hello from Arizona

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger107

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys. Was looking for a pipe forum and found this. Hope it is as good as the one I was on back in 2001 which shut down. Brief history: started smoking pipes back in college, 70 to 73. Favorite smoke was Balkan Sobranie, with forays into other blends, primarily McBarens, Rattrays, etc. Also some drug store blends, particularly liked the original London Dock. Dropped pipes sometime in the late 80's. Smoked cigars in the 90's as that was the thing. Took up the pipe again in 2001 when I moved to Little Rock and found a cool pipe/cigar store there down by the university. Smoked a lot of McClelland blends, Frog Morton, Dark Star, St. James, etc. Too bad they went out of business or I would still be smoking them.  

Dropped pipes again when I moved back to CA. Sold most of my pipes (40+) to a dealer in 2015. Thought I would never smoke pipes again. Moved to Prescott in 2016, and took up the pipe again (had saved 3 from my collection). Since then have been experimenting, trying to find a replacement for my beloved BS. The Frog Morton series was close, and very enjoyable. But, unfortunately they went bye bye. So, have been experimenting with new stuff currently available. That's where you folks come in. Hoping your experience will guide me toward my new favorites. Don't trust the reviews I find at the pipe stores, like Pipes and Cigars, Tobacco Pipes, etc. How anyone can say that Lanes 1Q is top of their list is just unbelievable to me. I find it extremely bland, and boring. Also the other Lane blends like BCA, MV1000, etc. Really like the Stokkeby and some of the Sutliff blends. Have ordered some C&D Epiphany, but haven't opened it yet.

So, here I am, a sponge for your wisdom and experience. Feel free to offer advice, suggestions, criticisms, whatever. I'm all ears. Thanks for the input.

Welcome to BoB! I hope you enjoy your time here; hopefully the Latakia-fans will have some advice

Welcome Ranger. I'm sure you'll find the answers to your questions!

Forty plus pipes? I can't imagine having such a large collection. I have two!

Welcome to the forum. I've found it very helpful and welcoming, and I'm sure you will too.

Penguin":mpcjyn7n said:

Welcome to the forum. I've found it very helpful and welcoming, and I'm sure you will too.
they tend to accumulate :D

DrT999":c59lhkut said:
Penguin":c59lhkut said:

they tend to accumulate :D
PAD, a terrible affliction with no known cure. Like a siren calling...

Welcome Ranger, hope you have fun here. As for baccy suggestions, give Arango Balkan Supreme a try, delicious stuff and even better, it is sold in bulk at a very fair price.

Cheers

Tim