Hello from Ohio!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I just wanted to jump in here and say hello to everyone!

I'm a long time pipe smoker/collector from North Eastern Ohio, just a few short miles from the Football Hall of Fame. I've been smoking pipes regularly for about 10 years now and enjoy a lot of different tobaccos. I'm always interested in hearing about different flavors and blends or just general smoking BS... I also enjoy a good cigar from time to time and have been off again on again with nasal snuffs. When I'm not smoking a pipe I smoke Drum cigarette tobacco.

Outside of that... I'm a father of twins (a Boy and Girl) they just turned 1 in October and it's been one hell of a year so far. Lots of laughs and lot and lots of diapers. But I have loved every minute of it.

I also enjoy reading (when I have time...) and have a ridiculously large book collection. My personal taste is in pulp and horror from the early twentieth century like H.P. Lovecraft but I also like writers such as Charles Bukowski. I've been trying my hand at writing lately and have had two short stories published over the last year which I was pretty excited about.

Um... Other than that I'm pretty much just an average guy who enjoys a good pipe.

Cheers!

Welcome to the brotherhood.

Everything you wanted to know about pipe smoking you can learn right here.

Old Briar":bgh4bdrv said:
I'm always interested in hearing about different flavors and blends or just general smoking BS...
Welcome. Lots of BS about tobaccos here! I hope you join in and enjoy yourself

"T"

Welcome, Old Briar.

It's been years since I have read any Bukowski. "Factotum" was always my personal favorite, that and "Ham on Rye." Have you ever read John Fante?

I'm familiar with Fante but I haven't read any of his work. I might even have a book or two by him but it's hard to say.

I love Bukowski and tell people all the time that you just don't "read" Bukowski... it's more like waking up from a drunken one-night-stand with somebody you would rather forget, having the worst hangover in your life and a strange rash.

His books are something that happen to you and you will be changed after reading them.

Post Office and Factotum are my personal favorites but there are a few parts in Ham on Rye that are burned into my mind forever... His friends mother hitting on him for one.

Welcome to the forum OB, from another one of the Blighty contingent.

Welcome Old Briar. I hope the "Old" is referring to your pipes and not your age. I'm not far behind you, but I'm far from old. Glad to have you.

Hahaha... No the "Old" in my name is in regards to my pipes. I like to collect estate pipes and restore them if possible. About twelve years ago I was at an auction where I bought an entire box of old pipes for $3.00... Ended up with about 30 pipes and a nice tobacco jar along with a bunch of pipe tools and other odds and ends. Most of the pipes were in rough shape but with a little trial and error I brought about 26 of them back to life... That was the start of my pipe collecting... 3 bucks and a box of "old briar"...