Hello from Colorado

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4351

Reaction score
Hello there, all. I'm Rob, or Mr. Penguin, if you prefer. As an aspiring novelist in one of my more pompous moments, I bought the cheapest pipe I liked at the local tobacco shop. It was a $20 pipe with a dark red bowl and black stem, and it sat unused on the shelf through my late twenties.

I've recently quit cigarettes, and found the pipe helpful, even if it is "cheating," in a way. To that end, I've endeavored to find out more about smoking a pipe, and have spent a fair amount of time learning about cleaning and cake and dottle and bubbling and...you get the idea. At any rate, I came across this forum in researching what dottle is supposed to look like, and decided to poke my head in and see what's what.

As for what type of pipe I have, it's very much the shape of the ones in the logo for this forum, but for the life of me I can't remember the brand or what the style was called. If my phone could do it, I'd take pictures, but alas, no such luck. I keep my phone as stupid as possible on principle, since I don't have an extra $800 laying around for one of those cyborgs that'll kill us all when it becomes self-aware. Please note my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.

Outside of smoking a pipe, I enjoy reading (mostly science fiction, urban fantasy, and some classics), writing, gaming, drinking (cocktails, mostly), music, movies, and other artistic expressions. I also occasionally delude myself into believing I can cook, and have accidentally made a dish or two I haven't actively hated.

Welcome! I too picked up the pipe at a friends direction and it's been the only thing that's kept me off cigarettes. I'm at a year free and it's been great. Also, I don't get nic cravings any more, though I do still like the buzz I get from pipe tobacco. This place is full of great people with a wealth of knowledge.

Good to have you along Mr P, I very much enjoyed reading your intro.

You've stumbled across a great place to learn more about the ways of the briar (other materials available), so grab yourself a bunk and make yourself comfortable. Drinks in the Mess at 1900.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I enjoy reading the offerings here on the forum, and appreciate the general demeanor of those here. Forums have been, in my experience, a crapshoot; one may be a reasonable and fun place to be, while others are fraught with strife. I'm glad to see the people here are generally relaxed and helpful, as one might expect at a smoking club.