakfast, followed by the rope.

These tactics work for me. YMMV
Excellent advice--and number 5 can also serve for those departing for Bliss Eternal after losing the U.S. election next Tuesday. Har! Har! Joke, get it?

Blackhorse, that's good advice in general for most pipe smokers. Some people will never be able to smoke strong rope blends. I've smoked cigars for 49 years and can smoke what's known as AIR-BENDERS, very strong stoggies. A friend of mine tried a number of times because he enjoyed the flavor, but he always loses his lunch at the end. Just not for some people with sensitive stomachs. Plenty of great tobacco blends for those who feel dizzy or sick to their stomach from the heavy nicotine hit. Just enjoy life and smoke your favorite blends :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Oh, he tried that. If you try and cut it with a Virginia or Burley the rope blend tends too also lose some of its flavor. Me, I can smoke strong tobacco's all day.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

As Richard Burley said above, a lot of it is tolerance. I prefer strong smokes and almost nothing fazes me anymore. D&R's Picayune is the only thing I'm smoking these days that's strong enough to occasionally give me hiccups, though when I first started experimenting with e.g. Gawith Hoggarth ropes about eighteen years ago, they would knock me right on my butt. So if getting into the "rope zone" is important to you, I'd second the suggestion of building a tolerance by smoking small and gradually increasing amounts every day or every other day.