Hearing Loss

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
In the late 1980s a otolaryngologist told me that I stood a good chance of becoming profoundly deaf. Much of the problem originated from my 15 months in Vietnam in '68-'69. I also suffer from tinnitus. When I have tried to use hearing aids, the normal ringing in my ears becomes unbearable. My late wife was unknowingly quite unsympathetic. When I'd ask her to repeat something she'd said, she's bark out, "I told you...."
This comes to mind because yesterday my older (42) daughter dropped by my house before going to visit a friend who is dealing with a re-occurrence of cancer. Because I have a cold, my daughter wore a mask, as a precautionary measure, so as not to pass my cold on to her friend.

I absolutely detest gum chewing, but this daughter rarely is not chewing gum. She knows I hate it, but periodically forgets. With mask on, she chomped away and tried to carry on a conversation with me. Apparently, she asked me a question, and I just nodded at her without responding. I got the "Dad, are you okay?" to which I replied, "Between your gum chewing and the mask, I can make out about 2% of what you're saying." She immediately removed the gum, but she's one of those folks who doesn't really articulate very clearly unless she's speaking in a loud voice. The mask, by its nature, removes high frequency sound waves and can make a masked woman's voice difficult to hear/understand. It's really quite frustrating.

This morning an article in the newspaper had some commentary on this issue; how the hearing problems of the elderly have exacerbated during this time of the pandemic.

I'm thinking that a pair of miniature ear trumpets may be the answer.
EarTrumpet.png

I think the army has basically ruined my hearing as well. Wiring around loud aircraft for most of the last 16 years has taken a toll

Have a VA disability for hearing loss and tinnitus from 25 years of being around jet engines & the residual noise from wearing a helmet while flying. I used "Mickey Mouse" ears and ear sound suppressors buds to no avail.!!

I've tinnitus as well from the many years of playing loud and raucous R&R. Fortunately it's isn't too bad but there is a steep HF loss in my right ear and a somewhat lower loss in my left ear. As a result it becomes awkward and difficult to understand conversations in a room with background noise. Sometimes embarrassingly so...

What I've derived from those that have hearing aids does not inspire me with confidence. Plus there is the cost....

o_O

No Cheers,

RR

I have hearing loss in both ears from too many years working around loud equipment and machinery with inadequate hearing protection, plus some hereditary issues I suspect. I am on my second set of hearing aids, the digital, programmable variety. I don’t have tinnitus. These aids do a decent job of correcting my hearing loss, but are not perfect. Situations with high background noise remain problematic. The pandemic has solved some of that! I can run the volume up and down quite easily with buttons on the aids and can adjust further with an app on my phone. My audiologist makes more complex adjustments that target specific frequencies. The best part with these new aids is the Bluetooth capability which enables my cell phone and iPad to play directly into the aids and with a bluetooth receiver for the TV that plays directly to the aids. I’ve a friend with tinnitus who uses similar aids that he says helps with that situation. They are not inexpensive but are well worth it in my situation. Fortunately, they are water resistant which has helped when I’ve stepped into the shower, forgetting they are in my ears!

Not a true, but a funny story...
My Aunt Rose, now deceased, in her late 80s was at her annual physical. Her doctor was checking her ears, when he asked, "Rose, why do you have a suppository in your ear?" To which she replied, "Now I know where to find my hearing aid."

As a result it becomes awkward and difficult to understand conversations in a room with background noise.
With a lot of background noise, I have to be looking directly at the person talking to me.

Working on airplanes (both radial engines and turbines) for forty plus years hasn't done my hearing any favors (even with wearing ear plugs and muffs). I too suffer from tinnitus but it seems to come and go. If there is any background noise I don't seem to notice the ringing as much. My Son tends to mumble and speak very softly which drives not only me but his Mom and Wife crazy. LOL

In the late 1980s a otolaryngologist told me that I stood a good chance of becoming profoundly deaf. Much of the problem originated from my 15 months in Vietnam in '68-'69. I also suffer from tinnitus. When I have tried to use hearing aids, the normal ringing in my ears becomes unbearable. My late wife was unknowingly quite unsympathetic. When I'd ask her to repeat something she'd said, she's bark out, "I told you...."
This comes to mind because yesterday my older (42) daughter dropped by my house before going to visit a friend who is dealing with a re-occurrence of cancer. Because I have a cold, my daughter wore a mask, as a precautionary measure, so as not to pass my cold on to her friend.

I absolutely detest gum chewing, but this daughter rarely is not chewing gum. She knows I hate it, but periodically forgets. With mask on, she chomped away and tried to carry on a conversation with me. Apparently, she asked me a question, and I just nodded at her without responding. I got the "Dad, are you okay?" to which I replied, "Between your gum chewing and the mask, I can make out about 2% of what you're saying." She immediately removed the gum, but she's one of those folks who doesn't really articulate very clearly unless she's speaking in a loud voice. The mask, by its nature, removes high frequency sound waves and can make a masked woman's voice difficult to hear/understand. It's really quite frustrating.

This morning an article in the newspaper had some commentary on this issue; how the hearing problems of the elderly have exacerbated during this time of the pandemic.

EarTrumpet.png

EarTrumpet.png
since you were in country you are automatically eligible for VAHealth care. You could also be eligible for a monthly disability check.
Go to your local VSO office they will do all the paperwork for both health care and disability.

My sympathies to all. I share your pain. No tinnitus as yet but like mikem 40 years of working in aviation, mostly turbines, has taken it's toll. Have hf hearing loss. Biggest problem is my wife is very soft spoken and will try to talk to me with her back turned. I hear but don't understand. I just say Honey can you please repeat that and make sure she is facing me, lol.

Biggest problem is my wife is very soft spoken and will try to talk to me with her back turned. I hear but don't understand. I just say Honey can you please repeat that and make sure she is facing me, lol.
I used to say that to my late wife..............................several times a day.

since you were in country you are automatically eligible for VAHealth care. You could also be eligible for a monthly disability check.
Go to your local VSO office they will do all the paperwork for both health care and disability.
I am registered for V.A. Health because I've been on the Agent Orange register since it was established and have had multiple surgeries as a product of exposure; just a matter of time until it kills me.

It's rare for hearing aids to enhance the tinnitus. It usually helps it by simply making everything else be heard louder thus masking the tinnitus.
Most hearing aids have a special tinnitus function which by using an adjustable noise tend to mask the tinnitus and make it more bearable. It is used as a special program along with usual ones like a universal one, speech in traffic noise one, music one and others.
Try different hearing aids and let the audiologist try different adjustments to get you to a comfortable level. It takes a lot of work but it usually brings the success.
I'm an audiologist with 18 years of experience and I never give up on customer even if it takes tens of visits and many hours of work.
Cochlear implant is an option only when hearing aids don't work anymore due to real deafness. In Slovenia health insurance covers the operation completely.
I hope it works out for you.
Best wishes!

I served 21 years in the United States Coast Guard and currently a police officer at a airport. I’m 48 years of age and found out in November I will need hearing aids for high pitch loss.

I noticed I was having difficulty hearing once we were mandated to wear these lovely masks.

I’m blessed the VA will cover the costs for the hearing aids. Now on a waiting list to get into the VA. December 30th is the next available appointment.

It's rare for hearing aids to enhance the tinnitus.
I apparently have two sources of my tinnitus, with each the source of a different tonal frequency. I also have the sound of running water and creaking when I'm very tired. I've tried some very sophisticated hearing aids and hearing assistive devices, but all seem to magnify the tinnitus. And, as a army veteran, I can receive hearing aids at no cost to me. And, of course, because of age, etc., I have significant non-tinnitus hearing loss.
Several years ago, I purchased a very expensive, state of the art set of hearing aids. There was a controller I carried in my pocket to adjust frequency response and adjust volume. It didn't go well, and, in fact, I couldn't get my brain to adjust to the necessary environmental changes.
I do realize there are some significant changes to the technology; bluetooth, etc. and I may give hearing aids another try. Until then, maybe an ear trumpet.

I apparently have two sources of my tinnitus, with each the source of a different tonal frequency. I also have the sound of running water and creaking when I'm very tired. I've tried some very sophisticated hearing aids and hearing assistive devices, but all seem to magnify the tinnitus. And, as a army veteran, I can receive hearing aids at no cost to me. And, of course, because of age, etc., I have significant non-tinnitus hearing loss.
Several years ago, I purchased a very expensive, state of the art set of hearing aids. There was a controller I carried in my pocket to adjust frequency response and adjust volume. It didn't go well, and, in fact, I couldn't get my brain to adjust to the necessary environmental changes.
I do realize there are some significant changes to the technology; bluetooth, etc. and I may give hearing aids another try. Until then, maybe an ear trumpet.
I have a good friend in the Rangers who has serious hearing impairment. He has one of the adjustable hearing aids but I just talk louder when talking to him, lol.

I served 21 years in the United States Coast Guard and currently a police officer at a airport. I’m 48 years of age and found out in November I will need hearing aids for high pitch loss.

I noticed I was having difficulty hearing once we were mandated to wear these lovely masks.

I’m blessed the VA will cover the costs for the hearing aids. Now on a waiting list to get into the VA. December 30th is the next available appointment.
Hey Boats, I was where you are a couple years ago. The VA is very good and provide some of the best aids available. They also make it easy to get resupplied with batteries and wax filters. I think you'll be pleased! Take care!