Hello from Kentucky

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveMKentucky

Reaction score
Hello all,

New member here. I've been a member on other forums for quite a few years but most of them are defunct. I guess I renewed my interest in 'tobacco trends' when I discovered that McClellan was no more. I've seen a few of my favorite brands go away over the years so it's not a new experience for me but still sad nonetheless. I am cracking open my last 8 ounces of Penzance this week, that being one of my favorites that died some years ago. I still have some of my other favorites cellared and will be working them down as well.

I've been smoking a pipe since 1976 (yes, I'm an older dude) and started with a board pipe from the Tinder Box. While on military assignment in Tampa I used to hang out at Edwards, sitting at the bar chatting with Manny, Patricia and the boys. I have no idea if the shop is still there but have fond memories.

Anyway, thanks for accepting my account. I'm looking forward to reading everyones thoughts and banter.

Cheers,

Steve

Welcome! I think you will like it here. Its a bunch of good guys.

I'm in Kentucky as well, in Louisville.

Welcome aboard friend!

That's a whole heap of piping experience you have there Steve. I was knee high to a grasshopper when you first picked up the briar! Looking forward to sharing a bowl or two.

Regards,

Stick.

Brewdude":sedc5mpu said:
Pleased to meetcha Steve. Pull up a chair, take your shoes off, set a spell, fire up a good bowl, and relax with the rest of us here on BoB.

Cheers,

RR
Gosh, that sounds inviting Rande! If it wasn't nearly midnight here and way past my scheduled beauty sleep I'd be tempted to fire one up!

Steve, glad to have you with us. If you're diligent about the online shops or have access to some local B&Ms you can still pick up Penzance. Its hard to come by but not impossible. I look forward to seeing you around.

Jim

Welcome Steve! You aren’t that old now! I was born and raised in Oldham Co until I boarded a Navy ship out of there. Great place for a boy to grow up. Last time I went home all the tobacco fields were gone and replaced with soy or corn. Enjoy this place and happy to have you on.

Welcome, Steve! Indeed, our world has changed, and not so much changed while you were on your hiatus.

sonarman":hm1y3pv5 said:
Welcome Steve! You aren’t that old now! I was born and raised in Oldham Co until I boarded a Navy ship out of there. Great place for a boy to grow up. Last time I went home all the tobacco fields were gone and replaced with soy or corn. Enjoy this place and happy to have you on.
Thanks for the reply. We still have some tobacco fields around. Not sure how the change occured but somehow the allotments ended up in the hands of a few. We have one lady here in my area who raises 300 acres. You're right though. Most of the old fileds are now corn or soy beans.

I raised tobacco before I left in 75. Bought my first car with a crop. I wrote a series of posts in another pipe forum six years ago or so on the process.

Welcome Steve, I'm from central Ky originally, my Dad and Grandfather had 1400 acres of tobacco back in the 60's.