Hello from California

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardbopp

Reaction score
Greetings!

Who: My name is Edward. I am an artist and museum professional that lives and works in Southern California.

What: I generally smoke aromatics but recently I have been branching out a bit into non-cavendish blends here and there. My search for the perfect tobacco is, as I am sure the same for all of us, a work in progress.

When: I've been smoking pipes for just about 3 years now on and off. I call myself a seasonal smoker in the sense that I typically smoke throughout the colder months of the year Sept - March. I never really set out to smoke around a schedule but it just kind of happens that way. I find that I just appreciate the flavors, smells and ritual just a bit more when things cool down and the holidays are coming and going.

Where: As an artist and all around tinkerer, I find myself in the garage/studio quite abit. Usually anytime I'm working or "working" in there I have a pipe somewhere smoldering nearby. I also enjoy a nice outdoor smoke from time either on a lunch break or a trip to the park.

Why: I enjoy the ritual and wholesome satisfaction of pipe smoking. The richness of history, the scents, the flavors, the relaxation and the overall experience. My introduction into pipe smoking began with my great-grandfather. It always seemed like he was either on his way outside or on his way back in from a smoke. I remember the flickering light on his face as he was concentrating on lighting the bowl just right. The sweet smell of the smoke and peace he exuded as he gently puffed away are particularly memorable. Years later as an adult I was reintroduced to the hobby by way of going out and buying my brother a lovely Peterson for Christmas. While there, I dropped a hint to my wife about a basket pipe that caught my eye and sure enough Christmas morning the house was filled with smoke.

How: I have few pipes that I rotate regularly depending on occasion or tobacco. I have two billards; one a smooth finish, flame grain Stanwell Unique A model and the other an Italian basket pipe (of prior mention). I also have two meerschaum, both half-bent billiards. One an SMS with smooth finish and the other is an heirloom pipe (my great-granfathers) which is a Ben Sim pipe carved as a dog with a duck in its mouth. Lastly I have two cobs; one partial bend Washington Missouri Meerchaum and one estate (1930's-1940's) straight poker Irwin S. Cobb edition by H&B.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to learning and burning with all of you!

Welcome to the BoB Edward. Always nice to see another California piper joining the forum.

Hey Edward, welcome to the brotherhood. Nice introduction :)

Welcome! Love the intro; it was a very fun read. :lol: Can’t wait to read more of your posts here on the BoB!

Thanks for the warm welcome gentlemen! I think forums like this are invaluable. With tobacco pipe smoking at record lows these days, young fellows like myself need a place like this to bounce ideas around and chat with others who have a bit more experience. Years ago we could compare notes with uncles, fathers and granfathers but for many of us those options are unavailable. Thanks again for the welcome!

Welcome!

So, you got the, who, what, when, where, how, and why...but you forgot the ever illusive "to what extent". :D It's like A,E,I,O,U....and sometimes "Y". Sorry...my wife majored in English in college and these stinking rules surface in m brain sometimes.

Joking aside, welcome. I look forward to seeing your posts.

Brian.