Hello from Eastern PA

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelM

Reaction score
Hello All,
My name is Mike and I am from Eastern PA about an hour north of Philadelphia. After following the forum for a few days I though that it looked like a fun place to share my appreciation of pipe smoking and learn more about the hobby, so I decided to jump in.
I've been smokig pipes off and on since the mid 1980s. Over the past 5 years or so I put my pipes aside and got heavily into cigars, but recently found myself getting a bit bored with them and the call of the pipe was too strong to resist. I still smoke both, but the pipe has once again become my primary choice for a relaxing smoke.
My pipe collection is a motley mix, mostly acquired when I was a starving graduate student. Nothing to brag about, but they bring me joy. My favorite is a natural Irish second I picked up at a Tinderbox around 1990. I have not bought a pipe in a looong time, but I'm planning on attending the NY show this year, so I hope to break that streak soon.
On tobacco, I've always been a fan of english blends, with Lane's #10 Downing street being my first regular blend. I've recently found that I enjoy some aromatics smoked slowly in a cob. It makes a nice change of pace.
Along with pipe smoking, I am an avid fly tyer and fly fisherman, and a woodworker. And while I have not yet taken the plunge, I am thinkiing about trying to carve a pipe some time soon.
Thanks for reading my introduction, and I will be looking forward to chatting with you on the forum.
Mike.

Welcome! If you are interested, the Phillly Pipe club meets monthly in downtown Philly. They are a great bunch of guys (and ladies). A few dedicated fly-flingers are also members, so you'll fit right in. I live in MD, but work on the the PA Turnpike and attend several meetings a year.

Welcome MichaelM.  

You'll find alot that interests you in these threads.  Lots of common hobbies amongst the members.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

Welcome to BoB ...

You live quite near a number of friends of mine and more than a few BoB members who I've come to know well enough that I regard them as friends ... those guys have a regular get-together going on in Bethlehem that if I lived where you do, I'd be going to every month ...

Welcome, Mike.
You came to the right place.
The best of the best pipers are here.
A friendly helpful bunch.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I feel at home already :D 
Mike.

Yo Mike - coming late to this intro thread, but welcome anyway. I'm an avid fly guy (can you tell from my handle?) and also attend the Christopher Morley's and Lehigh Valley (Bethlehem) Pipe Clubs every month. You ought to take the time to attend - both have members from your area, such as Quakertown and Plumsteadville.

Morley's is next Thursday the 11th (a bit early this month due to holidays) and LVPC is Monday the 22nd. If you would like more info, check CMPC's Facebook. Feel free to EMail me on AOL.

hp
les

Wow, I forgot I even wrote this until I got an email that there was a new reply today.
Les, we might actually be on a few of the same fishing forums. I've had several invites to the CMPC and I will be making an effort to get there this month.
And thanks Rob and everyone else. I feel adequately welcomed :lol!:

Some forum and Facebook guys are meeting at Boswells this Saturday, 12/6 around 9 AM. Join in if you are in the area.