Hello from Missouri

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgoldberg

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a nearly 60 year old guy from Mid Missouri (Jefferson City area). Quit smoking cigarettes back in 1995, but this past Christmas, my wife got me a pipe. I also have been enjoying smoking cigars for a couple of years at least, with my sons that are into them. Two of their wives both worked in the same cigar bar, and as part of their pay, they could take home one cigar up to $10 in price for each shift. Anyway, I had always been intrigued by the pipe, and now I'm enjoying that. The girls don't work at the bar anymore, and hey, good cigars are expensive!

I started with a gift set from Amazon, from a company called Whitluck's. The set had the pipe, a bunch of cleaners, a multi tool, filters, and screens. Pretty good value for less than $25. The pipe was very heavy, though, and because smoking it was so hard to get the hang of, I nearly decided to give it up!

One of my son's FiL gave him a similar pipe set for Christmas as well. Turned out he liked my pipe a lot better and I liked his better, so we swapped (His was an "Adsorba"). That pipe was a game-changer for me, as the activity really started to pay off. I've watched MANY YouTube videos on pipe smoking in order to improve the experience, and I enjoy the chatter about pipes almost as much as smoking them.

I have also managed to restore two old pipes that I found in antique malls.

So far I have:
1. The Adsorba (from my son)
2. Missouri Meerschaum Cob (bought new, "Country Gentleman" model)
3. A Mastersen pipe (made in Israel) that I restored
4. A Medico 'Standard' that I restored. Has an 'F' on the stem, which I understand they stopped making in 1955

Look forward to participating!

Welcome from New Hampshire! I'm glad to see you added a corncob to your Collection! I toss the filters, I find they sour the smoke over time.

Welcome from New Hampshire! I'm glad to see you added a corncob to your Collection! I toss the filters, I find they sour the smoke over time.
Yes, I ran through most of the filters in the starter kit before I ran into a statement in a video saying "those are for pot smokers...no one that smokes tobacco uses those things." I think that was a bit of hyperbole, but I did find the smoke to be far more enjoyable without the filter. I also tossed the screens.

Welcome from AZ mountain country. Hope you enjoy the forum. Good bunch of folks on here. If you want to add to your collection Ebay is your friend lol.

I have a question to which I cannot find the answer: how long does a new user's posts have to be 'approved' before one can post without delay? Just curious.

Edit: maybe the time has come. I didn't get the notice this time.

Welcome to the group. Yea filters and screens aren't needed for tobacco smoke. I find pipes more enjoyable than cigars and way better than cigarettes. What kind of tobaccos are you smoking?

Welcome to the group. Yea filters and screens aren't needed for tobacco smoke. I find pipes more enjoyable than cigars and way better than cigarettes. What kind of tobaccos are you smoking?
I started with a starter pack from a local tobacconist; four house blends, 1 oz each. I wasn't thrilled with any of them, but I also kind of stank at using my pipe the first few weeks. The first tobacco that made me go, "woah!" was C&D's Autumn Evening. I'd like to support the small business, but he won't even let anyone smell the jars, something about "new industry standards" I suppose linked to COVID, but if I can't test anything, I might as well buy online. At least I get reviews and pretty pictures.

I've also picked up Cult Blood Red Moon, Captain Black, Super Value Whiskey, Mac Baren Golden Extra, and some other cherry I can't remember. I'm planning to acquire as many drug store brands as I can and see if any of those feel like a daily workhorse.

I started with a starter pack from a local tobacconist; four house blends, 1 oz each. I wasn't thrilled with any of them, but I also kind of stank at using my pipe the first few weeks. The first tobacco that made me go, "woah!" was C&D's Autumn Evening. I'd like to support the small business, but he won't even let anyone smell the jars, something about "new industry standards" I suppose linked to COVID, but if I can't test anything, I might as well buy online. At least I get reviews and pretty pictures.

I've also picked up Cult Blood Red Moon, Captain Black, Super Value Whiskey, Mac Baren Golden Extra, and some other cherry I can't remember. I'm planning to acquire as many drug store brands as I can and see if any of those feel like a daily workhorse.
Carter Hall or Sir Walter Raleigh.

I'll be getting both. I also need to pick up some Borkum Riff, which is also locally available. I wish there was a way to pick up tinned tobacco locally, but the tobacconist doesn't carry any.

I'll be getting both. I also need to pick up some Borkum Riff, which is also locally available. I wish there was a way to pick up tinned tobacco locally, but the tobacconist doesn't carry any.
Prince Albert and Granger are otc worth a try. Check out "Tobacco Reviews" site for comparisons.

Welcome Bergy,
Gota love the cobs give ya a
I have a question to which I cannot find the answer: how long does a new user's posts have to be 'approved' before one can post without delay? Just curious.

Edit: maybe the time has come. I didn't get the notice this time.
I had to become a paid up member and walk Jiminks dog for a week, then I had to clean DrT99s house for a week , dont ask what Ranger made me do!! Mind you it wasnt as bad as Timbos jobs hahahaha

Last edited:
Welcome Bergy,
Gota love the cobs give ya a

I had to become a paid up member and walk Jiminks dog for a week, then I had to clean DrT99s house for a week , dont ask what Ranger made me do!! Mind you it wasnt as bad as Timbos jobs hahahaha
Hey, mucking stalls for a week is a small price to pay for membership into such an elite group. At least I didn't ask you to break any mustangs, lol.

Hi everyone. I'm a nearly 60 year old guy from Mid Missouri (Jefferson City area). Quit smoking cigarettes back in 1995, but this past Christmas, my wife got me a pipe. I also have been enjoying smoking cigars for a couple of years at least, with my sons that are into them. Two of their wives both worked in the same cigar bar, and as part of their pay, they could take home one cigar up to $10 in price for each shift. Anyway, I had always been intrigued by the pipe, and now I'm enjoying that. The girls don't work at the bar anymore, and hey, good cigars are expensive!

I started with a gift set from Amazon, from a company called Whitluck's. The set had the pipe, a bunch of cleaners, a multi tool, filters, and screens. Pretty good value for less than $25. The pipe was very heavy, though, and because smoking it was so hard to get the hang of, I nearly decided to give it up!

One of my son's FiL gave him a similar pipe set for Christmas as well. Turned out he liked my pipe a lot better and I liked his better, so we swapped (His was an "Adsorba"). That pipe was a game-changer for me, as the activity really started to pay off. I've watched MANY YouTube videos on pipe smoking in order to improve the experience, and I enjoy the chatter about pipes almost as much as smoking them.

I have also managed to restore two old pipes that I found in antique malls.

So far I have:
1. The Adsorba (from my son)
2. Missouri Meerschaum Cob (bought new, "Country Gentleman" model)
3. A Mastersen pipe (made in Israel) that I restored
4. A Medico 'Standard' that I restored. Has an 'F' on the stem, which I understand they stopped making in 1955

Look forward to participating!
Welcome. I recently took up smoking pipes again after a break of a couple of decades and quitting cigarettes back in 2005, I think it was.

Hope you enjoy the forum and the smoking.