Headaches

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I need to type a bit of an article-post. It's kinda tobacco-related, but I wanted to throw this out there anyway.

I usually only smoke a pipeful or two a day. It's all I need. If I smoke more than that, I'm either bored, being more anti-social than normal, or both. Aside from the sign of possible overindulgence clues such as "leather tongue," deadened olfactory, and more pipes to clean than usual, one factor seems to creep up, and most notably, during weather warming up: headaches.

My initial thought was hydration, for at least in my case, living in the desert, you naturally take in more water than one might in a more humid environment. Psychological, or sweat output? I'm not sure. I've spent some time in the South, where in the summertime going from point A to point B, one swims through the humidity in July more than walks. Sweating in vain is an uncomfortable, terrible experience for a desert rat like myself.

There's something to be said about heat, more than the obvious. Winters in Northern Nevada are disturbingly dry. If any poor souls are prone to eczema or psoriasis, I think about the only way to survive is bathing in lanolin. Fortunately, that isn't me. One thing that does affect most that have true season changes is blood thickness: and not for the reasons one would suspect. It's a myth blood "thickens in winter" (and thins in summer). However, our water intake does change in colder weather, because there's a psychological factor that because we're cold, we don't need moisture. Of course we need moisture, hot or cold--it's one of the things talked about in many types of field training: hydrate.

Capillaries, on the other hand, are affected. To preserve heat when body temperatures drop (even by tenths of a degree), they constrict. When warm, they expand and dilate. Enter in our collective fondness for our pipe tobacco, which happens to also contain nicotine, and we have a conflict--because nicotine constricts capillaries. Warmer weather is something we have to "get used to" as much as the cold, and capillaries seem to be as lazy as we can be. The first 75F day in the sun after a cool/cold winter can seem like 95F. The first 40F day after a summer of 90F+ days seems like skinny dipping in the Arctic Sea.

My recent interest in "high-octane" tobaccos, things like ropes, pressed and aged plugs, even Greg Pease's deliciously dangerous new Navigator mix, all of them have been a pain. Literally speaking. Not so much a nicotine hangover, but true pressure-thumping, whole-skull pain. This usually happens after a full day of pipe overindulging, resting, and then waking up with something pretty solid in the nicotine department.

The solution? There's a few, at least using myself as a guinea pig.

* Smoke less. I know, heresy.

* Smoke milder. Ugh. Is that really an option?

* Drink more fluids at all times. As obvious as it sounds, water is good for you. It's the lubricant of the circulatory system, and if your blood is thick, it will thin out with good old fashioned glass of municipal City Gin. Lazy, season-stricken capillaries will get a kick in their arse.

* Hot showers, especially if a nicotine-plus-season-change headache has already settled in. I might have already been overheated, but mixed with even the slightest dehydration, local application of heat to affected areas does the trick.

* Stay away from stuff that dries you out. Salt and alcohol are usually the main contributors...all they do is require more water to metabolize, and if you're not taking in H20, you're asking for trouble. It's easier to have a string water chasers during a meal or alcoholic binge with your buddies on the weekend than nursing a thumping head later.

* Allergies (and the prescriptions products used to fight them). I'm a sufferer, through and through. Sinuses hate pollen, as well as other exposed, tender body parts. If you've ever seen pollen under a microscope, they look like they could be enlarged, attached to a chain and handle, and used in a medieval battle. Horrible little bastards, all in the name of mating flora, they don't care who it affects. Mucous membranes hold on to the larger pollen particles (pine trees having some of the largest), as they grind and irritate, smaller ones actually get into the blood stream--and get trapped places they shouldn't. Read the side-effects on your solution of choice, too--if headaches are one of them, all of the above could compound the problem.

After only smoking a pipe for the last couple of years, I'm intrigued by the seasonal changes that happen with flavor cravings with tobacco, but even more curious to how my body adapted to the extremes of weather I experience as a Nevadan. It's fleeting, perhaps only a month or so in my realm, but it's worth mentioning and sharing my thoughts and notes of this (perhaps shared) painful phenomenon. I know I'm not the only one.

Smoke on, brothers.

(...and stay hydrated...)

8)

I have been smoking a pipe for a year this month at about your same pace. I will say that my body tells me what tobacco it will allow. I live in a hot humid climate which I don't mind. I can sit outside in the heat under a tree and do grueling labor all day even at 40.

I agree with you 100% though. I have banged up sinuses. Genetics etc play a part. I have no allergies per a test this year. I do have a family history of migraines and shitty sinus structure. Tobacco effects your capillaries as you've stated.

Early in the spring I could only smoke burleys (CH) and now I'm able to sneak in FVF. But I keep it light in the heat with Carter Hall. Drink a LOT of water.

Even now, I'm getting ready to work in the garden. I just pulled 10 azaleas from my yard yesterday. I'm down a few beers and my cob is loaded with CH. I may smoke an after dinner Balkan after I finish grilling. I'm a weekend smoker.

Salt intake is a MAJOR issue. Limit the hell out of that if you are drinking or smoking. I think it has more to do with how it plays with your metabolism, blood pressure and water intake. Like you said, capillaries in your head are very sensitive. I drink a lot of water. I know I'm drinking enough when my trips to the pisser coordinate with my water intake. If I'm drinking a 1/4 gallon of water but not having to run to the bathroom within an hour, I'm not drinking enough water. That's my gauge for my body. Yours may be different.

This season has played hell on my sinuses though. My GF is suffering the same issues (no allergies, but dry sinuses, chapped lips etc) so her being my "control test" it's not just my high stress job, back-breaking work and the devils brew and smoke. :)

And remember to take you vitamins, eat your greens and limit red meat, sugar and saturated fat. :D

I blame it on my journey to being an old curmudgeon. :D

Kyle: There is another possible cause to your headaches when indulging in pipe smoking that you may not have considered. Blood Pressure. Smoking raises blood pressure and some people experience headaches when their blood pressure is elevated. Be interesting to know the results if you check your blood pressure the next time you had a headache while smoking or right after. My dad smoked a pipe for years and began having headaches while and right after smoking. Then he started having TIA's. He had to give up his pipes. Elevated blood pressure is nothing to play with. BTW blood pressure is not a respecter of age. Besides the brothers here are taking bets on whether you can achieve 20,000 post by Christmas. My money is on you making it and I'd hate to see you succumb to some malady caused by high blood pressure. :roll: :roll: :roll: :) :)
AJ

Dry sinuses can cause headache in my experience. Sometimes using a saline mist can end a headache quicker than aspirin.

And yes, blood pressure can be a big factor. Especially if you have anxiety issues (like I do). It may be wise to treat a smoke like you would a salty meal and limit your salt that day. Even moderate high blood pressure can cause headaches.

1 or 2 bowls a day? You are reminding me of that president -- you know -- the one that didn't inhale.

I go through a 1.5# box of Navy Slices in about 6 weeks. Plus a bit of this or that for variety.

Don't mess with headaches though. As others state, it can be a marker for real problems. A lot of drug stores have blood pressure machines you can check when you have one. That can help remove the anxiety or confirm a need. Not the best diagnosis but better than none.

Stands to reason that a variety of 'bac may be the cause of your headaches, for me Burley will cause me to start sneezing even as I smell it in a tin or pouch. It's how I know if a blend has any in it. But the advice about other reasons for your headaches given here has some relevance as well. Just going by what is read at a doctors visit is not really sufficient to check things out, but consistent headaches are an indication that there may be some other factors at work in your body. BP problems and strokes are not unknown in guys your age so I'd check out more than just what 'bac your smoking guy. A BP machine will cost no more than a good basket pipe so acquiring one might be a good idea. ;)

Never had a headache from the pipe.

Smoking too-heavy nic weeds have produced shakes, sweats, borderline nausea, and a sudden involuntary evacuation of the lower bowels. But headaches....never. At least so far.

:|

Cheers,

RR

Whoa! How's that for word salad? Mama always said the squeakiest wheels need the most grease. That headache must have you out of your mind. :drunken: Try a regimen of Zyrtec and water. Lots of water. Works like a charm.

Those are good considerations, the blood pressure, and the not-much-mentioned coffee (or other caffeinated beverages). Oddly, caffeine dilates blood vessels and capillaries under normal conditions, but it also quickens the heart, increasing blood pressure. It also dehydrates you, and increases both fluid and solid metabolism. Many older headache remedies (I'm sure some of you are familiar with old-fashioned "headache powders") have caffeine in them for this reason.

However, any headache is not simply a headache. I've dealt with migraines for years, and fortunately, as I've aged, they seem to have subsided...in my youth, I could be out for days, seeing lights and putting cold compresses on both temples of my head. Awful stuff. Unless dealt with and diagnosed/known about for a long time, sudden comings of headaches should be taken seriously, no doubt. Aberrations even in "normal" headaches also should be acknowledged.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) for you all, I have excellent, low blood pressure, and will not succumb to affects of that nature any time soon. I exercise three to four days a week for an hour or two per session (Aikido is great), and when I'm working, I'm hiking with a pack for miles in the hills. Ulcers have forced me to all but abandon red meat and saturated fats, fried food, too much alcohol, milk products and chocolate. Interestingly, I never ate much of that stuff anyway, I've always eaten healthy. Genetics would have been the last straw, because I'm sure all of us know at least one health nut that's beside him or herself because they happen to have high blood pressure, no matter what they do.

My numbers on routine checkups? A steady 75 - 80 over 105 - 110. The only times there's been anomalies was when I happened to drink tea or coffee right before a checkup, and even the doc said, "...had any stimulants today? Coffee? Soda? Tea?" I didn't need to nod, I was already twitching. :) I had caffeine poisoning a few years ago, and can't even handle a half cup of green tea without feeling pretty terrible...now you know why the pipe: I don't have many vice choices left! :lol:

In my realm, I am keen on the theory it has something to do with season change, and as mentioned, type of tobacco. I love me some thick, matured Kentucky leaf. Boy is it good. But it packs a punch. Cigars can be the same way, and gee, what have I been smoking? Storm Front and Robusto, along with Navigator.

*shrug*

Your results and self-diagnosis (I won't tell your doctor) may vary, but it's an interesting subject matter, one I haven't found discussed much around here.

If you had migraines at some point it could the way your system is wired. Like I said, could be basic genetics. I have a really small sinus on the left side of my forehead. That is a very active sinus and where mucus is produced. I get pounding headaches there. You can get a CT scan to find these things out but your sinuses can be "unremarkable" even though you have funky sinuses that cause pain. Like mine...

If you have a trigger, it could most likely be a simple reaction. Allergic or not.

You can spend a million dollars on medical tests and never find an answer to an ache or pain. I know... and it usually always points to anxiety.

I do think that people over 40 should get a stress test. Those things are awesome. They plug you into an EKG machine and run you until you almost pass out. You find your limit and if you have an issue you need to get treatment for. $700-1000 w/o insurance though. I never stress out if I feel I've worked too hard like I once did. The human body is, by default, a work horse.

As you get older, caffeine can be a hidden culprit in a lot of ailments. I at one point i my life drank 10+ cups of coffee a day (brutal work days). I limit myself to 1-2 in the mornings now. I do still drink unsweet (hot or cold) tea but no sodas.

I have also been told by an allergist that allergens are getting worse year by year. Another thing to consider although you do live in low allergen climate (dry).

I do agree with the water statement too. A headache is a first sign of dehydration. It can also be a simple sign of low blood sugar. I eat a banana and some unsalted peanuts during the day if I don't want to eat a full meal but I'm working outside. Bananas are brain food and nuts/protein gives your body something to process for a while.

I never thought of low blood sugar being a cause. Nicotine will cause a drop in blood sugar level. It also causes a constriction of blood vessels. I was thinking that a rebound in the capillaries after smoking could cause a HA. HAs are usually caused by expanded capillaries not constricted ones. That why aspirin combats head aches. FWIW. :roll:

Hereward":hsid7kg5 said:
If you had migraines at some point it could the way your system is wired. Like I said, could be basic genetics. I have a really small sinus on the left side of my forehead. That is a very active sinus and where mucus is produced. I get pounding headaches there. You can get a CT scan to find these things out but your sinuses can be "unremarkable" even though you have funky sinuses that cause pain. Like mine...

If you have a trigger, it could most likely be a simple reaction. Allergic or not.

You can spend a million dollars on medical tests and never find an answer to an ache or pain. I know... and it usually always points to anxiety.

I do think that people over 40 should get a stress test. Those things are awesome. They plug you into an EKG machine and run you until you almost pass out. You find your limit and if you have an issue you need to get treatment for. $700-1000 w/o insurance though. I never stress out if I feel I've worked too hard like I once did. The human body is, by default, a work horse.

As you get older, caffeine can be a hidden culprit in a lot of ailments. I at one point i my life drank 10+ cups of coffee a day (brutal work days). I limit myself to 1-2 in the mornings now. I do still drink unsweet (hot or cold) tea but no sodas.

I have also been told by an allergist that allergens are getting worse year by year. Another thing to consider although you do live in low allergen climate (dry).

I do agree with the water statement too. A headache is a first sign of dehydration. It can also be a simple sign of low blood sugar. I eat a banana and some unsalted peanuts during the day if I don't want to eat a full meal but I'm working outside. Bananas are brain food and nuts/protein gives your body something to process for a while.

Genetics are always a pretty easy way out if something bodily-irritating can't be nailed down completely...it's a frustrating thing. I have a good "self awareness" of my body's proclivities, anyway, no need to spend millions. I listen to my body. It seems to know better than my observations/conclusions, rationale, etc., of what is wrong. Kind of a trial-and-error thing, mostly.

I have very bizarre, sensitive body chemistry. I can't even take multivitamins, because they act like a Red Bull in my system--very uncomfortable. I have an iron intolerance. Stimulants in many forms react very poorly with me. Cold medication is a no-no, and even if I am forced to take that sort of remedy, I take 1/4 doses. Coricidin HBP varieties are probably the only thing I've found that works. Fortunately, I don't get infections very often, hardly get sick...so it works itself out.

All-in-all, I take care of myself. The weirdness is semi-serious concern leaning curiosity. Doctors often HATE me because of my ridiculous theories about what's "wrong" with me (not that I'm a hypochondriac, but...overly detailed, as you might have noticed :lol: ) but then again, when they start to realize I'm kind of an odd duck all-around, we end up in trail-and-error mode more on a professional level.

loneredtree":hsid7kg5 said:
I never thought of low blood sugar being a cause. Nicotine will cause a drop in blood sugar level. It also causes a constriction of blood vessels. I was thinking that a rebound in the capillaries after smoking could cause a HA. HAs are usually caused by expanded capillaries not constricted ones. That why aspirin combats head aches. FWIW. :roll:
That's not always the case, though, Marshall--headaches are very misunderstood ailments, for as common as they are. It's often an inconsistent blood flow, at least for the common, every-day kind. It could be too much blood flow, too little, or even a mixture of both (the circulatory system is not binary, nor do reactions happen all at once sytem-wide). However, with cold/heat issues, capillaries do dilate and contract predictably, and with dehydration, they start to shut down. Any of these things can cause perceived pain. Aspirin would not be a good choice for someone expecting relief of heat-related headaches, for example.

Usually I eat before I smoke a pipe. In my past cigarette days, long gone (thank goodness), it was a pretty pleasurable thing to have a meal and then a smoke. It's something I always missed once I quit. Not to mention, after a few empty-stomach rounds with Jackknife plug a year or so ago, I learned quickly not to push a low blood-sugar issue along side powerful doses of nicotine. Boy was I sick. :pale: :lol:

In my own case, nicotine triggered headaches (I'm careful not to say "caused" as a direct correlation) seem to be connected with season change. For example, today I lightened things up with some Rattray's Brown Clunee, and it's about 55F outside. Quite comfortable, actually. No headache. Yesterday was much the same, except I took on Storm Front again (which sometimes causes me cranial grief) and I was okay. Plenty of water, too. :cheers:

Thanks for the discussion, gents. I know sometimes the Internet is a "question and answer" kind of thing, but I much prefer to take educated observations to the table and trade notes. I figure I've survived this long without the Power of the Internet being a go-to, might as well see what other people are doing. Ya know? :cheers: