Hello from Sunny South Florida

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud31

Reaction score
A bunch of years back while at a Walgreens, on a whim I picked up Dr Grabow Grand Duke and a bag of Super Value Amaretto just to try it out.  Pleasant experience, but put it on the shelf . . . .

Came across that old pipe and decided to have another go at it. Started off with what I knew, this time some McClellands 802 Amaretto, which was great.  After some web-sleuthing and some viewing some great YouTube tips and tutorials, decided to broaden my tobacco horizons, starting simple, with a 'welcome packet' of Capt Black and Borkum Riff from Pipes & Tobacco's.  CB was REALLY great, so much so I went out and got the Cherry, which had really good reviews overall, and wasn't disappointed! BR was all about pacing myself to stay ahead of the bite, which after some reading, found that it is not uncommon with blends heavy with Virginia (also had kind of a cigarette aftertaste.) Sutliffe Maple Walnut kind of had the same effect. I think I'll try it again when I find something to blend it with to cool it down a bit.  Got a little bit of Frog Morton's Cellar from a friend and loved it!

Picked up an estate Oldenkott Super Bruyere on EBay in pristine condition for next to nothing, not a museum piece, but I figured I might want a pipe for non-aromatic blends. So now I have two Billiard "knock-around" pipes that smoke well, its a start.  Also got a Missouri Meerschaum for experimenting with different types of tobacco's going forward.

Its all a learning process, a friend recently told me "If I put a Margarita, a glass of Chardonnay and a shot of Jack on a table and asked you to try each one, your approach to drinking them would be different: you wouldn't 'sip 'n swirl' jack nor would you do a shot of Chardonnay-eventually you will become just as discerning with different tobacco's. Just as you learned how to drink, you'll learn how to smoke, and explore a whole new world.."  Sounded logical to me.

Relaxing, indulgent and just plain fun-pipe smoking has become my Friday night reward for making it through another week!

Glad to be here!!

Greetings and welcome to the BoB. Glad to have you on board. We have plenty of seasoned smokers here that will be glad to answer any questions or offer tips that will make your journey a pleasant adventure. All you have to do is ask. :)

AJ

Welcome to the group Spud! Sounds like you are already having fun in your explorations. Pull up a chair and sit a spell, good to have fresh blood..............