Hello from Tennessee

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Fellow pipe smokers, I've just registered and for a quick intro I was smoking pipes quite a bit with a preference for perique blends. I also occasionally smoke cigars. For various reasons, I've tapered off on both, but still have interest. I really like learning about tobacco types, the culture related to growing them and using them, etc. I grew up raising dark fired, one sucker (dark air cured) and burley tobacco.
I'm going through my old pipe tobacco supply and found an unused tin of Dunhill Elizabethan mixture. I really like Escudo the best. I'm interested in hearing thoughts on should I keep the Dunhill as it is, just smoke it, or pass it on. I'm also curious about other blends that match Escudo.Thanks Swede

I'm in Springfield, so pretty close. I get my tobacco from that town. A couple of good cigar shops and Briar and Bean for cigar and pipe.

Welcome! I lived in Nashville and we got our set of chairs from Springfield about 50 years ago. Hinkle chairs company I think I remembered.

Was just in Springfield last week! Lived in Clarksville when I was at Campbell, so know Henry and love Briar N' Bean. Up In Smoke was also my spot across Wilma Rudolph.

Welcome! I lived in Nashville and we got our set of chairs from Springfield about 50 years ago. Hinkle chairs company I think I remembered.
Yes, it's still going. They sell chairs to Cracker Barrel restaurants. I know one of the Hinkles in the company- Little William.

Welcome! As for me, I'd smoke that tin!
I'm pretty tempted, but hesitant because I know it's out of production and "rare". I doubt I'd get as much out of it as someone who really liked the old Dunhill version. I broke out some PS Bulls Eye flake today, and boy was it good. Think I bought it trying to replace Escudo.

I'm pretty tempted, but hesitant because I know it's out of production and "rare". I doubt I'd get as much out of it as someone who really liked the old Dunhill version. I broke out some PS Bulls Eye flake today, and boy was it good. Think I bought it trying to replace Escudo.
Peterson now produces Elizabethan under it's own name, so it's not really rare. McConnell's Regent Street is also similar. Have you tried Dunhill (again, now Peterson makes/sells it) Deluxe Navy Rolls? Again, McConnell has the very similar Highgate.

Peterson now produces Elizabethan under it's own name, so it's not really rare. McConnell's Regent Street is also similar. Have you tried Dunhill (again, now Peterson makes/sells it) Deluxe Navy Rolls? Again, McConnell has the very similar Highgate.
Ok, I saw some reviews saying it wasn't the same as the old Dunhill. I'll check those others out. Thanks

Welcome Swede!

The last iteration of Dunhill and the current Peterson were/are produced by Scandinavian Tobacco Group but now they own the blends.

Ok, I saw some reviews saying it wasn't the same as the old Dunhill. I'll check those others out. Thanks
Some others may chime in if I'm wrong, but I believe the Peterson versions of the Dunhill products are the same as the last produced under the Dunhill name, but slightly different from older versions.

Some others may chime in if I'm wrong, but I believe the Peterson versions of the Dunhill products are the same as the last produced under the Dunhill name, but slightly different from older versions.

Thank you, that was a good video. I'm glad I'll be able to appreciate the Dunhill EM, and still be able to buy it. While on YT, I branched out into some other higher Perique blends like C&D Chenets Cake, and am pretty intrigued. I have some old straight Perique which I got for playing around with blending. Think I'll smoke a small bowl of that today, then some EM later. It may be a bit of a high stress day, and I like to mellow out with some tobacco.