Hello from Ga.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KX3

Reaction score
Been lurking for a while and thought I would finally post! Been a pipe smoker about 50 years and enjoy home blending . Probably have more cellared than I will ever smoke . I am sure I am not the only one here with that situation!
Alan

Welcome Alan. Thanks for finally deciding to post.

Alan, welcome from the high desert on the other side of the world. What part of GA? I have relatives in both Brunswick and Savanna area. Worked at ATL for a while back in the early 80s. Still remember eating catfish at a place called Johnny Rebs. I'm guessing that's not around any more, lol.

Tnx so very much for the kind words . As I mentioned, I have been enjoying reading all the great info on the site, but finally took the plunge. What I really enjoy is the various topics other than pipes, etc. I noticed the topic about coffee and brewing which I plan to address because I have been home roasting for over 20 years and have tried every pour over method which I noticed in someone's post.
Ranger, I am in the north Ga mtns. which is wonderful.
More later on coffee and home blending which I will post under the proper forums!
I have been reading various pipe forums since they became available online, but have never posted to one.
Tnx for a great resource!

Welcome Allen I’m guessing from your handle KX3 you're a Elecraft fan and ham operator.

K9ZM, but then I already told Alan that in email I think.

For some reason the system thought one of your (KX3) posts was spam. Usually on a new user it's the posting of a link that gets it snagged. I told the system it was fine and everything looks happy again.

KX3, interesting. My former Ranger captain was an Army MP. Every year his old unit gets together for a reunion. This year it was in Helen Ga. When I worked at ATL I used to go to Dahlonega quite often. Wonderful little towns.

Hi Alan, tell us about your blends!
Finally getting around to posting about my home blending. I , like most, have had some pretty poor results and have learned much about blending , but still have a way to go!
But, it's a lot of fun and I have a few blends that I really enjoy and I continue to tweak them. However, I would still rate myself as a pretty poor blender!
I love pure Virginia's but I guess in my old age my sinuses have changed and they have started to bother them. Have also enjoyed English blends for years, but I have a small cabin and the Latakia tends to stink it up some. I have tons of Virginia and English blends cellared with age that I plan to sell soon!
So, I have pretty much gone to Burley blends which I have smoked some all along and that's what I am blending. I , like many on here, am a fan of Bob Runowski blends, Solani , Mac Baren Burley Flake and Mac B. Old Dark Fired.
Here is a recipe for what I think is close to Pegasus:
6 grams C&D ribbon cut burley
6 grams C&D white burley
10.5 gram Mac B Va # 1- lowers the nic -if you want more nic, then try other Va's.
2.0 grams C&D dark fired
This makes almost enough to fill a 8 oz. Mason jar.
I am a big fan of dark fired and have had pretty good luck doing dark fired blends.
Thanks so much to all of you for a great forum!
Alan

The Burley's hit my sinuses the way Virginia hits yours! Sounds like you've enjoyed the experimentation, every time I think about and do a little research on blending I get overwhelmed and end up with components I don't care for.

Howdy and a big western welcome KX3. My home blends from an overstocked cellar may seem unsuitable since I start with Virginias or an English mixture and add Perique, and then add more Perique.