Hello From Mississippi

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custodian613

Reaction score
Hello - - - I am a 72 year old retired USN who has just returned from smoking pipes for about 15 years. I served in the Navy from 1968 to 1992 and was a Hospital Corpsman. I served 23 of 24 years with the USMC. The Marines have no medical personnel and thus I was in the USN but served with the USMC.

My hobbies and interests include: reading science fiction/horror books and e-books, photography (retired professional), patio gardening, cats, classical music (have degree), cooking on holidays, been computing since 1986.

I've smoked pipes off and on since 1966. I smoked cigarettes from 1966 to 2004. I quit cigarette smoking on 09/12/2004 which was the day I had a CVA (stroke). I quit (cold turkey) and have never had a desire to ever smoke a cigarette again. I've only since then quite recently began to smoke a pipe again & am now allowed to drink small amounts of wine, subject to blood testing. My doctor grudgingly said it was ok to smoke a pipe. I've been with this same PCP (Primary Care Physician) for about 14 years.

Right now I am using 2 recently purchased corn cob pipes. For my first smoke I chose and old and locally available tobacco, Borkum Riff, original blend.  In years past I've smoked a variety of tobaccos but my all time favorite was Balkan Sobranie 759. I also smoked  Flying Dutchman, Sail, and other private label tobaccos from an Illinois based supplier.

My doctor has given me the ok to drink small amounts of wine occasionally. In years past I enjoyed having a glass of wine while smoking a pipe. To me certain types of wine was a good addition to my smoke. I prefer only a few types of wine, mainly: Tawny Port, Merlot, Mateus, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauterne and some types of Sherry. Before the stroke I also drank either a Gin or Vodka Martini. I did prefer Bombay Sapphire gin and Absolut vodka.

I work at the apartment complex I've lived in for 22 years and for the past 9 years am the Laundry Room Custodian. This job description is a $20 word for janitor.

I have a cat named "Tom" who is a young "Tabby" or orange cat. Actually I am owned by Tom and am in training to be an obedient human!

Great intro and bio Mr. Custodian. Glad to have you aboard. This is a fine group we have here and you'll learn lots about pipes, pipe weed, and the fine art of pipe enjoyment. Hope you'll enjoy your time here.

Cheers,

RR

Welcome to BoB!  I hope you enjoy your time here.  Also, if you enjoy Sauternes and sherry, you might want to look over the range of Madeira (very dry to sweet).

"T"

You have a very eclectic set of experiences and interests. Welcome to BoB.