Hello there chaps

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briarbabe

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a good long while. I thought I'd poke my head in and say hello and let you know where I've been.

It's been nearly six months since my life was turned inside out and my mom passed away, all in one month and I can say with perfect clarity and honesty that I feel the ship has finally turned around. I am doing very well. My kiddos are doing very well. I have been doing some internal house keeping and letting go of old baggage as well as bad habits, etc. I am getting my proverbial crap together as it were.

I've been working as a barista at Barnes & Noble since April, but I recently got myself a very good job as the administrative support assistant in Donor Relations at Penn State. I start on August 1st and I couldn't be more excited. I am looking forward to a normal schedule again and a real chance for personal and professional growth. I will be sad to say good bye to the crew at the cafe as I made some wonderful friends there. However, it's time to move upward!

Last month I sat in an auditorium and cried myself to pieces as my daughter graduated from high school. I had no idea 18 years would go so fast and so slow all at once. It was a great day and also bittersweet as I know that she and I both wished my mother could have lived long enough to see that day. She is off to community college for two years before transferring into a four year school and getting her nursing degree. She has a good head on her shoulders and she's made some good decisions via schooling and her future. With my job at Penn State she has the chance to finish up down here and walk away with very little student debt.

My boys are both doing well. Switching schools and getting my little guy's adhd meds straightened out has been a huge help and he finished his kindergarten year as one of his teachers favorites and with two awards: most improved reader and most improved over all. I couldn't be prouder or happier. My wee littlest guy is in speech therapy and progressing amazingly. Each time I see him I'm amazed at how much easier he is to understand.

Letting go of the notion that "mom is best" and making the decision to step down as a full time parent has been the single hardest decision of my life, but I am seeing the fruit of that decision as these kids blossom in a much more stable environment. All of us are happier and healthier for it and I don't regret my decision for a moment.

As I mentioned, I am doing very well. The foundations of my life were shaken to their very core this winter and I can honestly say that 2013 (early 2014) was the hardest year of my life. It has forced me to take stock of where I was headed, let go of my past, and move forward. And forward I am moving. This new job at Penn State is just the beginning.

I think I mentioned getting my motorcycle license and my first motorcycle a while ago. I'm really enjoying it now. I've finally reached the point where it's actually fun and not terrifying. Of course I spent two entire months tearing that bike apart and going over it with a fine tooth comb, tuning it up before I actually got to ride again. Andy taught me an amazing amount as we worked on the bike. I learned so much and I'm eager to learn more. I smell a project bike in the future!

I picked up a little no name pipe at a flea market last month with the intent of cleaning it up. I finally got the chance to do so tonight and it cleaned up beautifully. I'm looking forward to my first smoke with it tomorrow. In the meantime I got thinking about all of you and the companionship I enjoyed here and decided I'd get my butt back over here. I hope all is well with you folks. I missed you.

Right on.

Glad you're doing well, and nice to see you back here once again.

Sorry to hear about your mom's passing. I lost my mom last year and it's been tough.

Congrats on the new job!  :D 

Take Care.

Thank you, she passed away on Valentine's Day. It's been a journey to say the least. There are so many things going on in my life that I want to share with her. I know that just remembering her in that way, I am doing just that. I knew when I walked out of that job interview at Penn State that she would have been proud of me. :)

So sorry about your mother. It does get better. On the other hand I'm so excited for you! I hope your new job is everything you need it to be. Super news about the kiddos too! I know your mother would be proud of all of you. Enjoy that bike too. Feel free to visit us old reprobates anytime! We've missed you!

Jim

Good to see you are still around. Sounds like you've done a lot of hard work in addressing your life and are getting good results from your efforts. You are to be admired and respected for this !! And remember with your new scooter, keep it rubber side down ! Glad to hear from you again "babe"  :twisted: :twisted:

Glad to see all is doing better for you. May things keep heading in a positive direction.

Nice to see you back, and to know that things are looking up. Best of luck at the new job. Just remember, universities are crazy places to work!

Brewdude":54x069hy said:
Great to hear your news. And HB a few weeks ago.

Cheers,

RR
Thanks! It was my very last birthday. I turned 35 and decided I'm done, I'm stopping here. I like my thirties. ;)

DrT999":8cp5pmkm said:
Nice to see you back, and to know that things are looking up.  Best of luck at the new job.  Just remember, universities are crazy places to work!
My sweetie and a friend of mine also work there, I have received fair warning. :D

I'm very glad to hear that your life has turned around for you for the good. Sometimes
it takes a 2x4 to smack us in the back of the head to get us to open our eyes and motivated . Been there, done that, and back again, seems life is full of unexpected turns and we just gotta be ready for anything.
And about staying 35,...............Good luck with that, I said the same thing 25 years ago,time moves on and in the blink of an eye your there. It's hard for me to believe from the time I was 20 that 40 years has passed already.
Stop this fricken train, I want off!  ;) 

Awesome news, BB. I really do believe we are captains of our fate, ruling out disease or being run over by a truck. Thanks for dropping by. As for aging, I once had the theory that at 39 the numbers start going backwards, but this only works for about a decade. Imagine a 59-year-old walking around telling everyone he was 19. Didn't work at all.

Cartaphilus":1dg8k7qt said:
I'm very glad to hear that your life has turned around for you for the good. Sometimes
it takes a 2x4 to smack us in the back of the head to get us to open our eyes and motivated...  
I have a friend that calls this process "getting smacked by the clue by 4."

Fr_Tom":t0s4y9i6 said:
Cartaphilus":t0s4y9i6 said:
it takes a 2x4 to smack us in the back of the head to get us to open our eyes and motivated...  
I have a friend that calls this process "getting smacked by the clue by 4."
I like that! I'll have to remember that one.

Great to see you back...I do seem to remember you were hitting a rough patch (understatement, to say the least) the last time you were around these parts - glad to hear things are turning back in the right direction. We're all rooting for you (but you know that, I'm sure). Don't be a stranger!!!