Hello from Afghanistan.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pullmyfinger

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been browsing the site for a week or so reading about tobacco and various pipes, it has been quite educational.
In a few days I'll be placing an order for a couple of pipes and 4 or 5 tins of tobacco. I'll probably order from pipesandcicars.com since they ship to APO/FPO boxes.

I'm planning to order a couple of cob pipes and probably a Peterson system pipe or a Savinelli. The threads I've read so far about the best pipes for less than $100 were a good read for a newbie like me.

As for tobacco choices, I'm still undecided but the thread about which tobacco brands were standards or touchstones was very helpful.

I am leaning toward these to start. I have to start somewhere.

English.............................Dunhill#965
English/Latakia.................Odyssey (Penzance is sold out)
Oriental/Turkish................Nightcap
Oriental Flake...................Star of the East
Virginia............................Since Samuel Gawith Full VA Flake is sold out, any suggestions?
Virginia/Perique................Escudo

I'll probably try some Burley blends at some other time. 6 tins is probably too much to start out with.

I have smoked a pipe before, I had a cob pipe and a Grabow but I wasn't seriously into it at the time. I have only tried some over the counter blends and some local shop aromatic blends. I didn't care for the aromatic blends too much.

I realize the Peterson system might be too much of a pipe to start out with, but I have my mind on picking one nice pipe to go along with the cobs. It'll eventually be "The pipe I had while in Afghanistan" so I'd like to start with something cool.

Thanks for the great site. I have learned a lot so far.

I am confused about the which pipe/which tobacco questions. Does it really matter? Am I going to mess up the taste of my pipes if I mix up different tobaccos in them?

Other than giving consideration to a hotter burning tobacco needing a different type of pipe than a cooler burning tobacco I am confused about this......I guess I'm confused about that aspect as well. :)

Take care,
Mitch

Welcome!

Pipesandcigars.com ships to APO/FPO with free shipping. Averages about 5-6 days to get packages from them in east Afg

Don't stress about the tobacco/pipe combo. Its all a matter of taste, which is subjective anyway. Cobs are a little more user friendly, so makes a good place to start without the distractions that being new to briar can bring.

One of my first pipes was a very old peterson estate pipe. Smokes like a charm. I think smoking something you like is more important than smoking what someone else likes. If peterson system pipes are what takes your fancy, pick up a nice estate one off ebay for about 45 bucks & see how it treats you.

pullmyfinger":0n0f23iv said:
I am confused about the which pipe/which tobacco questions. Does it really matter? Am I going to mess up the taste of my pipes if I mix up different tobaccos in them?
Welcome!
And others may disagree, but I don't think you're going to "mess" up any of your pipes by experimenting with different blends. There may be a slight residual ghost of a previous flavor, but it will disappear, (Although a heavily "floral" Lakeland blend like something from Gawith Hogarth may linger longer than desired).

What, you can't get down to the Afghani Tobacco Emporium and get some good matured Virginia? Geez, that country's gone to hell lately! :lol: That used to be THE store to go to...

...kidding aside, welcome, and don't sweat the small stuff. You already have a good leg-up on what you like!

Cobs are cheap, reliable workhorses. If you don't like a filtered smoke, though, they often are made to accept a filter, but I get around this by using a half of a pipecleaner, then folding that half...in half--and putting it in place of where the filter should go. That tightens up the draw a little and prevents embers from ruining your relaxation time. :lol: That was a BoB suggestion, and it works so well, figured I'd pass it on.

You aren't going to necessarily "ruin" your pipes by switching off tobaccos, however, it's usually a good idea to have pipes to rotate, and/or to use exclusively with more specific (pungent/aromatic) tobaccos so they won't "ghost" flavor (as Harlock mentioned) any new tobacco you decide to switch over to. Not to mention, if you *do* switch, it just takes a few bowls to clean out the flavor to the new one. Some pipes take on flavor more than others, I find cobs are extremely resilient in that regard, as are tight-grained briar pipes (like my Danish freehands). Another key I have found is not smoking the same pipe two days in a row, kind of "super saturates" whatever you are smoking into the wood, and pipes really like a good rest anyway for longevity and performance over time.

Overall, if you're going to ruin a pipe, it's more likely you'll do it by accidentally dropping it, twisting the stem/shank apart and cracking either, or burning the top rim by bad lighters/lighting in the wind, especially in the beginning.

Something like a Missouri Meerschaum cob, Viking Classic, lower-end Ascorti or Jilsa might be worthwhile for you to check into, if not some estate (used) briar! We'll help you get set up. :)

Welcome!

Harlock999":6f1ybuct said:
pullmyfinger":6f1ybuct said:
Welcome!
And others may disagree, but I don't think you're going to "mess" up any of your pipes by experimenting with different blends. There may be a slight residual ghost of a previous flavor, but it will disappear, (Although a heavily "floral" Lakeland blend like something from Gawith Hogarth may linger longer than desired).
This. But I will add that many people talk about "ghosts" as if they are PERMANENT. That is not the case. Even the horribly "ghosted" estates I've owned were no match for bowl after bowl of luxury Bullseye flake... Point is, if you smoke something that ghosts, just keep smoking another blend you like until the ghost is gone (or becomes a more desireable ghost, rather)

And welcome to the forum! :cheers:

s.ireland":grobng3x said:
This. But I will add that many people talk about "ghosts" as if they are PERMANENT. That is not the case. Even the horribly "ghosted" estates I've owned were no match for bowl after bowl of luxury Bullseye flake... Point is, if you smoke something that ghosts, just keep smoking another blend you like until the ghost is gone (or becomes a more desireable ghost, rather)

And welcome to the forum! :cheers:
Agreed! :D

Welcome to BoB! Best of luck finding blends you enjoy, hope you find many

"T"

Welcome.
Don't get wrapped around the axle over the myrid of possibilities associated with pipe smoking.
Cob, you got it...and make sure you order extra filters, unless they have quit having sand / dust in Afghanistan. The really cool Peterson system will serve the purpose, very well, for what you want.

Keep your tobacco in an ammo can.

Keep it simple. Nothing's more laughable than a pretentious pipe smoker.

Hey Mitch..welcome to BoB and good luck getting in to pipe smoking. It's a fun hobby that will take time(and money) but you'll love it!

Thanks for the warm welcome gentlemen,

I appreciate the recommendations and advice, I'll get an ammo can in the next day or two.
It seems I was overly concerned about amoking different tobaccos in the same pipe, Thanks for clearing that up.

All that's left is place my order, wait, and enjoy.

Thanks,
Mitch

Ammo can is a good idea. Lots of room in a 5.56 can.

Personally, I prefer pelican cases, as they help retain the moisture inherent in the tobacco. The following NSN is for a pelican case that can easily hold between 6 & 8 ounces of tobacco. I have 3 of them, 1 for aromatics, 1 for non-aro, & 1 for anything with latakia. Its CL IX.

6760-01-491-2002 Case, Pelican 1200
6760-01-458-1152 Case, Pelican 1300

Welcome Aboard! I wouldn't worry about ghosts, your'e not smoking any aromatics. For a starter Virginia, I would suggest Orlik's Golden Sliced. It's very reasonably priced.

Thank you Sailor Jack,

I'll just smoke, learn the many aspects of enjoying the pipe and not worry about it for now.

Maybe I'll try an aromatic later on and dedicate a pipe to that type of blend.

Take care,

Mitch

Mitch, if you can, post some pictures of you abroad with your pipe! That'd be cool! 8)

Hi Kyle,

That's a good idea. I'll do that as soon as I get my pipes and tobacco.

I just placed my order today. I did make some changes to my original shopping list, I wanted to (translation: I had to.) stay under $150.

I ordered two pipes, both of them are Peterson Classic Rustic Kapet.

One is a bent billiard, style #221
(Sorry I can't post external links for 7 days.)

The other is a straight billiard, style #6
(No external links for me yet, I'm too new here.)

For tobacco I decided to get the Hearth and Home sampler, I chose the following:
Tobacco 1 = Daybreak
Tobacco 2 = Admiralty
Tobacco 3 = Ambassador's Blend
Tobacco 4 = Classic Burley Kake
Tobacco 5 = Larry's Blend
Tobacco 6 = Sunjammer

I added a 2 oz. tin of G.L. Pease Odyssey, and a couple of packs of pipe cleaners.
Considering that pipes and cigars.com has free shipping......thanks for the suggestion.
I managed to keep my order total to $150.66.

I eagerly await my "relaxation in a box" to arrive. :)

Take care, and thanks again for the welcome greetings, suggestions, and advice.
Mitch