Hello from Afghanistan...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewSmoke

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I wanted to introduce myself and say what a privilege it is to be a part of this fine forum. I have been looking at the pages and topics for quite some time now and figured it was time to become an active part of the community. I have smoked a pipe from time to time, but never realized how in-depth this activity could get (I only knew that it smelled and tasted so much better than the Marlboros that I used to smoke). Now I'm deployed (AFG) and a lot of the fellas that I hang out with smoke cigars every night. I've never been a fan of cigars, but I do miss the sweet aroma and taste of some choice tobacco through a nice briar. So, that's what brought me here. I want to use my time here to really break in a new pipe and find my own favorite blends and smoking techniques. So far this forum has been VERY informative. As a result, I am looking to buy a Peterson in the next day or two from Cup O Joes....the only thing I'm waiting on is I'm not sure what tobacco to get. It's takes mail about a week (best case) to get here and I don't want to be stuck with a blend that I don't like due to my lack of experience. I'd love to find something smooth, mild and slightly aromatic that I can smoke in the evenings.

Any suggestions would be great!! Thanks in advance, take care....Eric.

Welcome to the forum...nice choice of pipe for sure....I have a Peterson Kinsale XL23 that I love. As for tobacco's, boy there's just too many blends out there.

Thanks for the quick reply and advice fellas.

hobie1dog- The Peterson caught my eye for sure and by all accounts a pretty solid first pipe. I just hope that I break it in properly so I can enjoy it for many years like a lot of other folks on BoB.

MisterE- As far as the tobacco goes, I had NO IDEA there were so many choices. Many years ago, I would buy the big clear bag of Cherry or Vanilla Cavendish from the Post Exchange. I will definitely use those links that you sent and take a look.

Thanks!!

Welcome to the Brotherhood. Stop back often...and stay safe. Thank you for your service to us.

Hello Eric, glad you decided to hang up your "lurking" hat up and join us for some great pipe and tobacco chat. I myself love Peterson pipes, I think its one of the best pipes you can get for the money. I will also agree with misterE about Dans Blue note, I would also like to add Petersons Sunset Breeze to the list.

Hope to chat with you soon Eric....thanks for everything you are doing for our Country :cheers:

Most of the stuff the exchange carries isn't worth smoking (my opinion only) but when I found myself without Captian Black was quite enjoyable... I actually grew to like it... next time you hit an airport hit duty free.. they normally carry a decent supply of W.O. Larson and MacBaren.. I plan on picking up a tin of MacBaren Navy Flake myself tomorrow..

I'd bring you some, but I'll be just a few hundred miles from you and a little pond named after the color red prohibits me from driving.

Enjoy and Stay safe

James

Hello and Welcome, I hope you like enjoy on here. I would agree about the MacBaren, I'm relatively new to the pipe but I've been enjoying their Virginia No.1, Its quite mild and pleasantly aromatic without being overpowering. Keep your head down and your arse down lower and come home safe fella.

Nick

Welcome to the fold and thanks for your service.
You might want to peruse the Hearth and Hime blends offered by www.pipesandcigars.com. They are very fine and very reasonable, price-wise.
I have enjoyed Butternut Burley and Trout Stream as well as their Virginia blends.
They offer the tobacco in bulk, tins and as samplers. I recommend the samplers to new smokers, it allows you to try 4 or 5 blends for about $25 and I think you get about 2 oz. of each.

Good to meet you Eric: Hope you stay safe and are surrounded with buddies. I have a Peterson Kinsale XL20 P-Lip and I like it alot. I hope you have the necessary cleaning supplies and have ordered some rubber bit cushions that you may find comfortable if you plan on clenching your pipe. You will also need a pipe nail or a pipe tool, a wind screen, and a BIC butane lighter. BIC's work well are cheap, and last a long time. A good blend that you can smoke several times a day and not tire of is Balkan Sasieni. It is packaged in a sturdy tin, it is always available, and it is a very flavorful smoke. Stay tight with us man and welcome to our brotherhood!

Welcome, Eric! I also echo the thanks of others.

RE: what tobacco to start with, I suggest you find someplace that send one once size and order a few different tobaccos and see which type of you like. I haven't ordered from smokingpipes.com but their bulks seem to come in 1 oz samples. Others can comment on if this would be a good source, or suggest others

"T"

Hello and welcome Eric! Thanks for your service...Cup O' Joes is a great bunch of folks to do business with...as for toby, you might try some Lane 1Q which is a vanilla aromatic, found that one to be very good. If you want something without an actual added flavoring, try Frog Morton On The Town. As a newb, I can attest to it being mild and tasty...

Stay safe!

shootist51":fcztps7x said:
Welcome to the fold and thanks for your service.
You might want to peruse the Hearth and Hime blends offered by www.pipesandcigars.com. They are very fine and very reasonable, price-wise.
I have enjoyed Butternut Burley and Trout Stream as well as their Virginia blends.
They offer the tobacco in bulk, tins and as samplers. I recommend the samplers to new smokers, it allows you to try 4 or 5 blends for about $25 and I think you get about 2 oz. of each.
I will second this recommendation. I too enjoy Hearth and Home blends especially the Louisiana Red which is very mild and wonderful to enjoy all day. Their samplers page is here: http://pipesandcigars.com/samplers.html

One more recommendation from my end is if you are going to take up the hobby for sure to get a second pipe as ideally you would want to give rest to the pipe you smoke for the day. A brand that I have had a lot of success with is Stanwell, they are well made, relatively inexpensive and all of them (4 of them) wonderful smokers. This is the only brand that I have experienced such consistency so I think they are a safe bet. Also plenty of pipe cleaners and your favorite spirit for the occasional deep clean!

Welcome, enjoy and stay safe!!!

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for the overwhelming welcome, quality advice and tips. I like it here already, ask a question, get an answer. I have a long list of great tobaccos to try. I am going to pick up a couple of tins that were mentioned multiple times and maybe some samplers. As they come in, I will keep you all updated. I'm going to drop my order today, hopefully by mid-month I'll be enjoying a cool smoke with the fellas out here. Thanks again for all the help. I guess from now on, I should venture into the forum and find the appropriate topics for my thoughts and interests. See you all there!

I took into consideration a lot of your suggestions and grabbed a few items from Cup O Joes. I wanted to order everything from one place this time and will look into the other online retailers suggested for my future purchases. I think I got a pretty solid setup, though I will need to order another pipe...maybe a few weeks down the road. Here's what I got coming to me.

Products Ordered:
---------------------------
Name: Pipe Nail
Name: Tapered Pipe Cleaners 6.5 inch Standard 100 per pack
Name: Hearth & Home Louisiana Red Pipe Tobacco 1.5oz Tin
Name: Dan Tobacco Blue Note 50g Tin
Name: Peterson Kinsale Smooth #XL16

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and well wishes. I will update you all when my package arrives, I can't wait!!

Nice choices bud, you are really going to enjoy Dans Blue Note...one of my top 3 aromatics.