Hello

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave1066

Reaction score
Hello My names Dave

I'm from the UK. I have been smoking pipes from about 23-24 years old. Now 30. I have a nice little pipe collection. I have smoked off the shelf tobaccos from corner shops etc, smoked English blends, Aromatics, VB flakes, American blends, and rope tobacco ( only real men need apply, I will leave that...). Probably some I forgot. I seem to have settled on Aromatics, usually Vanilla. My current favorite is Rattrays High Society. I am currently starting to experiment with flakes some more. Currently smoking Peterson University flake.

I received a free sample of HU tobacco United Passion Flanagan flake when I brought a second hand Stanwell pipe ( fully restored ). To this day it was one of the most flavorsome smoke I have ever had. But the nicotine strength was to high. Flanagan is described as " Ethereal Orient grades from the best growing regions of Bulgaria and strong dark fired Kentucky tobaccos characterise the Flanagan flake. Sweet Zambia Virginia, a touch of Perique and hand-stripped Virginia's from India round out this powerful and superbly blend. A full-bodied, but elegant flake for friends of spicy and natural tobaccos. "

The Flanagan flake is the reason why I am moving to flake tobacco and straight tobaccos with no casing or topping.

So I am going to try a English blend sampler pack after the festive season.

I will stop wittering on!

Ey up Dave. Welcome to BOB. You'll find that Blighty is well represented here, and some of your fellow mates from the UK will be along anytime to give you a proper greeting.

Cheers,

RR

Hussah! Another fine fellow from Blighty!

Welcome Dave! Always good to have another representative from our island. We're massively outnumbered here old boy, but don't let that put you off. We all get on famously, no rotten types here.

I'm from Devon originally but work has taken me on a long journey and am currently in Shropshire. My brother headed east and like you is in Crossways near Dorchester.

Looking forward to sharing many posts with you mate. Now, kick back, fire up a bowl and enjoy...!

Post up some pics for us too. Glad to have some new members on here. :bounce:

Hey there, Dave! Welcome from Virginia, USA! I haven't tried Flanagan but, man, that sounds incredible. No shipping to the states though. :(

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Stick, Devon has some lovely places. I live near Wimborne. Yes its good I found a board which is friendly and has some Brits to throw into the mix.

I shall add photos of my pipe collection later.

Well here are the photos of my pipes.

wp_20114.jpg

Top pipe is Meerschaum lions head
Next down is Peterson 313 system bent billiard pipe
Next down Dr Plumb 5081 bent billiard pipe
Next down Stanwell Bamboo hand carved bent Dublin pipe
Bottom Clay pipe

Hope you like :)

At the moment I would have to say my Dr Plumb, Stick. But my Stanwell isn't broken in yet so..I do like that look of the Stanwell and I think all the extra wood helps to keep the pipe/smoke cooler.

Dave1066":09xjkxxj said:

Bottom Clay pipe

I do, indeed! Love that meer lion's head. That's something on my acquisition list. You already have briar, meer, and clay covered. Now, you need to add a cob and something metal to complete the experience.

yes must add a cob, had my eye on one for awhile now. Had a metal Falcon filter pipe. Smoke tasted horrible. Chucked it away. I shall have to try another metal pipe.

Dave1066":tnzuecp0 said:
At the moment I would have to say my Dr Plumb, Stick. But my Stanwell isn't broken in yet so..I do like that look of the Stanwell and I think all the extra wood helps to keep the pipe/smoke cooler.
Yup Dave, that Stanwell looks quite the pleasing handful; most satisfying in the hand. Looks like a plateau cut too. I'm liking the others aswell. That 'meer should get a wonderful patina use that will be quite unique.

Dave1066":wll0i0iv said:

wp_20114.jpg

Bottom Clay pipe

Very attractive pipes Dave. The Dr Plumb is one of my favorite shapes. Looks like a p-lip on that Pete. How do you like that?

Looks like a great start on your collection. Hang around here long enough and you'll have many times that when PAD sets in!

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Stick":wkwvl61d said:
Dave1066":wkwvl61d said:
Yup Dave, that Stanwell looks quite the pleasing handful; most satisfying in the hand.  Looks like a plateau cut too.  I'm liking the others aswell.  That 'meer should get a wonderful patina use that will be quite unique.
Yes the Meer is starting to take on a nice patina now, Some reds and pale yellow colours coming through. Actually the lions eyes are turning red. But it is one of the pipes I smoke the least. Will have to put it into rotation.