Hello

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purple Grant

Reaction score
Hi,
Yet another new guy.
I'm 30, from Scotland, bought my first pipe three years ago on my honeymoon (got 14 now)
I'm just at the point where aromatics are giving way to English blends.

How you all doing?

Umm I think we have a rule against Scotsmen...

Just kidding Welcome aboard.. Care to tell us a bit about the pipe scene over there???

Prices,availability, favored brands..etc etc

Smart move - buying your first pipe on honeymoon. Good wife you've got there - hang on to her. Welcome Grant. And here I was thinking the only pipes of interest to Scotsmen were bagpipes. Ok, I guess all the Scottish jibes will end soon - guess you're used to it.

Muddler":bh6mh2qg said:
... Ok, I guess all the Scottish jibes will end soon - guess you're used to it.
Are you kidding? We haven't even gotten to "kilt" jibes yet! :p

Welcome, PG :clown:

puros_bran":ihu3jg5t said:
Care to tell us a bit about the pipe scene over there???
Prices,availability, favored brands..etc etc
Terrible! Glasgow had one great proper old-world pipe and cigar shop "Herbert Love" and that shut down on new years day after being there for decades (Got a calabash in the closing down sale as a minor consolation though)

Now, basically all you can get in stores is Clan, Condor or occasionally St. Bruno or Gold Block. None of which are very nice at all.
There's one small newsagent that's got a few Kendal and Peterson tobaccos and a couple of pipes. But it's not a pipe shop (They've no knowledge or interest, just stock a few things.)

A sad state of affairs I think you'll agree. So I'm online for my pipe needs now. (Eagerly awaiting my first couple of pipes I've ordered from Frenchy, after hearing so many good things.)

Pipe smoking is pretty rare here these days (not historically though). To the extent that I always make a big impression when I'm out with my pipe because it's so rare to see a young(ish) man with one.

Thank god for the internet!

Hello Grant. It's rare to see anyone with a pipe in my neck of the woods. It really seems odd to me. When I was kid you couldn't throw a rock without hitting someone smoking a pipe. :confused:

Piping in the States has seen a small surge over the past few years, mostly Cigar smokers making the switch. Granted it isn't anything like the glory days but I occasionally pass someone smoking.

Keep up the good fight.