Hello from the UK

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob D

Reaction score
Hello everybody. My name is Bob; I'm an old timer (73 years old) from the UK. I've been smoking a pipe for fifty years, never taken any harm from it AFAIK), and mean to go on doing it until the UK government bans it or makes it unaffordable, or until I join the heavenly choir. I'm a compulsive collector and amateur restorer of pipes, and a contributor to Tobacco Reviews (as DrDyson). I've smoked many tobaccos in my life; my all-time favourite (please excuse my transatlantic spelling) was Escudo, but that's not now available in the UK. My current staples are Peterson's Dark Flake and Samuel Gawith's St James's Flake, with occasional forays into Skiff mixture; but I'll try anything once. I'd like you all to know how much enjoyment and benefit I've got from reading your posts.

I haven't got the hang of this yet! I think I just posted the same message twice. Or maybe I didn't ...

Last edited:
Why, howdy, pard. Durham is my home town.
Glad to be here. Thank you all for having me.

Best wishes,

Bob

Welcom to the good ship BoB Rob, you could try running the customs gauntlet and order some Escudo from the States. Gotta agree, it is a delish smoke.

Welcom to the good ship BoB Rob, you could try running the customs gauntlet and order some Escudo from the States. Gotta agree, it is a delish smoke.
Thanks for the welcome, Timbo. You're not the first to suggest that, but the British customs are ferociously vigilant and the penalties for smuggling very severe. The British government wants to stamp out smoking by 2030; they'll do it by taxing and regulating tobacco out of existence, and preventing imports. As of now, pipe tobacco has become very difficult to come by except by mail order, though cigarettes are as easy to get as they ever were. No point moaning about it; we have to get by as best we can.

I have a friend in Nottingham and I smoke Dunhills with the white dots and E.A.Carey "magic inch pipes to avoid tongue bite which I assume may be dangerous as well as very uncomfortable. Now smoking Lane Limited 1 or LC 1or something like that....doesn't burn my tongue or mouth.

Thanks for the welcome, Timbo. You're not the first to suggest that, but the British customs are ferociously vigilant and the penalties for smuggling very severe. The British government wants to stamp out smoking by 2030; they'll do it by taxing and regulating tobacco out of existence, and preventing imports. As of now, pipe tobacco has become very difficult to come by except by mail order, though cigarettes are as easy to get as they ever were. No point moaning about it; we have to get by as best we can.

That's a great shame, have the same problem here in Australia, pipe tobacco importation is banned without a license which as an individual is hard to get. Surprise, surprise, the rich toff cigars have not been banned. Let me know if you want more details on how to get stuff via in and I'll PM you.

Welcome aboard pardner, from Arizona high country. Always enjoyed my visits to England. People in the pubs were always very friendly. It does suck when the government tries to control every aspect of ones life. Kind of happening here but we are fighting it. Good luck to you.

Welcome to the BoB!! I/we have family in and around Chester. Visited on several occasions prior this Covid mess. Love the pubs and the wonderful "engine-pulled" beer and ale!!! Looking forward to your comments here!! FTRPLT

Glad to have you with us, Bob. I'm shocked to hear that Escudo is not available in the UK, though it seems like that is a growing trend worldwide. Enjoy your time on B.O.B.