Having A Cup of Tea

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Every morning I make a 14 oz cup of French press or moka pot dark roast coffee. The blend name varies, but I often buy Lavazza brand at Costco Business Center, usually about $10.00 for 2.2 lbs.of whole bean. Recommended coffee scoops for my travel cup, about 2, but I use four.
During the day, I often have a cup of tea. I have a lot of tea varieties, usually as loose tea, not tea bags. I've tried Russian caravan, lapsang souchong, and others, but I always seem to go back to Earl Grey. Today, I opened a box of Twinnings Lady Grey teabags I picked up at the grocery. I heated the water in the instapot, warmed a 12 oz. metal steeping cup and dropped in two teabags. Huh? It tastes like I'd taken a tablespoon of loose Earl Grey and plopped it into a quart of water. Live and learn, I guess.
Lately, because loose tea is rarely available at the grocery, I've been buying mostly from Amazon. It seems that once you make a purchase, Amazon sends an email for every tea special.
Does anyone have recommendations for internet tea vendors?

I order my tea from uptontea.com I've always had good service and fast shipping.

I grew up on Twinnings Earl Grey, still one of my favorite teas. I don't drink tea regularly but between the wife and myself we will go through a couple pounds of coffee a week. I do really enjoy a good cup of tea from time to time though and drink it a lot when I visit my mom.

Every morning I make a 14 oz cup of French press or moka pot dark roast coffee. The blend name varies, but I often buy Lavazza brand at Costco Business Center, usually about $10.00 for 2.2 lbs.of whole bean. Recommended coffee scoops for my travel cup, about 2, but I use four.
During the day, I often have a cup of tea. I have a lot of tea varieties, usually as loose tea, not tea bags. I've tried Russian caravan, lapsang souchong, and others, but I always seem to go back to Earl Grey. Today, I opened a box of Twinnings Lady Grey teabags I picked up at the grocery. I heated the water in the instapot, warmed a 12 oz. metal steeping cup and dropped in two teabags. Huh? It tastes like I'd taken a tablespoon of loose Earl Grey and plopped it into a quart of water. Live and learn, I guess.
Lately, because loose tea is rarely available at the grocery, I've been buying mostly from Amazon. It seems that once you make a purchase, Amazon sends an email for every tea special.

Where did you get Russian Caravan? I have not seen it for years her eon the West Coast.

If you chaps across the Pond want an honest brew that is your bog standard, no fuss, staple of many here in Blighty, see if you can get your hands on some Yorkshire Tea. Best brewed (IMHO) ‘NATO Standard’ - milk, one sugar 👍

Where did you get Russian Caravan? I have not seen it for years her eon the West Coast.

You can try Twinings Tea USA .com
Several varieties of loose Teas, including Earl Gray, some called Lady Earl Gray.
Gunpowder? Green Tea , loose, for those who are into green tea!

I drink at least a liter of tea a day. I buy half kilo loose leaf or kilo CTC leaf packages from the Punjabi grocers over the Flowery Range. (Have to go over the mountains about monthly whether I need more tea or not.) But for internet tea vendors I use www.bulkshopmarket.com/ Their selections are different from what has been discussed previously.

I get some spices there. The teas offered are all Indian style. The loose teas are mamri/CTC leaf (which I use for mixing and to me can be interchanged - a connoisseur would disagree.) Masala means mixed (not fixed) spice. I've discovered that for small orders if you search "Bulk Shop Market" on E-Bay and find your item, you can save on shipping.

I might try some of the spices. I mean...a pound of curry powder for $2.56...that’s crazy.

Edir: Found it on eBay easily enough. Ordered 7 oz of “Curry” for $6.89 delivered. I know there is curry...and then there’s CURRY. But this is cheap enough that it’s worth trying out.

Last edited:
Have you tried Lapsang Souchong? If you're a fan of latakia, or smokiness in general, it might be something to try. It's my favorite kind of tea. It's not for every occasion, but it definitely has a place.