Hello from NYC

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
Cheers from East Harlem!

I'm a student of writing and a novice pipe smoker and collector. Glad to join you nice folks.

Hello Doc and welcome.

Allow me to invite you to a meeting of the NY Pipe Club. We met the second Tuesday of each month at Florio's Grill and Cigar Bar in Little Italy. Our next meeting is June 10th. Hopefully your schedule will allow you to join us one of these months.

You can stay updated at www.newyorkpipeclub.org

Stay well,

Lou, NY

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Lou, thanks especially for the invitation--I don't think I can make the June gathering, but I'm eager to attend.

(Does Florio's have one of the lucky exemptions for indoor smoking? It's tough being a pipe smoker in the city... harder still being a gun owner, but that's a different discussion entirely.)

Hi Doc,

Yes, Florios is lucky enough to have an exemption, grandfathered in. That being said, the owner is in court at least once a month trying to fight citations, etc... which try to thwart that exemption.

It is a shaky arrangement at best and we do not take it for granted. It is indeed tough being a pipe smoker in the city.

Guns! Be sure to leave them at home! Bring your pipes!!!

Lou, NY

Good news. It's heartening to see someone with the dedication to fight.

And never fear--all my firearms are safely kept at relatives' homes in states with less red tape.

DM,

Welcome! What kind of writing ar eyou studying? I used to write quite a bit of prose up thru college. It comes out now and again, but I miss it.

David

DM,

Welcome! What kind of writing ar eyou studying? I used to write quite a bit of prose up thru college. It comes out now and again, but I miss it.

David

David, I'm getting my MFA in poetry writing. I'm not very good with prose myself--always very impressed by people who can sustain engaging character and plot over many pages that way.

I know--a pipe-smoking, whisky-drinking writer is a bit of a stereotype, but it's a very pleasant stereotype to live up to.

There's a few other occasional pipe-smokers in the writing program--mostly women, but that's just because the school is disproportionately female.

Doc Manhattan":cy315569 said:
Good news. It's heartening to see someone with the dedication to fight.

And never fear--all my firearms are safely kept at relatives' homes in states with less red tape.

DM, I don't have any relatives that I trust that much. :lol:
Oregon has a lot less red tape than many places. This means that on the books I own no firearms. :tongue:

Highstump":qvwx0gxb said:
DM, I don't have any relatives that I trust that much. :lol:
Oregon has a lot less red tape than many places. This means that on the books I own no firearms. :tongue:
I trust them 100% with my locked pistols... because I have the keys.

Off-the-books firearms are just too risky given NYC's smothering statute, and on-the-books are impossible to get. Hopefully a Supreme Court opinion on the DC gun statute will lead to reform on that front.