Hearing devices etc.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
I've worn 2 hearing aids since 1999 starting with the ITE amplified garden variety then when my hearing got worse I purchased my first digitals also ITE.

The next set were digitals but the loss was still getting worse so I now had BTE with a remote volume control.

The next set came from the VA and were digital BTE with Bluetooth capability so I could answer my cellphone w/o picking it up and hang up as well. After experiencing a major episode from Stiff Person Syndrome I had a much harder time hearing from my right ear, understanding what was being said was near nil and the right side of my body was off kilter. A quick evaluation from my neurologist had him scurrying around and feverishly writing notes like I've never seen him do as he was getting no response from anywhere on the right side of my body reflex wise but the left was fine. Thinking I may have had a stroke he had several tests done over the next two days and when I went back to have the results every reflex was back to normal except my hearing shift did not change.

I was referred to a surgical ENT and seen by the audiologist as well. The loss was profound so I was consulted to an ENT that does things not many do like the perfusion I have quarterly. I have experienced an even further shift in my hearing so had to see the audiologist anyway since it was time for my checkup.

Once again another profound shift, so much so that I'm legally deaf w/o any hearing aids and am lucky to understand 20% of a conversation, the only way I get by is that my ability to lip read is around 86% so between that and what little I can hear with the aids I do get by but it is a struggle.

The audiologist told me I am a candidate for Cochlear implants and is consulting me to the ENT that does my perfusion quarterly so I will see him early in July for my perfusion and consult. There's no guarantee I will have this done as there is much testing involved and if I am cleared I will have the surgery, wires will be routed internally to inside my ears the the implants attached, I will also wear 2 BAHA's (battery assisted hearing aids) sound waves will come from the AIDS to the implants to the bones inside my ears so my sounds will be frequency vibrations through the bones.

There is quite a bit of a learning curve for the brain to interpret the sound waves to vocalization, and sound, so I will have a sort of series of speech lesson and sound lesson therapy. This is a huge undertaking given I didn't have a good outlook when I was diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma in 2008 but here I am 8 years later still taking on bionics! ;)

Anyway I was hoping if anyone here either has Cochlear implants or knows someone who does so I can get a bit of advice from the layman in terms of what to expect, pro and con, thanks for listening (yeah pun very much intended) regards.
banjo

Our cybernetics are in different locals but, You will be assimilated!!!

From one Borg to another.. Welcome aborg...er.. I mean aboard.

Hope this stuff works out for ya man. I don't know if you are on Facebook or not but if you are do a search for a group that deals with cochnasomethingorruther. If you aren't on there join, make a fake account if you must, then search for that group. I'm certain it's out there.

puros_bran, thanks for the FB link, I'm on there and will check it out. Regards.
borgo err banjo ;)

Ask Rush Limbaugh. (By ask I mean e-mail him or talk to one of his people. You never know, and he's had the experience big-time.)

Thank you Richard!
banjo

Richard Burley":ktqvyr1n said:
Ask Rush Limbaugh. (By ask I mean e-mail him or talk to one of his people. You never know, and he's had the experience big-time.)

Also don't forgot to say Mega Digos or whatever it is they say.
Then when he says thank you just troll "what" at him a half dozen or so times. He's probably high enough to think it's funny.. I know I am and we are on the same stuff.

Very sorry to, uh, hear, and I hope your tests and treatments will help you.

Banjo, hope you're able to get yourself assimilated without issues. My brother was being pushed for implants but he steadfastly refuses to even talk about it.

Jim