Have you been knocked on your keester lately?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lb":uls31v0u said:
today we have a wide choice of tobacco to choose from.  different styles , taste and octane.  why would you force yourself to like something that you really do not feel comfortable with?.  my suggestion , forget the ropes and continue with 3play or whatever you enjoy.
Agree 100%

idbowman":ahpe7r7q said:
I had a fairly large bowl of Pete Irish Flake a few nights ago.  It was so good, I chased it with a second, equally large, bowl.  That was a poor, poor decision!
:lol: :lol: .......I know what you're talking about

DrumsAndBeer":nyqmdw29 said:
Brewdude":nyqmdw29 said:
Chris, it just occurred to me that perhaps we could both enjoy strong ropes more without the full nic-hit by blending it with something more benign, like straight burley 50/50. It would decrease the flavor intensity a bit, yet might make it more manageable. Think I'll give this a whirl and report back.

Cheers,

RR
Perhaps. I do have some plain but high quality straight burleys lying around. Uhles Perfection Plug and Sutliff Breckenridge. That might be the ticket. Thanks for the suggestion.  
Since others made the suggestion, I can only echo it. I don't know it that worked for me, but I think it did.

Chris it takes practice. Keep at it and soon you'll be enjoying the ropes. :)

AJ

I've tried rope tobacco and I feel if smoking this garbage that tastes like creosote soaked grease rags wrapped in newspaper makes or defines one as tough then I think I'll just pass sir. I think what makes one tough is having the wisdom to know the difference between thinking one is tough and really being tough.
If I choose to smoke tar paper cigars it would hardly make me tough, only sadly ignorant. ;)

Cartaphilus":s58krnt7 said:
smoking this ... that tastes like creosote soaked grease rags wrapped in newspaper
Oh, you've tried SG Black XX! ;) I like the others I've tried better

DrT999":j0mv4csi said:
Cartaphilus":j0mv4csi said:
smoking this ... that tastes like creosote soaked grease rags wrapped in newspaper  
Oh, you've tried SG Black XX! ;)  I like the others I've tried better
I much prefer the brown ropes to the black, but they're also a bit stronger.

DrT999":udpzw4zw said:
Cartaphilus":udpzw4zw said:
Yes sir and that was enough for me, anything that tastes that bad is not worth further research IMHO.
Nowadays I do little experimenting and only smoke Escudo and ODF with an occasional visit of a few Germain blends on special occasions. ;)

Cartaphilus":g3sd5y75 said:
DrT999":g3sd5y75 said:
Cartaphilus":g3sd5y75 said:
Yes sir and that was enough for me, anything that tastes that bad is not worth further research IMHO.
Nowadays I do little experimenting and only smoke Escudo and ODF with an occasional visit of a few Germain blends on special occasions. ;)  
Oddly, while I don't care for the SG Black XX, I do like the GH version. Still, we all have different tastes.

fsu92john":e82be71b said:
I much prefer the brown ropes to the black, but they're also a bit stronger.
Same here.

And yes SG Black XX does have a greasy burnt tallow flavor that is somewhat disagreeable.

I enjoy the rich flavor of the brown ropes, but still to this point, even smoking very small amounts at a time, I can't get past the effect of the nicotine. :no:

Last night/early this morning I put myeslf to bed after a bowl of Dark Flake Scented. Made it almost to the bottom of a Falcon bowl before I had to stop. A great smoke to be sure, but I won't try smoking it during a road trip driving....

As long as I am cautious, I can smoke Dark Flake Scented with out any ill effects. That's one of my favorite G&H flakes.

Coniston & Bosun are good ones too.

I have a small bowl clay tavern pipe with a long stem that I smoke these in. Keeps me honest.