HDTV's help me pick!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
Panasonic TC-P54S2 or Panasonic TC-P58S2 (another 4 inchs for $100) or Samsung LN55C650 ??

Thanks

Bullwinkle":vs8m9xo6 said:
Panasonic TC-P54S2 or Panasonic TC-P58S2 (another 4 inchs for $100) or Samsung LN55C650 ??

Thanks
TV is all about the picture so go with the one that beats out the others for pleasing picture "in you eyes" . 8)

Funny you post this!!!
I am wondering the same thing about it, I am leaning towards the Samsung myself, Dig the Sony too!
Will make my final choice when the time comes mid next month!

Piet Binsbergen":bh3rvrxb said:
Funny you post this!!!
I am wondering the same thing about it, I am leaning towards the Samsung myself, Dig the Sony too!
Will make my final choice when the time comes mid next month!
somebody sure sounds like they have a little cash to spend...

Comes down to usage. 1st of all, how far from the TV will most viewers be sitting? Secondly will it be used for video games?

Also realize that most, if not all, plasma TV's have a glossy screen surface where most LCD's have a matte finish screen. So what? Where is the light coming from in the room. Gloss tends to reflect more light causing more glare.

That being said plasmas have a much higher "refresh" rate (the pixels change colors faster) meaning that fast motion will generally be crisper on a plasma. This gap has narrowed significantly over the past few years though. Plasmas are also brighter than most LCD's out there.

Also, Plasma's tend to use a lot more power than a comparable LCD. Almost as much as a comparably sized CRT would use.

Screen burn in issues have been largely improved on with plasmas though it is still an issue to a degree regardless of what salespeople like to say. If you're going to be playing video games or watching the same 1 or 2 channels all the time ((CNN with their ticker is a huge culprit) Expect to see burn in issues on a plasma.

For purely movie watching and some TV usage in a dark room I'd take a plasma any day of the week. For a "family" TV I'd go with the LCD.

Hope this helps!

Thanks bro, I am an artist, very restricted when it comes to electronics!!!!

my vote is for samsung. The last panasonic tv I bought didn't work to good. Tube blew out the first time I tried to turn it on

Vercer":cyclvst4 said:
For purely movie watching and some TV usage in a dark room I'd take a plasma any day of the week. For a "family" TV I'd go with the LCD.

Hope this helps!
What about LED? Too soon?

We have both plasma and LCD,,,Vercer hit it, plasma has a shiny screen so light angles are an issue,,,LCD for a family room where viewing angles and light varies,,,the latest refresh rates are comparable and picture quality in HD are equal to me.

thanks guys, I went to 2 different stores today that had both models and the sales guy let me adjust the picture to specs I found of several review site. IMHO and YMMV but the Samsung looked much better.

Before you buy, check out the Vizio lineup. I know they are considered to be low end but they have really stepped up their game with high-end features like IPS display panels and the like in some of their models. We have 3 of their displays (lower end units, I am not really a big TV buff) and even our 3-year old model still looks great. Not the least is we bought ours at Costco where you get 90 days to return for any reason if you don't like them.

This www.avsforum.com is a great place to read reviews and real-life experience with pretty much all the brands and models. Just noticed they have some threads comparing the exact models you are looking at.

Hermit":aw60ewh1 said:
Vercer":aw60ewh1 said:

Hope this helps!
What about LED? Too soon?
LED refers simply to the backlight, not the underlying technology used to display the picture itself. Mostly it's used to even out the picture of an LCD since traditionally the backlights on those were placed solely at the top and bottom of the display leaving a dimmer area as you moved to the middle of the screen. This was only an issue on the larger TV's and really only noticeable in a completely dark environment.

Are LED's backlights worth the money comes down again to where it's being used. In a pitch black "media room" type environment I'd say absolutely. In a typical family room? Probably not.