Hello from Greenville, SC. New to forum, but not pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason1977

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm Jason, & have been smoking pipes for about 8 years now. I'm not a pipe collector by any stretch, I have only 6 pipes, & 2 of them are corn cobs. I have GREAT relationships with my pipes & they are nice & tastey! I still have my 1st pipe which is a parker Rhodesian rustic job I found in a wicker basket full of pipes marked for anywhere between $15 - $30. This is a good knock around I keep handy. I've also got a CAO meerschaum, it's a very ornate beauty & I'm still woking on aging it. I have a Chacom Mozart 260 that has 3 cracks, small ones, juuuuuust above the draft hole, SO, I am still smoking it in the hopes that a cake will form & kinda seal it. I've also mudded it, so we'll see. Finally I have a Bjarne smooth briar rhodesian. I like this one, she's my flake pipe.

On the market or a Peterson Plato series pipe. A bent one. I have one that I have made a down payment on & will pick it up in a week. I am also looking for another flake pipe, possibly either a thick walled billiard or a cone shaped job. We'll see. I have recently been turned on to flakes & have been astounded by the quality of the smoke. I've been mostly smoking G. L. Pease ANY BLEND, I could choose blindfolded & be happy with what I get. I love Virginias, Perique, Latakia, Burleys, Orientals, SLIGHT touch of cavendish, so yes. G. L. Pease is an OUTSTANDING blender if yer askin my opinion! =) I also enjoy 3 Oaks, & Mac Barens Latakia Blend. As far as the sweeter side, I don't do aromatics all that much, they dirty the pipe like cheap ammo dirties a firearm. BUT, if I had to choose what I call a "crowd pleaser" I'd say Stanwell's Melange would do just the trick w. a cotton candy / creme brulee room note. As far as my PERSONAL favorite type of sweet, I'd say a Luxury Navy Flake. I can smoke navy blends & english blends all day long. Navy & English is what I stick to really. I've smoked enough to pretty much narrow down my taste. I'm not really a pipe snob, whereas I don't really seek estate pipes or go crazy acquiring pipes for a collection. For me it's personal. I love my pipes & I rotate them out. Clean them w. rum if I want to change the flavor around & cook in a new flavor just to see how it smokes a different type of blend. THAT is where skill sets can be built.

As far as frequency of smoking, I smoke 2 pipes a day IF I am lucky. I dont want to smoke too much. I do it to relax. That's kinda why I laugh when people are like, "uh oh, I did this to the pipe & it did that, is that bad?" or "which is best for XYZ?" Well, that's kinda like asking "how many paces in a mile?" the answer is walk 1/10 of a mile & multiply your steps by 10 & there ya go. Each person is different & everyone develops their own tastes, BUT, if there's WORRY involved in smoking the pipe, then ya shouldn't be smoking a pipe, LOL! Advice for newbies & hot puffers would be avoid crap tobacco. If you want to learn to smoke a pipe, smoke GOOD tobacco. Good tobacco burns VERY well & kinda lets you know if you're doing something wrong. Also, buy a milkshake at mcdonalds or something. Drink it through a straw & NOTE how long it takes to get a mouthful. THAT is how you puff or "sip" from a pipe. outside of that, it just takes time. Your pipe should NOT be getting hot until you're getting towards the bottom of your smoke & yer hitting the wet stuff that gets intense late in bowl.

Anyhow, I'm here just to see what other people do & get ideas & see if there's anyone from my locale that I could bump into in my community. I'm mostly a morning & evening smoker. I enjoy my pipes w. a cup of chickory or robust coffee. I like to listen to Celtic & irish music when I smoke, sometimes jazz like Diana Krall. It's my Vitamin "N", happy mental place, ME time. I love my pipes. Love them. It's why I can't buy a gazillion of them. BUT, I confess to being a tobacco snob. I look at it like this. Jarred spaghetti sauce is tastey & can be good in a pinch. BUT, nothing beats my Sicilian Grandmother's home made sauce from scratch that takes 5 hours to make w. wine added to it. Makes ALL the difference in the world & the flavor alone commands savoring & not just pigging out. Anyhow, that's all for now. Can ya tell I enjoy it? I'd say if I was a collector, smoking a pipe would be more of a hobby. I don't see it as a hobby. Not for me anyway. Anyhow, take care & happy smoking! I'm going to make some lunch, brew a pot, & fill one! Take care!

Regards,

Jason

Well, Jason, with your enthusiasm, you're in the right place.

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum, Jason
Great intro, I really know what your tobacco and pipe rituals are all abut.
Doc

Ol'Dawg":x8lzggrg said:
Howdy and welcome to BoB!

Jim...an occasional visitor to Boda and Fitzpatricks.
Haven't been to Fitzpatrick's but I DO frequent BODA quite a bit, in fact, I'll be buying a Peterson "Plato" series pipe from them VERY shortly & I might just pick up a Savinelli Billiard for flake. I've got to refill my jar with Navy Flake anyway. I love Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake. SO, yes. I also like to go downtown occasionally & check out Leaf 'n Match on Main St.

When it comes to hanging around & enjoying my pipe in Boda, that greatly depends on how many cigars are lit there, LOL! If there's too much, it'll kinda interfere w. my "zen" of enjoying my pipe. It's to be expected, but if there's enough, I forego the pleasure & smoke at home. At the very least I'd try a sample from their jar or sample tins & grab a coffee. Boda is a good place. I recommend Roman's Blend if you enjoy a good english blend. It's $4.99 / oz. The luxury navy flake I like goes for $3.99 / oz. I like to take that home, and fill my jar, then I take a napkin, douse it w. Jamaican Rum & tape it to the underneath side of the jar lid & leave it for 24 hours. It's a plain enough flake w. simple virginias, flued virginias, burley & a touch of perique. Some barely notice the perique, others find it towards the bottom of the bowl, but I like to moisten it w. a touch of Jamaican rum & make her a true navy flake, lol.

If you have the time, I see many people ask what makes a true navy blend, given that there are so many ways it's made. Sailors were the ones that began the FLAKE movement. They'd go to sea & their ribbon cut tobacco would dry out & lose flavor in a matter of days. THey'd experiment & try to make better air tight containers, but the sealants they used overpowered their tobacco. What they did was boil a sugar water mixture into a brine, poured it into their tobacco & pressed it in canvas to flatten it & the sugar kept the tobacco moist longer. Tobacco makers caught on to the idea & machine pressed them & made a slight casing & there ya go. (I'm a squid, so I kinda learned that from a guy who was saltier than me who taught me how to smoke a pipe.)

Anyhow, I'm Jason & I'll be the guy with a boston red sox hat sittin at the coffee bar. I usually bring a pouch of something with me & I try something there & decide if I want to buy it. If I like it, I buy 2 of whatever I get. I open one & cellar the other as if it never existed. Maybe I'll see ya there sometime!

docwatson":kqdhtjz6 said:
Welcome to the forum, Jason
Great intro, I really know what your tobacco and pipe rituals are all abut.
Doc
It is a ritual! I have my favorite chair, it's a coleman chair w. 2 cup holders & I have a table next to me, lol. Matches go in one cup holder, 2 pipe cleaners go in the other along w. my tamper, ashtray is on the table, music is playin, I either have a cup of chickory coffee, or sweet tea, or Firefly Sweet tea vodka, MAYBE a 12 yr old jamaican rum on the rocks. THat's it. (In the winter I substitute the rum for Single-malt Highland Scotch whisky)

But yes. When I go for health check ups w. either a civilian doctor or a navy doctor, they ask me if I smoke, my response is, "I love smoking!" They look & they ask me how much I smoke & I say, "one or two pipes a day, depending on how heavy my day is." You know what they say, " Well, smoking isn't healthy whether you inhale or not" I always tell them, "well, if navy doctors tell me to drink red wine to keep blood pressure down, which is consumption of alcohol in moderation, then I think "Vitamin N" in moderation can keep my blood pressure down as well." The navy doctors laugh & say, you could be right, but I have to tell you that anyway & they move on, LOL!

jason1977":lm9tpb4u said:
Anyhow, I'm Jason & I'll be the guy with a boston red sox hat sittin at the coffee bar.
OK, I'll be on the look out the next time I'm there.

As for Celtic music, I'm a fan of live music...primarily pubs. Though Delaney's pub on Morgan Square in Spartanburg is a little too far for me to drive, Carroll Brown is playing there tomorrow and Friday night this week. Music starts both nights at 8:30pm and is highly recommended. His website-- http://www.carrollbrownmusic.com/

Jim

Welcome and say hello to my friend Angel M. who lives in greenville!

Welcome, Jason! Thanks for that great intro.

Kind regards
Thilo

Greetings.

Only been to Greenville once. It was for the National Gold Wing Road Riders Association national convention several years ago. We were there on the 4th of July, and went to the fireworks display in your river park. Beautiful place.