Hello, Hello from london Town....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luapleahcim

Reaction score
This is my very first post about pipes anywhere, so here goes........ (I'll probably post it on some other forums too though)

First of all, a bit of background; I have been smoking Cuban cigars for a while and have become pretty familiar with the whole cigar world (some would argue a little too familiar - I have over 1000 cubans in my humidors at the moment....)

I have another abiding passion for whisk(e)y; primarily single malts from Islay (Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig and so on) as well as top shelf bourbons and Japanese whiskies.

I should point out that I'm not a collector as such, definitely an enjoyer.

So to pipes.

What happened was this:

I have been given (handed down actually) two brand new and extremely beautiful briars. Now, I knew absolutely nothing about pipes (still don't actually) but it started me on a voracious quest for knowledge and info. Much the same as when I began my journeys into the worlds of Havanas and whisky. I become mildly obsessed with every new passion that ignites in me!

I'd better mention what these pipes are. I have (obviously) investigated the internet for info about them.

The first is a Kent Rasmussen smooth bent Dublin with various exotic inlays (I'm not allowed to do direct links yet so you'll need to check out smokingpipes.com if you want to see)

it is one of his highest grades according to his rating system.

the other is an "eagle" grade Teddy Knudsen Elephant's foot; there's a very similar one on smokingpipes.com

Before anyone says anything, I fully intend to smoke these. I firmly believe in using and enjoying things in the way that they are intended - hell, I've smoked cigars costing more than £100 and not regretted it for a moment!

So I'm not going to sell, even though they're both pretty expensive and, presumably, collectable.

These pipes are both completely as they were when they were first made (not certain when that was by the way). In fact, I'd be surprised if they have even left their protective pouches.

My problem is this: until last week I'd never smoked a pipe..... not ever, not even once.

Now being a sensible sort of chap (kind of), I figured it may be worth me actually learning HOW to smoke a pipe before I risked causing damage.

so I went down to St. James' in London where I'd heard about a little stall on a market that sold touristy type bric-a-brac....

BUT this stall was run by a father and son both of whom were makers for the Old Charatan company back in the days when many considered them to be the finest pipes in the world.

In fact, I think Alfred Dunhill came along, bought the name and used the Charatan pipe-makers to make pipes for him; apparently he wasn't happy with the french pipes he was getting at the time.

..... I'm not sure the history of all this, but others can chime in.

Anyway, these two gents (Dennis and John Marshall) make pipes in their little workshop in Barnet. In fact it's really John, the son, that does it all now.

So I decided that the pipes they were selling were likely to be extremely good quality, and I bought a few. (they sell them for £15 each, which I think is a bit of a bargain)

Their pipes are stamped Millville by the way.

So I bought 7 for £80 so I could "rotate" smoking (I had already read that it was a bad idea to continually puff away on one pipe. Also, the idea is to practice this whole "breaking in" thing before I attempt it on the expensive ones and also learn how to smoke a pipe and all that entails.

So far I've had 3 bowls.

I think I'm doing OK, and I am adoring the flavours and experience I'm getting even before I really know what I'm doing.

The problem is that I don't yet have a "yardstick" to go by - someone might say "don't smoke too hot", and I think "how hot is "TOO hot"?

they may say "don't smoke too fast", and I say "but how fast is too fast?...

They advise to fill the bowl so it's not too loose, but not too tight, but I can only guess while I'm gaining experience.

I know I'll learn these things as I go on, and I will enjoy the journey but I do have a worry and a question for everyone here;

It's about "breaking in" a new pipe. I've read/watched/scoured every scrap of info I can find before I attempt it on the expensive pipes.

I should point out that neither has any carbon coating, it's just bare wood inside.

I'm frankly worried that I will do some damage...... help!

I know to smoke slowly.... I know to avoid the bowl becoming too hot (if I can hold it to my cheek for 5 secs, am I ok?)

is it ok for the bowl to feel really quite warm, but not so it's uncomfortable?

these are things I want to get right. I plan to get more used to my Millvilles before I go anywhere near the Rasmussen and Knudsen, but I don't actually know if I'm getting this "building a cake" thing right....

it seems ok based on my 3 bowls so far, but I don't know.

Sorry about this ramble incidently....

Tobaccos were another thing.

I sort of guessed in the tobacconist. At this point I hadn't done any investigating.

My instinct told me to avoid aromatics, I figured they wouldn't be to my liking, so I bought dunhill 965, early morning flake, nightcap, Red rapparee and black mallory - can't recall the brand - Robert lewis 123 mixture, Dunhill flake.

I've had some of the nightcap, 123 mix and 965 so far. I enjoyed them all, but will be looking towards trying some "stronger" blends too. I now know that I love latakia (I didn't even know what this was three weeks ago) and perique. I liked the cigar-like profile of the 123 mix too.

This whole pipe world is opening up for me..... I know it will become a new passion for me along with the cuban cigars. Based on what I've tried so far, I want more!

Please can someone tell me how I should approach smoking these two special pipes for the first time?

I'll stop now before I come across as a complete rambling idiot.....

peace, best wishes and plumes of thick fragrant smoke from the big smoke in the UK.

Paul

Welcome!!!

Unfortunately I can't help you with any of the questions you have as I am very new to this as well, but I will be following along to see what other have to say about it!!

Welcome, Paul. Great introduction, by the by. Don't worry too much about doing it "wrong". There are numerous threads on this board (and others) that will tell how others have broken in their pipes, but do what you think is right. or what tastes good, and you'll figure it out soon. Just don't fry your tongue from puffing too fast, and everything else is the joy of experimentation.

Lots-o-puro puffers here, so you're in familiar company. Enjoy the learning experience and please continue to share your perspectives and experiences.

Natch

Welcome to the BoB forums Paul! :)

If your bowl becomes warm enough that you start laying it against your cheek to check it, chances are your instincts are correct. Lay it aside, and come back to it in 10 or 15 minutes. Once you spiderweb the bottom of a $500 pipe, giving your pipes time to cool will be an easy thing to do. ;)

Paul,

Welcome to the forum. Brother Natch hit it on the head when he suggested browsing this site. You will find that some things about the pipe are fairly universal, while others are based on your individual preferences. All of us have made our blunders, but it looks like you are taking some precautions. When you can, post some photos of those two future smokers, I wouldn't mind seeing them.

Welcome!
Nice intro. I like to keep a list of pipes I'd like to own someday, and Rasmussen and Knudsen are both in the "yeah right" part of my list, as in, " I'd like one, but will probably never own one".
So, congratulations, those are pretty special pieces.
Visit the forum often, and smoke often!

Well, I posted my "hello" on a number of forums and I have to say that it's true that pipe people are the most friendly and welcoming bunch!

I'd like to add to my original post regarding the pipes I acquired....

I got the two Danish pipes yes; but these were not the pick of the collection I can tell you (closer friends and family came before me)

One of the reasons that selling isn't an option for me is in homage to the fact that the owner of the collection used to smoke some amazingly rare and pricey pipes regularly.

eg he had a lot of Dunhills, and he had some that were a complete set based around Dickens' christmas carol I think (each pipe had its own "book" to keep it in)

these were his regular smoke I believe.

anyway, I've since found out that these are quite valuable and probably not smoked by many people if they 'collect' pipes.

I'm still enjoying my quest for tobaccos... I ordered some more that I reckon I'll like (some Penzance, mcclelland blackwoods and solani burley), but I'm still in the early stages of trying stuff.

I've been smoking Black mallory, red rapparee, Full english flake, squadron leader, Royal yacht, consummate gentleman, bankers, scottish cake. Just bought Nightcap and irish flake bu8t not opened yet.

Today I met up with a great guy I hooked up with on puff.com.

He's over from the states (arrived yesterday), and he brought me some Northwoods...... I couldn't resist; I'm smoking it right now, and It's all true this stuff is glorious!

I have to get more of this, seriously!

He also slipped some epiphany by cornell and deihl in his package, which was an unexpected generosity. I think I came out better in this particular deal (I only got him some Condor long flake), but I'll be sure to make it up to him next time.

So, in all seriousness, if anybody here would be willing to get hold of some Northwoods for me for a trade I'd be very very grateful... I can get you whatever you'd like from over here (or a millville).

Happy continued and contented puffing from (not so) sunny London.

P

Harlock999":45i4g1fh said:
Welcome!
Nice intro. I like to keep a list of pipes I'd like to own someday, and Rasmussen and Knudsen are both in the "yeah right" part of my list, as in, " I'd like one, but will probably never own one".
Another Floyd man I see.... my favorite group of all time !

luapleahcim":b85pevsb said:
Harlock999":b85pevsb said:
Welcome!
Absolutely!

Harlock999":6b4rp14e said:
luapleahcim":6b4rp14e said:
Harlock999":6b4rp14e said:
Welcome!
Absolutely!
I'm in London, so you're a distant pipe smoke on the horizon for sure.... still a brother of the briar though!

luapleahcim said:
Harlock999":g4yf1kod said:
luapleahcim":g4yf1kod said:
Harlock999":g4yf1kod said:
Welcome!
Absolutely!

I'm in London, so you're a distant pipe smoke on the horizon for sure.... still a brother of the briar though!
Excellent! Always great to "meet" another Floyd friend. "Distant pipe smoke on the horizon", love it!

not sure I should ask why the Liverpool FC.... (are you a brit abroad?)

Got 8oz of penzance in the post yesterday..... decanted it into 4 jars so i can spread it out over some time; I have to say that the smell is unbelievable when you open it!
in fact, having thrown out the 8oz pouch, I lifted the lid on the bin this morning and this huge aroma wafted out.... great bin-freshener then, those empty packages....

heaven #1 = Vienna 1992..... Pulse tour (and again Earls Court...)
heaven #2 = after 12 hours of no water/food/comfort..... live8 2005..... right near the front for the big reunion.

luapleahcim":o1biem14 said:
not sure I should ask why the Liverpool FC.... (are you a brit abroad?)

Got 8oz of penzance in the post yesterday..... decanted it into 4 jars so i can spread it out over some time; I have to say that the smell is unbelievable when you open it!
Well, I spent some time in Europe in the early nineties, and I picked up the habit of watching football. I happened to be in Ipswich for an FA cup tie with LFC, and the atmosphere was so unlike any sporting event I could remember. I was originally a Barcelona fan, but I've become perversely attracted to sides that don't win anything. I like AS Roma as well. Maybe it's the fallen grandeur...

As for Penzance, I know which you speak! The smell is amazing, smoked and unsmoked!

Cheers, and shine on!
Chris

Milville pipes are great. You can ask them which pipes are "clean" (without fills); they are a bit higher in price. I visited their stall near Picadilly many times while I still traveled to London on business (retired now)...

I am jealous of those who can smoke and accumulate Cubans !!

NeroWolfe":ohgfwtj8 said:
Milville pipes are great. You can ask them which pipes are "clean" (without fills); they are a bit higher in price. I visited their stall near Picadilly many times while I still traveled to London on business (retired now)...

I am jealous of those who can smoke and accumulate Cubans !!
Question for you about fills..... I know this may sound stupid, but I'm not sure how to spot them(!); should it be obvious?
I've looked at my Millvilles and there are some "spots", but they may be markings in the briar, I don't know....

luapleahcim: In the "worst" case, a fill looks like a light colored area on a smooth pipe that sticks out like a sore thumb and will remain light in color while the pipe gets darker with smoking. A fill is done to smooth the surface of a pipe with a surface "defect" like a sandpit or small crevice. These sandpits or crevices might not look very good, or might be large, so putty is used to fill in the area. Sandpits do no harm to a pipe; filling them is purely a visual thing. Small fills might not be noticeable in a new pipe, and may or may not start to show up as a lighter area as you smoke a pipe and it darkens. If the fill is on the very bottom of the bowl, or the stem, it may never show up in a very noticeable manner if it is small. Much of this is aesthetics, as a pipe with a small fill, or a few fills, will in fact generally smoke fine. In fact, one of my best smoking, "tasty" pipes, is a smooth Ben Wade that I purchased in the mid 1970's that has a number of really big fills (was a "deal" at $ 10 at the time)...The fills over time look terrible as the pipe has darkened, but the pipe smokes very well! One can say that there are elements of snobbery concerning fills. Some say that even the very high end pipe-makers may fill tiny sandpits, but most do not. Castello, as an example, never fills even the smallest sandpits, and insists on a natural, honest pipe. There have been raging debates and accusations over the years about the use of fills in high-end pipes!!!!!!

BTW...If a pipe has many fills, it should probably have been sandblasted or rusticated; even sandblasted pipes have fills as well if there were sandpits or crevices large enough to warrant remediation. If the sandblasted pipe has a very dark finish, you will generally never see the fill, even over time. On the other hand, a very light color stained sandblast or rusticated pipe will probably show any fills it has over time as the pipe darkens. Dunhill and Castello (and most other higher-ends) light colored sandblast pipes never have fills for this reason.

Thanks Nero,
I'm actually going to be seeing John tomorrow, so I'll ask him about fills etc on his pipes (he's making me a "special order" set)

luapleahcim: Great! Ask John if he remembers the heavy ("fat") American with a beard who used to come by for pipes. I probably purchased 10 or 12 from him over the years.