Hearth&Home Classic Burley Kake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Found an open tin in my Cave of Wonders that was is primo shape. Filled up a deep craggy bent Pete and started puffing. I forgot how much I liked this.

Here's the maker's hype:

Classic Burley Kake is a blend that pays homage to old-time Burley flakes and cakes. Using Tennessee and Kentucky Burleys, ranging from lighter white to darker mahogany, and a bit of matured red Virginia, this sliced cake tobacco is a traditional American-style blend. We start with four different types of Burley, the aforementioned Tennessee and Kentucky, plus two different premium white Burleys. Then we add a red Virginia for a maple-like sweetness. The addition of cocoa, rum and a hint of anise completes the comforting flavor and room note. The aroma is mellow and pleasant, and the taste is lightly sweet with a large volume of smoke. Hearken back to a simpler time when the sight of a pipe in someone’s mouth while walking down the street was common, and the scent of pipe tobacco was everywhere. Give Classic Burley Kake a try and go back in time.

Interestingly enough, I think this is fairly accurate!

Nice!

Comparisons between blends are hard to do but I will ask anyway. How does this compare to what I consider to be a couple of bench marks for burleys, namely Storm Front and the codger blends (CH and PA)?

CH and PA are floor sweepings compared to CBK and SF. Um...IMHO.

Since Storm Front is Burley plus Cigar Leaf it would be darker and less sweet than the Kake  I would think. I have both on hand so I'll try a side by side within the week.

BH you picked a great tobacco to write about. I wish my palate was sophisticated enough to detect all the flavors that are supposed to be in this blend but to my chagrin it isn't. However what I do taste reminds me of what pipe smoking smelled and tasted like when I was a much younger man. It has a bit more more sweetness than, what I used to consider my favorite Burley blend, Three Friars. CBK is made from top quality tobacco and is far superior to any of the old drug store blends even my beloved Half and Half. For me it smokes smooth and has a full tobacco taste through the entire bowl. The nic hit is perfect and I can smoke if all day. My wife even likes the room note which is surprising as she despises it when I smoke Three Friars. I think Ol' Russ was having a good day when he came up with this one. :)

AJ

In a way, Classic Burley Kake is like Night Train to me. Both kind of forgotten treasures, lost to wave after wave of new and improved blends. It's very friendly in all regards and the brown sugar sweetness just seems right with the Burley. I agree with your assessment - for my dime, except perhaps for Storm Front, this is my favorite Burley blend.

I find the only problem is that I don't have more!  lol

Thanks for sharing your impressions, BH. I so happen to have a 8oz tin in my cellar. I believe these Sutliff tins are good only for up to 3 years, yes?

Fr_Tom":ut7in6ci said:
You convinced me to get into some CBK that has been languishing. It is just remarkably good.
Arrrggghhh...I already have 4 tins opened and just want to grab that tin of Burly Classic Kake, right now... and crack it open!:lol!:

The anise and other flavors are very very muted. It basically comes off as a sweetened slightly Choco Burley. They classify this as an aromatic I know, but to me it's almost like either the Brit take on aro...which in some cases can be very, very subtle...or it's what I call a semi-aromatic...in which the flavors/scents enhance the tobaccos character instead of sitting on top and masking it like chocolate frosting on yellow cake...or better yet German chocolate cake. Yikes. I think I just came up with the perfect analogy for aromatics!  lol 

Don't know a thing about Sutliff tin aging...I buy in bulk and it goes in Mason jars.

Lord Guyrox":2a2ts37h said:
Thanks for sharing your impressions, BH. I so happen to have a 8oz tin in my cellar. I believe these Sutliff tins are good only for up to 3 years, yes?
Interesting about the three years thing, I hadn't heard this. I would assume since they are in the pop tins ( or were years ago when I tried some) that under right temps and storage conditions they would last as long as glpease or other pop tops.

Isn't cbk made by hearth and home, not Sutcliffe? I could very well be missing something. :D

Lord Guyrox":wqjk4359 said:
Not so. I've opened five year old tins where the tobacco was as fresh and moist as a new production. They should hold up for years.

Blackhorse":3966dymd said:
The anise and other flavors are very very muted. It basically comes off as a sweetened slightly Choco Burley.
This is a good description. I like the "semi-aromatic" too and think that identifies the class nicely. It is not really an aromatic, but it has some topping you can identify.

So this blend sounds like a good one to add to the rotation.

Checking Tobacco reviews it seems the earliest one was around 2009. Does that sound right? So is this one another soon to be extinct blend?? :cry: :cry:

Yes sir, CBK is some gooooooooood stuff.

Actually, I really like quite a few of the H&H blends. I know they might not always get a ton of attention (and their availability might be problematic for those who have had bad experiences with P&C), but some of their non-aromatics are really top notch (Louisiana Red is one of my very favorite VaPers).

Guyrox, M'Lord...

If you find yourself disappointed with the Kake, do let me know. 

_________

Doing a one-two thing this morning with Storm Front and Classic Burley Kake.

Using the right tool for the job.

pm-pmmgd-spl-str.png" style="width: 200px;height: 200px

Storm Front: Cigar notes right up front upon lighting. Expected as this is two Burleys plus Cigar Leaf. Easy light. Very manly tobacco character... excellent. No added flavors or scenting. As straight a smoke as can be found in my book. This has a natural sweetness as opposed to an added sweetness. A masterpiece. Makes no apologies, takes no prisoners. No ashy Burley notes. Billows of thick satisfying smoke. This and a cob are a match made in heaven. Hard to set down.

Classic Burley Kake: Filled a second identical cob. Immediate clouds of heavy smoke...very easy lighting. Comprised of Tennessee and Kentucky Burleys, ranging from lighter White to darker Mahogany, and a bit of Matured Red Virginia. So... much sweeter in character and slightly lighter character than SF. Kind of a light Cocoa Honey Graham flavor to me...classic Burley treatment...with very slight figgy ghost. They admit to Rum & Cocoa being in there.  Slow side streaming brings out the cocoa flavors. And they say this has Anise in it...maybe...but the Rum and Anise are way back there sneaking around, not wanting to be seen. Both are lurkers for me. This blend shines with a slow to moderate cadence whereas Storm Front tolerates my overly eager puffing with more forgiveness. But this in no way diminishes the experience. Absolutely excellent in every regard. A very different animal than the basso Burleys and Cigar notes of Storm Front...lighter, sweeter, more fragile by a hair with a slightly hotter burn.

Someone wanted my take on the difference between these two. So there ya go.

idbowman":4vlly4g4 said:
Yes sir, CBK is some gooooooooood stuff.  

Actually, I really like quite a few of the H&H blends.  I know they might not always get a ton of attention (and their availability might be problematic for those who have had bad experiences with P&C), but some of their non-aromatics are really top notch (Louisiana Red is one of my very favorite VaPers).
I agree with your comments completely. I'd throw in Rolando's Own as an under rated blend as well.

JimInks":fkihc9ml said:
Lord Guyrox":fkihc9ml said:
Not so. I've opened five year old tins where the tobacco was as fresh and moist as a new production. They should hold up for years.
@Jim: thanks for the info, mate. I had read that the Sutliff tins were wrapped in carboard or something of the like rather than metal like the C & D and GL Pease...

@BH: Will do, sir, but I have this warm, fuzzy feeling that I will like it. ;)