Heaven on Earth turned into Smothered Kentucky Pound Cake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Here’s a great simple recipe that’s really good. I used a 9x13 glass baking thing and the existing amounts didn’t nearly cover the real estate. It works for a 9x9 but needs to be nearly doubled for a 9x13.

I “altered” the Heaven on Earth recipe by pouring a goodly shot of rum into the glass pan before adding the squares of pound cake. They soak it up. Yeah, I used bakery pound cake instead of angel food cake. Then the cherry stuff...then more pound cake. On top of that is the pudding mix (I used sugar free, fat free Cheescake pudding instead of vanilla...it’s SO much better) sour cream & milk blend (to which I added a shot of Kentucky Bourbon...woohoo). Then Cool Whip goes on top with more cherry stuff. The standard recipe is great, but the blog I found this on had a bunch of upgrade suggestions...so I got festive. I turned it into “Smothered Kentucky Cherry Pound Cake”.

Heaven on Earth Cake
Prep Time
20 mins
Total Time
5 hrs 20 mins

Heaven on Earth Cake with delicious layers of angel cake, sour cream pudding, cherry pie filling, whipped topping, and almonds. Creamy and decadent, this cherry trifle is a sure crowd pleaser!

Course: Dessert
Cuisine: American
Keyword: cherry trifle
Servings: 9
Calories: 331 kcal
Author: Lalaine
Ingredients
1 box Angel food cake or 1 prepared Angel Food Cake (or a pound cake)
1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding (or Cheesecake flavor)
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sour cream
1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
1 tub (8 ounces) Cool Whip
1 tablespoon almond slivers, toasted
Instructions

Bake angel food cake according to package's directions. Allow to cool and cut into cubes (largish)
In a bowl, combine pudding mix, milk, and sour cream and beat until smooth. Set aside.
In a 9x9 or 9x13 baking dish, arrange 1/2 of cake cubes in a layer.
Spoon 2/3 of cherry pie filling over cake.
Place the remaining 1/2 of the cake on top of pie filling.
Spoon pudding over cake and spread evenly.
Spoon and spread whipped topping over pudding layer.
Garnish cake with the remaining pie filling and toasted almonds. Chill for about 4 to 5 hours. (I would absolutely wait on putting the almond slivers on til just before serving or they won’t be crispy crunchy.